LATAM leaving OneWorld [30 April 2020]

Old Jan 31, 20, 4:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Posted on London Air Travel several minutes ago

https://londonairtravel.com/2020/01/...30-april-2020/

“LATAM Airlines and its affiliates will formally leave the Oneworld alliance on 30 April 2020”

”This means that from Friday 1 May 2020, members of Oneworld alliance frequent flyer programmes will not be able to earn Avios/miles and status credits/tier points when flying on LATAM Airlines under LATAM Airlines flight numbers. Nor will they be entitled to benefits by virtue of frequent flyer status such as additional baggage allowances, access to priority check-in and boarding facilities and departure lounges when flying on LATAM Airlines.

Passengers will also not be able to access LATAM Airlines lounges when flying business and First Class on other Oneworld alliance member airlines.

This also applies to LATAM Airlines affiliates including LATAM Airlines Argentina, LATAM Airlines Brazil, LATAM Airlines Columbia, LATAM Airlines Ecuador, and LATAM Airlines Peru.”
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oneworld new release

https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...ive-1-May-2020

31 Jan 2020
LATAM to leave oneworld effective 1 May 2020

LATAM Airlines Group will end its membership in the oneworld® alliance effective 1 May 2020, following the group’s decision to leave the alliance.

oneworld benefits for LATAM customers will be offered on oneworld flights up to and including 30 April 2020. LATAM Pass members will not receive oneworld frequent flyer benefits offered by Royal Air Maroc, which joins oneworld effective 1 April. LATAM will not offer oneworld frequent flyer member benefits to Royal Air Maroc Safar Flyer members.

<snip>

All redemption tickets that have been ticketed up to 30 April 2020 remain valid for travel, however, customers will not be eligible for oneworld tier status benefits if travel occurs after 30 April 2020.

A number of oneworld member airlines plan to maintain frequent flyer agreements with LATAM after 30 April. Customers are advised to contact their airlines or visit the airlines’ frequent flyer programme websites for more information.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 31, 20 at 4:47 pm Reason: added quote
Old Feb 2, 20, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
LATAM baggage allowance after 1st May

I go kitesurfing in N.E. Brazil every November (one 23 Kg bag and one oversized 32Kg). Just booked LHR-GRU-FOR for this year and to my horror I see that my Silver status will not be honoured on LATAM after 1st May. It's not at all clear what I will have to pay for the extra baggage on the two LATAM sectors . The BA website says
  • If your journey includes a mix of BA and other airline codes (e.g. AA1122 or IB3210) you will get the allowance of the most significant carrier – usually the airline operating the longest part of the journey.
Does this refer only to One World members? If I check in Manage my Booking it refers me to the LATAM baggage rules on their website which are pretty opaque and complicated

I'm booked in Club on BA for the transatlantic sectors, and they've booked me economy on the outward GRU-FOR and Premium Economy on the FOR-GRU sectors.

Any advice?
Old Feb 2, 20, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Have a look at this thread

Old Feb 2, 20, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Have a look at this thread
And from the OW news release
oneworld benefits for LATAM customers will be offered on oneworld flights up to and including 30 April 2020.
Been reported on FT that LATAM and BA (and some other OW airlines) will continue to have a frequent flyer relationship. But as a guess I would expect that not to include benefits of BA status. IMHO you will need to pay $ to LATAM for the extra baggage
Old Feb 2, 20, 11:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
So what hppens to all my LATAM bookings post 1may? I bought in good faith of earning TPs as previously suggested LATAM was exiting in september...
Old Feb 3, 20, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Peon, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
So what hppens to all my LATAM bookings post 1may? I bought in good faith of earning TPs as previously suggested LATAM was exiting in september...
I’ve seen a couple of articles suggesting that LATAM will maintain partnerships with just about everyone except AA (e.g. OMAAT) and that make it sound like they will be two-way earn/burn - but as yet no actual citations for that info. We can only wait on BA/LATAM to know whether that includes TPs too - or if it’s like AS. Big loss for oneworld this!
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
As others have said, it is pretty relevant how exactly they define the BA/IB to LA relationship. What does it mean in terms of TP, lounge access etc.? Arguably, IB/BA and in the future perhaps UX have a very good network of direct flights from Europe to Latin America, which includes even secondary destinations in some countries (e.g. MDE on IB, FOR on UX). But they still need a partner for intra-Latin American flights.
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, OWE
So, what does this mean to us in practical terms - e.g. if we do a round trip to Bogota on Iberia after 1 May, is there a lounge us OWS/OWE's can use or are we stuck in the terminal/hunting for a pay lounge? Or are we expecting BA/IB to maintain a relationship where we can use the LATAM lounges?
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:34 am

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
Originally Posted by drwook View Post
So, what does this mean to us in practical terms - e.g. if we do a round trip to Bogota on Iberia after 1 May, is there a lounge us OWS/OWEs can use or are we stuck in the terminal/hunting for a pay lounge? Or are we expecting BA/IB to maintain a relationship where we can use the LATAM lounges?
We can only assume that the BA/IB and LA relationship will be that like with any other non-oneworld partner: no lounge access unless specified. They might continue using LA lounges for F/J class pax, but OWS/OWEs probably wouldn't get in anymore.
Old Feb 18, 20, 2:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
But what about the TPs and avios? Being based in South america it's sort of important to know whether i should continue booking or choose Avianca
Old Feb 18, 20, 3:07 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver
Hi all. I'm flying LATAM from Rio to Sao Paulo. I didn't book through LATAM directly as their website kept crashing everytime I tried to purchase the booking (I tried FIVE times)! So as a result - I booked with Lastminute.com... I couldn't put my BAEC number into the relevant box during the booking process as there wasn't an option! The LATAM team said I can only do it as check in now?! Now LATAM have announced they're leaving earlier than what I expected - I will be flying LATAM after they leave OneWorld.

Will I still be entitled to free checked bags as I booked it under the presumption they wouldn't be leaving OneWorld before I travel with them? I booked it before they made the announcement that they're leaving?! I know I won't get tier points or avios (which I don't care about seeing as it's only 52 avios) but the baggage is a huge thing as I knew I'd get it for free being BA Silver! I would have chosen GOL or Azul otherwise!

I am flying First Class back to Heathrow with BA from Sao Paulo... will BA still be using the Latam lounge in Sao Paulo or will they be using another lounge in Sao Paulo? If the latter is the case - any idea which lounge it could be?

Thanks guys!
Old Feb 18, 20, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
1. Try contacting Latam via Twitter DM, they seem to be pretty responsive and may be able to add your BA number to the reservation.
2. It's unlikely that you will get free luggage after LATAM leaves oneworld, you should however be able to purchase luggage allowance ahead of time through the app; shouldn't be too expensive for that route
3. Lounge at GRU: at the very least you will have access to the Admiral's club; it's unclear for now whether BA will have an agreement to use their LATAM lounges (which I much prefer)

Suggest checking the LATAM subforum as well on Flyertalk; as we get closer to the exit date it's likely we will learn more about the relationship of Oneworld airlines with LATAM post May 1st.
Old Feb 18, 20, 3:50 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver
Originally Posted by mzb00 View Post
1. Try contacting Latam via Twitter DM, they seem to be pretty responsive and may be able to add your BA number to the reservation.
2. It's unlikely that you will get free luggage after LATAM leaves oneworld, you should however be able to purchase luggage allowance ahead of time through the app; shouldn't be too expensive for that route
3. Lounge at GRU: at the very least you will have access to the Admiral's club; it's unclear for now whether BA will have an agreement to use their LATAM lounges (which I much prefer)

Suggest checking the LATAM subforum as well on Flyertalk; as we get closer to the exit date it's likely we will learn more about the relationship of Oneworld airlines with LATAM post May 1st.

Thanks for the reply! I really hope BA and LATAM keep a reciprocal agreement so I can still use their lounge in São Paulo!
Old Feb 18, 20, 4:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by drwook View Post
So, what does this mean to us in practical terms - e.g. if we do a round trip to Bogota on Iberia after 1 May, is there a lounge us OWS/OWE's can use or are we stuck in the terminal/hunting for a pay lounge? Or are we expecting BA/IB to maintain a relationship where we can use the LATAM lounges?
You'll be able to access whichever lounge IB contracts with. It may or may not be LA's, but I'm sure they won't suspend lounge access entirely.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: