Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition

Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by DFDubFlyer
Interesting. I was annoyed with the phone agent that it wasn't a simple A + B = C type thing of what the avios and dollars were for each segment. Is there any way to avoid this when you are using the Chase travel together voucher? Can they book it as two one ways and apply the voucher to each one?
No and no.

Also see this thread:
Chase BA Visa card offers new rebate for redemption fees
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by AJA_
Hi. I noticed no-one replied to you. The short answer is yes if it is a BA only flight but read

02 UuA on BA only flight, booked through a travel agency

in the thread above for more detail.

"The ability to upgrade Travel Agent (TA) issued tickets is possible since 17 July 2012, with corporate net tickets from 24 July 2012.

There are a number of criteria, and broadly follow the same terms and conditions as Upgrade Using Avios (UUA) on a normal booking."

Also note "The country in which the TA is in must be the same as the address in your BAEC profile for you to be able to UUA." So make sure you're booking through the Expedia website in the same country your BAEC account is.

Please also note that although you can also upgrade flights on Iberia or AA these "Flights must be booked directly through BA. Flights booked through a travel agent are not eligible." per section 03 above.
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Something I've not tried before. If I make an Expedia booking (flight and hotel), knowing the fare I'll acquire will be upgradable and space also available, is it possible to action an upgrade on the phone to BA? Thanks
If booking with Expedia, I would always follow Corporate-wage-slave's advice in this thread:
BA LHR-MCT Expedia Price
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:22 pm

Can anyone tell me if this is correct.... the last booking that I did for multi-carrier award was priced based on the class of the longest leg (i think). I had two first class flights, but only got charged for business class as per the chart.

My booking of:
YVR-LAX-DOH-HAN-HKG-LHR-YVR
Got priced as 3x (first class for the whole booking).....the only two legs in first were HKG-LHR-YVR, and the middle east flights are in business. The agent is bringing the flight back to pricing to see what he can do, but when he brought it up the line the manager told him to charge what the pricing agent had set. The longest leg is LAX-DOH and all business legs come to more in miles than the two first legs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - just waiting now on the call back from the agent.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question on the RFS eligibility (earns at least 1 Avios the past 12 months)

When the redemption is made from the "head of the household account", and the account has e-Reward transfer in, does it qualify as "earning"?

Would it be sufficient for the redemption that also includes an additional household member, or must the additional household member's account also needs to have an "earning" activity to make the RFS work?

Does the Chase or AMEX transfer qualify as "earning" ?

Thanks a lot for the information.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 23, 2020 at 7:50 pm
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Quick question - is there any way of booking HND/KIX to GMP/ICN on JAL with avios? Would appreciate any insights.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maccymac
Quick question - is there any way of booking HND/KIX to GMP/ICN on JAL with avios? Would appreciate any insights.
yes there is. it should be bookable through the normal reward search page on ba.com.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
yes there is. it should be bookable through the normal reward search page on ba.com.
Thanks,

The issue is the BA site does not recognise GMP and JAL only fly there (from HND/KIX). Would the availability on JAL website be visible to BAEC if I tried to book on the phone?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maccymac
Thanks,

The issue is the BA site does not recognise GMP and JAL only fly there (from HND/KIX). Would the availability on JAL website be visible to BAEC if I tried to book on the phone?
Don't worry if the field doesn't auto-populate. Just type in GMP click search and it will find them.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Don't worry if the field doesn't auto-populate. Just type in GMP click search and it will find them.
Perfect, worked a treat. Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Happy
Question on the RFS eligibility (earns at least 1 Avios the past 12 months)

When the redemption is made from the "head of the household account", and the account has e-Reward transfer in, does it qualify as "earning"?

Would it be sufficient for the redemption that also includes an additional household member, or must the additional household member's account also needs to have an "earning" activity to make the RFS work?

Does the Chase or AMEX transfer qualify as "earning" ?

Thanks a lot for the information.
Both Avios from e-rewards and Chase or Amex transfers in count as "earning".

I think if it's a HHA a RFS booking can be made by anyone in the HHA as long as one person in the HHA has earned Avios because the Avios for the reward booking are deducted in proportion from all of the accounts in the HHA. If you're not eligible for RFS reward booking they will not show up when you try to book.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Has anyone had any issues, or managed to book a FlyBe flight with avios recently? I read on the BA website that there’s a new partnership and Avios can now be used to FlyBe flights. Rang gold line today to try and check availability and agent said I was the third person today who had asked about FlyBe flights but nobody there knows anything about it and it couldn’t be done.

this is the wording from the BA website:

Answer Id 5264 Updated 29/01/2020 04.57 PM (GMT)
QuestionThanks to the new partnership between Flybe and British Airways, our members can redeem their Avios on Flybe flights, giving members even more routes and destinations to choose from.

Flybe serves an extensive range of European destinations from UK regional airports including Aberdeen, Belfast, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Manchester and Newcastle.

Just parallel Flybe routes operated from London City or Flybe codeshare flights on Air France, KLM, Ethiad and FlybeNordic aren't available to book as your reward flights.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedDevil83
Has anyone had any issues, or managed to book a FlyBe flight with avios recently? I read on the BA website that there’s a new partnership and Avios can now be used to FlyBe flights. Rang gold line today to try and check availability and agent said I was the third person today who had asked about FlyBe flights but nobody there knows anything about it and it couldn’t be done.

this is the wording from the BA website:

Answer Id 5264 Updated 29/01/2020 04.57 PM (GMT)
QuestionThanks to the new partnership between Flybe and British Airways, our members can redeem their Avios on Flybe flights, giving members even more routes and destinations to choose from.

Flybe serves an extensive range of European destinations from UK regional airports including Aberdeen, Belfast, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Manchester and Newcastle.

Just parallel Flybe routes operated from London City or Flybe codeshare flights on Air France, KLM, Ethiad and FlybeNordic aren't available to book as your reward flights.
I think it's just out of date information you used to be able to book flybe with avios but it stopped about a year or so ago when they where taken over
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Hawk777
I think it's just out of date information you used to be able to book flybe with avios but it stopped about a year or so ago when they where taken over
yeah I did wonder that, it was just the bit that said the info was updated 29th Jan 2020 that threw me off. Sounds like plenty of others have done the same thing according to the agent I spoke to
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriot Silver Elite
Thank you Prospero for this excellent guide!!
This is the first time i will redeem avios. Since last friday Feb 28th I was trying to redeem on ba.com EZE-YYZ for 2 adults and 2 children.
I´ve got availability for Dec 23rd 2020 - Jan 9th 2021 EZE-MIA-YYZ (7 seats available) 294K + USD 607
The issue is after input my credit card info (i´ve tried AMEX-VISA-MASTER), it´s says "please contact your local office".
The call center in their system says no availability for those dates, they said they will report the issue (my calll was yesterday) and it´s plenty of time that AA will release seats...
Today i´ve tried again and same issue. Is this a common issue? How do i know the seats will be available? How likely AA will release seats?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by sehyok
Thank you Prospero for this excellent guide!!
This is the first time i will redeem avios. Since last friday Feb 28th I was trying to redeem on ba.com EZE-YYZ for 2 adults and 2 children.
I´ve got availability for Dec 23rd 2020 - Jan 9th 2021 EZE-MIA-YYZ (7 seats available) 294K + USD 607
The issue is after input my credit card info (i´ve tried AMEX-VISA-MASTER), it´s says "please contact your local office".
The call center in their system says no availability for those dates, they said they will report the issue (my calll was yesterday) and it´s plenty of time that AA will release seats...
Today i´ve tried again and same issue. Is this a common issue? How do i know the seats will be available? How likely AA will release seats?
Where from are you connecting to the website? Is the US one? And which call centre? It could be a Point of Sale problem, where availability is only there for a particular market.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.