Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Prospero
03 UuA on BA, AA, and IB flights

UuA can also be applied to American Airlines and Iberia flights and/or tickets combining travel on either of these airlines plus BA. The rules that apply to upgrading BA flights generally apply to AA and IB flights, albeit with a few differences.

• Flights must be booked directly through BA. Flights booked through a travel agent are not eligible.
  • Flights booked on AA and IB must be booked under their own flight numbers and not as a codeshare
  • Flights booked as part of a package holiday (even if booked through BA) are not eligible. This includes bulk tickets and Inclusive Tour (IT) tickets.
  • UuA is permitted on eligible published fares only. Those fare classes are: J, C, and D (Business); W (Premium Economy); Y and B (IB Economy); and Y (AA Economy)
  • If you cancel an UuA booking, the whole journey must be cancelled.
Some of these restrictions may have been relaxed, if I understand it right from the UuA offers on 2 of my bookings. Both bookings are LHR/JFK T class returns. One leg is a BA prime flight, the other 3 are AA flights with BA codeshare flight numbers. I can click through the UuA process for the BA flight and 2 of the AA flights (presumably the other doesn't have U availability). The avios quotes are in line with the tables in this thread for WTP to CW and for PE to Business.

So the quoted bullet points 2 and 4 may be wrong now.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic
The car hire option is not working for redeeming avios. Has anyone any suggestions?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:55 pm

Is there a specific thread on using Avios on RJ? I can't find anything. I'm AUH based with a stack of Avios at the moment. Redemption to where I'm thinking of going, using BA, is murderous with the taxes etc through LHR.

For example AUH to AMS. I could connect through Amman.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Dubh
Is there a specific thread on using Avios on RJ? I can't find anything. I'm AUH based with a stack of Avios at the moment. Redemption to where I'm thinking of going, using BA, is murderous with the taxes etc through LHR.

For example AUH to AMS. I could connect through Amman.
Just search for AUH-AMS on ba.com. The RJ options will show up after the BA options. I just searched some random dates over the next month and found RJ options on each. You will pay the avios cost for AUH-AMM and AMM-AMS.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Just search for AUH-AMS on ba.com. The RJ options will show up after the BA options. I just searched some random dates over the next month and found RJ options on each. You will pay the avios cost for AUH-AMM and AMM-AMS.
Cheers!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Something I've not tried before. If I make an Expedia booking (flight and hotel), knowing the fare I'll acquire will be upgradable and space also available, is it possible to action an upgrade on the phone to BA? Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I recently purchased some Avios from BA in order to hopefully extend the date when my current Avios balance will expire. I'm retired and am not flying very much these days on BA.

Will my purchase extend the date when my Avios expire and if so, for how long?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by jlemon
I recently purchased some Avios from BA in order to hopefully extend the date when my current Avios balance will expire. I'm retired and am not flying very much these days on BA.

Will my purchase extend the date when my Avios expire and if so, for how long?
Purchasing Avios or earning by other means (see the BA Forum Dashboard for more info too) resets the clock so from the date you bought them your Avios are valid for 36 months.

More info on ba.com

Purchasing Avios points will reset the 36-month Avios points expiry rule, as set out in the Terms and Conditions
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by PETER01
Purchasing Avios or earning by other means (see the BA Forum Dashboard for more info too) resets the clock so from the date you bought them your Avios are valid for 36 months.

More info on ba.com

Purchasing Avios points will reset the 36-month Avios points expiry rule, as set out in the Terms and Conditions
Thank you, sir! I was experiencing difficulty accessing ba.com earlier but have since been able to do so.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi, I am planning a trip to NZ next year using AVIOS. I see the outward is now available and want to book however the return is not yet available to book. Should I wait until the return is available or book the outward now and hope for the best. Is it more expensive to do this? thanks
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pompeyflyer
Hi, I am planning a trip to NZ next year using AVIOS. I see the outward is now available and want to book however the return is not yet available to book. Should I wait until the return is available or book the outward now and hope for the best. Is it more expensive to do this? thanks
no get it booked before the availability goes, you can call up when return is available and add it to existing booking or book it separately depending on routing can be cheaper sometimes in taxes
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) ✈✈✈, Accor (Silver), IHG (Platinum), Cunard (Diamond)
WTP unable to upgrade with Avios

Nearly a year ago I booked a cruise and flight through the cruise company and paid for WTP and was placed in to T Class. I have checked upgrade to J availability several times a day for nearly a year and just after midnight there was avios upgrade availability. I called BA at 06:00 and after a 20 minute wait got through, only to be told that as the travel agent booked it a certain way I cannot upgrade with Avios and I can only upgrade with cash through the travel agent.

My research this afternoon shows World Traveller bookings, O, Q and G fares cannot be upgraded but all types of WTP should be able to upgrade even those booked by a Travel Agent.

Unfortunately, someone has now snapped up the reward seat, however, I am seeking reassurance I was advised correctly so I can put this down to experience and always book my flights direct with BA in future rather than through a TA. Thank you.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Gary999
Nearly a year ago I booked a cruise and flight through the cruise company and paid for WTP and was placed in to T Class. I have checked upgrade to J availability several times a day for nearly a year and just after midnight there was avios upgrade availability. I called BA at 06:00 and after a 20 minute wait got through, only to be told that as the travel agent booked it a certain way I cannot upgrade with Avios and I can only upgrade with cash through the travel agent.
It is almost certain that you were correctly advised by the BA call centre. If you book a cruise package, you will almost certainly be on a Bulk Ticket or Inclusive Tour fare. These can't be upgraded using Avios.

You can see this in the post in this thread about Upgrading using Avios - Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition - which contains:-
Originally Posted by Prospero
02 UuA on BA only flight, booked through a travel agency

The ability to upgrade Travel Agent (TA) issued tickets is possible since 17 July 2012, with corporate net tickets from 24 July 2012. Unfortunately, marine fares are not eligible. There are a number of criteria, and broadly follow the same terms and conditions as Upgrade Using Avios (UUA) on a normal booking:
  • ... Bulk Ticket and Included Tour tickets cannot be upgraded.
Gary999 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) ✈✈✈, Accor (Silver), IHG (Platinum), Cunard (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Globaliser

You can see this in the post in this thread about Upgrading using Avios - Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition - which contains:-
Thank you Globaliser, I wasn't sure exactly what was meant by marine fare. 14.5hours in a WTP seat ahead then! Thank you for taking the time to reply - very much appreciated.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Gary999
I wasn't sure exactly what was meant by marine fare.
No, it's not the marine fare that affects you. That, I think, is the type of fare that transports (sea) crew around the world. As a paying passenger, you're much more likely to be on a BT or IT fare, and that's what would stop UuA.
Gary999 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.