Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:11 am

Are there still restrictions on where your exec club account is based

Anyone know if there are still restrictions on only being able to use avios for flights originating in the country your exec club account is registered in.

I know a few years ago I got caught out on booking a flight for someone else that I assured them I could upgrade once they had booked it, only to find out after they had booked that there was a restriction that avios could only be used to upgrade flights that started in (and were therefore ticketed from) the home country of the exec club member. I want to book and upgrade for someone who lives in a different country to me and don't want to get caught out again, but I can't find anything on ba.com anymore about this so perhaps this restriction has been removed
Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nigelw
Anyone know if there are still restrictions on only being able to use avios for flights originating in the country your exec club account is registered in.

I know a few years ago I got caught out on booking a flight for someone else that I assured them I could upgrade once they had booked it, only to find out after they had booked that there was a restriction that avios could only be used to upgrade flights that started in (and were therefore ticketed from) the home country of the exec club member. I want to book and upgrade for someone who lives in a different country to me and don't want to get caught out again, but I can't find anything on ba.com anymore about this so perhaps this restriction has been removed
I remember that there is/was an issue for TA bookings, and that the TA has to issue the ticket in the country of your BAEC membership as well. However, apparently that was not enforced consistently. See these two posts for more information on that point https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29280847-post33.html & https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29282377-post38.html

Other than that, there is no issue in booking and UuA'ing itineraries starting from places not in your exec club country. I have done it many times.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:24 am

Thanks. This wasn't anything to do with a TA, it was a direct booking on ba.com. Still could not upgrade it though and when I contacted BA to ask was given this reason why.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Did the price of US domestic Avios award tickets go up? I called BA this past weekend and was looking to buy a nonstop one-way ticket on AS and the agent quoted me 11K in economy and 44K in first. Isn't US domestic first supposed to be priced at 22K? The flight is around 1900 miles.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 12:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
In case you missed it, IB is offering 50% award through 30 Aug
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:49 am

Hi all. Does anyone know if AA is severely restricting the availability of near-term award flights booked with Avios? In the past few years I've always been able to find flights, but lately see "no availability" for dates within 28 days or so of booking for the same routes. Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by accrue450
Hi all. Does anyone know if AA is severely restricting the availability of near-term award flights booked with Avios? In the past few years I've always been able to find flights, but lately see "no availability" for dates within 28 days or so of booking for the same routes. Thanks!
All US domestic carriers are heavily restricting award avail. atm due to limited inventory
Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
All US domestic carriers are heavily restricting award avail. atm due to limited inventory
Thanks, I didn't know that.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Can a Lloyds Upgrade Voucher be used on a B A Holiday? It would be for one leg of the journey so 2 can upgrade together.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Hi FT Folks - looking at an Avios Multi-Carrier Reward at some point in the future - quick question - are there any restrictions? I am looking at BA plus another four carriers in the itinerary and I would need maybe one or two land segments in the reservation. Is this possible? In effect are these tickets like a xONE RTW?

Any thoughts / experiences would be really helpful! Thank you
Old Oct 3, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Two off peak business class tickets LHR=VIE awards are pricing out at 38,500 Avios plus $119. I thougth it would be lower mileage - the award chart suggest is should be 2x12,750 or 25,500 for two offpeak Zone 2.

Are fees that high for intraeurope?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 2:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Two off peak business class tickets LHR=VIE awards are pricing out at 38,500 Avios plus $119. I thougth it would be lower mileage - the award chart suggest is should be 2x12,750 or 25,500 for two offpeak Zone 2.

Are fees that high for intraeurope?
when you click continue and go to the quote page do you see several pricing options with different avios rates?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Quick question, I have a booking of 4 people LHR-ORD in WTP. Only two of us would like to upgrade to business. Is this possible?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by MrPrice16
Quick question, I have a booking of 4 people LHR-ORD in WTP. Only two of us would like to upgrade to business. Is this possible?
You can split the booking and then upgrade those on one booking and not on the other. It is not possible to have mixed classes on one booking (i.e. 2x WT+ and 2x CW on the same leg).
Old Oct 3, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
You can split the booking and then upgrade those on one booking and not on the other. It is not possible to have mixed classes on one booking (i.e. 2x WT+ and 2x CW on the same leg).
thanks. That’s clear. Is there a cost associated with spilling the booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.