Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 8:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schwann
Looking to upgrade an flight from WTP to CW on DXB-LHR next year. I have tried to calculate the extra taxes/surcharges due myself using ITA Matrix and make the difference £43.10 but BA.com is trying to charge me £53.10

Which sounds correct?
I would be cautious trying to be too exact with the figures on ita matrix, I often notice they are off by a few pounds.

What do you get if you check on ba.com instead?
Schwann likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I would be cautious trying to be too exact with the figures on ita matrix, I often notice they are off by a few pounds.

What do you get if you check on ba.com instead?
Doing a dummy booking on ba.com does match the tax/surcharges difference during UUA on MMB. I was basing the difference off of the difference between one ways DXB-LHR on ITA, so maybe that was why.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 8:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schwann
Doing a dummy booking on ba.com does match the tax/surcharges difference during UUA on MMB. I was basing the difference off of the difference between one ways DXB-LHR on ITA, so maybe that was why.
Aha, yes you can't compare to a one way. Basically you ned to price a return with W out and back, and then a return with W out and J back, and then compare the taxes/fees/charges.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Does BA still charge $55 to change award tickets? Looking to fly on AA.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
Does BA still charge $55 to change award tickets? Looking to fly on AA.
No, the GBP 35 or the $55 fee does not apply for changes at the moment ( including voluntary changes ).
However, for cancellations, the GBP35 or the $55 fee would still apply.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:40 am

Am I right in saying if I had a J booking which I used avios to upgrade to F and there’s an aircraft change which then downgrades you back to J, I’ve the right to ring BA and get them to reroute me on an F aircraft (ie if I was F to LAS I could get them to route me via lax)
Old Dec 11, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: Avios
Question How to upgrade an existing AMEX 2 for 1 voucher booking on BA?

Hello
I have just booked flights in May 2021 from LGW to St Lucia using an AMEX 2 for 1 voucher plus Avios. Unfortunately Club was unavailable so I had to book World Traveller Plus. Does anybody know if these tickets can be upgraded to Club using Avios if Club seats became available? Any other ideas as to how I can upgrade? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Originally Posted by Prospero
There are a number of BA affiliate credit cards that give BAEC members an opportunity to earn a companion voucher. For more information on what card issuers offer this benefit and how to go about earning a voucher, see Credit card partners. The concept behind the voucher is simple. You the cardholder may book a redemption ticket, paid for in Avios and you take a travelling companion along with you. The usual taxes, fees, and surcharges apply to both passengers unfortunately, which are paid for by the card holder.

01 Standard conditions:
  • The voucher is valid for travel on BA operated flights with BA prefix only
  • Valid towards return flights only, with the journey originating from and returning to your country of membership (with the exception of vouchers issued in the UK which may also be used for one way travel)
  • Taxes, fees and surcharges do apply to the companion as well as the travelling card holder. The card holder will pay the cash supplement assessed for him/herself and all others in the booking, using the credit card associated with the voucher.
  • Combining two vouchers with a single booking is permitted. This allows the travelling card holder to take three travel companions. A maximum of two vouchers can be used towards any single booking.
  • The cardholder can travel without the companion. However, the companion cannot travel without the cardholder.
  • The cardholder cannot cancel the companion's ticket to get your companion voucher back and still fly. In order to get the voucher back, the whole booking must be cancelled and re-book for yourself, provided there is redemption availability.
  • Cancelling a redemption booking does not guarantee the seat(s) will be released back into the award inventory.
  • If the booking is cancelled before 24 hours of the first flight, the Avios, taxes, and fees will be refunded, plus the companion voucher. Generally the voucher and Avois will be refunded quite quickly, with the monetary components taking a few more days to process. A cancellation fee will apply unless you are a BAEC Gold Guest List card holder.

02 Additional benefits (UK BA Amex Premium Plus)
  • The voucher can be used for one way itineraries
  • Vouchers are valid for two years instead of the usual one

03 Additional benefits (US Chase British Airways Visa Signature)
  • Vouchers are valid for two years instead of the usual one

Introduction | Standard reward flights | Multi-Partner reward flights | Reward Flight Saver | Avios & Money | Upgrading using Avios | Avios part payment | Using your companion vouchers | Additional Gold benefits | Hotel and car rental redemptions
Old Dec 11, 2020, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, M8CCA!
Originally Posted by M8CCA
I have just booked flights in May 2021 from LGW to St Lucia using an AMEX 2 for 1 voucher plus Avios. Unfortunately Club was unavailable so I had to book World Traveller Plus. Does anybody know if these tickets can be upgraded to Club using Avios if Club seats became available?
Yes: you simply call up to change the booking from WT+ to Club. They will take the additional Avios, the additional taxes, fees and charges, plus (in normal circumstances) the £35 per person change fee (because this is technically a booking change, not an upgrade).

See here for a recent example: Upgrading a reward flight
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:54 am

Amex 2for1 question please. I know I can book an outbound redemption flight then call up at a later date to book the return. Can I do this if it is an open jaw booking too?

Specifically looking to book LHR-BKK now, then add TYO-LHR at a later date

Is that possible?

Thanks
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by mastutio
Amex 2for1 question please. I know I can book an outbound redemption flight then call up at a later date to book the return. Can I do this if it is an open jaw booking too?

Specifically looking to book LHR-BKK now, then add TYO-LHR at a later date

Is that possible?

Thanks
Yes, see here. (Wiki FAQ)

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Q: Can I book an open-jaw trip using the voucher?
A: You can, but you will need to call BA. For the trip to be valid, the length of the surface sector must be shorter than either of the flown journeys. If you want to fly from LHR to AAA and from BBB back to LHR, then the LHR-AAA and BBB-LHR distances must both be greater than the distance between AAA and BBB.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

With the launch of the 2021 edition, this thread has now been closed

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.