Wiki Posts
Search

LATAM leaving OneWorld [30 April 2020]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
LATAM leaving OneWorld [30 April 2020]

It’s being reported that Delta will purchase 20% of LATAM. As a result the airline will leave OneWorld (hence the BA connection).

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/09/26/...mpression=true

LATAM will be leaving the OneWorld alliance, but it was not immediately clear whether it would join SkyTeam, the group that includes Delta and its partners.”

I wonder what effect this will have on BA’s Southern America ops. They were never that strong and now losing their partner can’t help.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:28 pm

Disappointing as LATAM were a nice airline with fantastic South American coverage. Leaves a big hole for Oneworld after losing Mexicana a while back. Most other Latin American carriers are basket cases or not worth bothering with
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Disappointing as LATAM were a nice airline with fantastic South American coverage. Leaves a big hole for Oneworld after losing Mexicana a while back. Most other Latin American carriers are basket cases or not worth bothering with
Agreed, definitely creates a big gap for OW in SA.

Regards
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Interesting. This is going to change quite a few things. I wonder, though, if it is such an issue because alliances per se appear to have less importance than they used to.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:58 pm

There go the 40TP I was going to earn in April between MAD and FRA - assuming they leave Oneworld by then. Ah well, nevermind!
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, KLM Platinum, SQ Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Platinum
That makes things quite interesting in SA, specially in Brazil, since Gol is/was a big partner of Skyteam airlines in the region and a direct competitor of LATAM.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by squawk
There go the 40TP I was going to earn in April between MAD and FRA - assuming they leave Oneworld by then. Ah well, nevermind!
These things take a long time - I’d expect a full year or more’s notice.
squawk, nancypants and Nephoi like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
SA market is very uncompetitive with only 2 big players. Latam and Avianca. If latam joins skyteam OW would pretty much have no routes apart from a few with BA and Iberia.
nancypants and Nephoi like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
AA flies to a few cities too. But there won't be any connection opportunities.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a bad move for Latam, partnering with the best quality NA airline. I think the days of Alliances as the driver of airline integration are firmly over.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I really hope they won’t leave within the next 3 months...

I have spent lots of £££ on flights with them them in South America which are part of my plan to keep Gold!
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Not very happy as I was planning to visit Easter Island and other locations with them in the near future. Oh well...
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
That is such a shame as I travel quite frequently to Brazil and surrounding countries on LATAM. I hope the regulators don't approve the purchase by Delta and instead the JV talks resume with AA - Wishful thinking but you never know.
Arsey00 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
LATAM are great and pretty disappointed with this - those who want to go MPN I suggest you get cracking. There’s also a new GRU-MPN route coming but I’ll be flying that it seems without any benefits!

Had great trips to MPN/CUZ/PUQ/SCL with LATAM connections and having OneWorld benefits do make a difference.

Nothing lasts forever though
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:13 am

They supposedly decided to leave OW and hook up with Delta due to the Chilean govt refusing the joint venture with AA. Why would they subsequently approve one with DL?
Arsey00 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.