BA charter flights listed on BASource

Old Jan 5, 20, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
BA charter flights listed on BASource

I'm sure there must be a thread about this somewhere - hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

On BASource, there are a number of news items about BA operating charter flights in the last few days, for example "British Airways A320 G-GATL Operates Gatwick – Lyon Charter." There are quite a lot of them.

Are these BA Holiday flights, or are they planes that have been chartered for ski holidays for another travel company?

And are these the planes that aren't in use for BA scheduled flights because it's winter, and BA will put them onto their summer scheduled flights later in the year?

I'm just curious....
Old Jan 5, 20, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by ttama View Post
I'm sure there must be a thread about this somewhere - hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

On BASource, there are a number of news items about BA operating charter flights in the last few days, for example "British Airways A320 G-GATL Operates Gatwick – Lyon Charter." There are quite a lot of them.

Are these BA Holiday flights, or are they planes that have been chartered for ski holidays for another travel company?

And are these the planes that aren't in use for BA scheduled flights because it's winter, and BA will put them onto their summer scheduled flights later in the year?

I'm just curious....
yes they have been chartered and aren’t BA flights nor BA holidays. Winter schedule gives a fair number of planes available to charter.
Old Jan 5, 20, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
yes they have been chartered and aren’t BA flights nor BA holidays. Winter schedule gives a fair number of planes available to charter.
Thanks. I had no idea they did this. Do BA also provide the cabin crew & catering, etc?
Old Jan 5, 20, 11:14 am

I'm just curious....
There are various tour operators such as Mark Warner that charter BA aircraft for ski holidays. This is a quiet time of year for BA.
Old Jan 5, 20, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
cabin crew will be part of the package

catering can be part of the package and is dependant what the company/person chartering the aircraft wants to provide. it is not necessarily BA BoB
Old Jan 5, 20, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Thanks. I had no idea they did this. Do BA also provide the cabin crew & catering, etc?
that depends on the negotiation between whoever is chartering, but it will generally include crew.

to charter you need to email bacityflyer[email protected] or [email protected].
Old Jan 5, 20, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Barrhead travel charters BA and has a list of "BA routes" operated by Barrhead travel on their website

https://www.barrheadtravel.co.uk/bar...travel-flights

I think these tend to be BA CItyflyer aircraft
Old Jan 5, 20, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by navylad View Post
that depends on the negotiation between whoever is chartering, but it will generally include crew.

to charter you need to email [email protected][email protected] or [email protected].
It will always increase the crew. BA have not dry leased any aircraft for many years.
Old Jan 5, 20, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post
Barrhead travel charters BA and has a list of "BA routes" operated by Barrhead travel on their website

This link above is for 2019.
BACF are proposing GLA-PMI as a scheduled service for summer 2020.

Btw charter flights with BA flight numbers have BA as the operating air carrier for EC261/2004 purposes and similarly with CJ flight numbers have BACF as the operating air carrier.

Last edited by richardwft; Jan 5, 20 at 12:04 pm
Old Jan 5, 20, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post

Barrhead's website says "Here is a list of our British Airways routes, operated by Barrhead Travel." but I think Barrhead will find these are operated by BA and sold by Barrhead. BA has an Air Operator's Certificate and Barrhead does not.
Old Jan 5, 20, 4:29 pm

Barrhead T won't be giving two hoots who has a certificate as they've dropped BACF for S20 (hence first scheduled planned PMI route, and hopefully others)
richardwft likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Barrhead's website says "Here is a list of our British Airways routes, operated by Barrhead Travel." but I think Barrhead will find these are operated by BA and sold by Barrhead. BA has an Air Operator's Certificate and Barrhead does not.
Accuracy is not Barrhead Travel’s strong point - they (used to?) advertise all seats on the chartered Cityflyer aircraft as “BA premium economy”!
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I thought the same but rather than trying to insinuate they are operating the flight I think they really meant to say the flight was operated/charterd exclusively for them and just didn't word it well.
Old Jan 5, 20, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'm sure they're trying to say the seats on the aircraft are all theirs and not any more than that. However if anyone wants to get picky about it Barrhead could be in regulatory warm (probably not hot) water since UK (and EU) regulations do have things to say about the customer being informed who the operator of the flight is, and that means the AOC holder.
Old Jan 8, 20, 5:36 pm

Would anyone be able to answer a quick question about chartering

In April i need to fly around 120/30 people to SOF. Would I make much of saving if I Charted a plane from BA/Titian.

The procurement manager at our company is rather conservative/dull and doing something as exciting as chartering a plane will sound terrifying.

The downsides are everyone has to fly at the same time so lack of flexibility. But If the price of the seat is far lower and we also get the entire belly to ship out our cargo plus the benefit of not additonal baggage charges for 120 people. i think I could put as case together for them to approach BA or Titian.

So is there a saving ? If so roughly how much.

Are there any charges we have to pay such as landing fees or is that included in the price.

thanks in advance.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: