Doha F lounge

Old Jan 4, 20, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Doha F lounge

Iím flying ba 123 to Doha today in F and flying on to Muscat on QR1128 in economy. Does anyone know what lounge Iíll be able to use in Doha, only there for 1,5 hours so no big deal. Did AUP for £399 will post info on relevant thread.

in CCR sipping LPGS, a nice start to the holiday.
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
You will be able to use the Qatar Airways First Class lounge by virtue of the fact you're connecting from oneworld longhaul to oneworld shorthaul.

Note that this is not the same lounge as the Qatar Airways Al Safwa First lounge, which is only for departing QR First Class ticketed passengers.

Last edited by Genius1; Jan 4, 20 at 11:29 am
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for such a quick response Genius1. Will be interesting to see how it compares to Al Safwa.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:41 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
If departing in BA F you could also use al safwa lounge.
ironmouse likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
You will be able to use the Qatar Airways First Class lounge by virtue of both your Emerald status and the fact you're connecting from oneworld longhaul to oneworld shorthaul.
Standard First lounge indeed. Though from OP's profile (BA silver) it seems that he/she is OW Sapphire, so without the F arrival it would be the standard business lounge only.
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Essex Flyer View Post
Thanks for such a quick response Genius1. Will be interesting to see how it compares to Al Safwa.
It is absolutely nothing like the Al Safwa lounge I'm afraid.
Modo and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Will be interesting to see how it compares to Al Safwa.
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
It is absolutely nothing like the Al Safwa lounge I'm afraid.
I reviewed the Al Safwa First lounge in my report here, and the generic First Class lounge in my report here. There is indeed little comparison, although at least the showers are free at the First Class lounge whereas they're (unbelievably!) chargeable at the Al Safwa First lounge (unless you're in a bedroom).

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
If departing in BA F you could also use al safwa lounge.
This did used to be the case that any oneworld first class departure gained access, but the oneworld website was recently updated to explicity show only QR First Class. I'm not sure in practice though whether this is enforced, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Standard First lounge indeed. Though from OP's profile (BA silver) it seems that he/she is OW Sapphire, so without the F arrival it would be the standard business lounge only.
Good point!
Old Jan 4, 20, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Iím flying ba 123 to Doha today in F and flying on to Muscat on QR1128 in economy. Does anyone know what lounge Iíll be able to use in Doha, only there for 1,5 hours so no big deal. Did AUP for £399 will post info on relevant thread.

in CCR sipping LPGS, a nice start to the holiday.
Try and gain access to the Al Safwa; you're arriving in longhaul F on a OneWorld carrier, so the lounge reception desk may allow you entry (ignore the check at the bottom of the escalator).

If QR do not permit you access, do let us know - there aren't even that many on the QR Forum who have posed such a question as yours.

You will be able to use the Qatar Airways First Class lounge by virtue of the fact you're connecting from oneworld longhaul to oneworld shorthaul.

Note that this is not the same lounge as the Qatar Airways Al Safwa First lounge, which is only for departing QR First Class ticketed passengers.
The Al Safwa is also for those arriving in longhaul F on QR (potentially other OW airlines) and continuing on in any other class of travel.

M
our_kid likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 12:48 pm

which is only for departing QR First Class ticketed passengers.
Any oneworld first class ticket would do. Doesn't need to be QR.
Old Jan 4, 20, 2:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by strayersong View Post
Any oneworld first class ticket would do. Doesn't need to be QR.
Correct. I know there have been some shifting sands in this area, but it's regularly repeated (thanks to some non FT bloggers unfortunately) that Qatar's business and first lounges are not available to oneworld travellers, when they are and they have repeatedly confirmed this through oneworld Liaisons including to BA's Liaison.

What Qatar does not allow is (for example) BA Gold cardholders to use al Mourjan when travelling economy: Qatar's stickiness is on status, not cabin.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
I gained access to Al Safwa in mid-2019 using an F boarding pass from BA123. No quibbles, let in without hesitation.
our_kid likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 5:25 pm

I reviewed the Al Safwa First lounge in my report here, and the generic First Class lounge in my report here. There is indeed little comparison, although at least the showers are free at the First Class lounge whereas they're (unbelievably!) chargeable at the Al Safwa First lounge (unless you're in a bedroom)
I've used the showers in Al Safwa for free on three recent occasions, including in the Spa.
NoY likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 6:19 pm

I reviewed the Al Safwa First lounge in my report here, and the generic First Class lounge in my report here. There is indeed little comparison, although at least the showers are free at the First Class lounge whereas they're (unbelievably!) chargeable at the Al Safwa First lounge (unless you're in a bedroom).
Showers both in spa and the very nice bedrooms are free in Al Safwa. Showers also free in Al Mourjan and of course the OWS/OWE lounges in Doha.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
For flying out of Doha, the printed BA boarding passes mention the Al Safwa lounge specifically.
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 8:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond VIP; BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Correct. I know there have been some shifting sands in this area, but it's regularly repeated (thanks to some non FT bloggers unfortunately) that Qatar's business and first lounges are not available to oneworld travellers, when they are and they have repeatedly confirmed this through oneworld Liaisons including to BA's Liaison.

What Qatar does not allow is (for example) BA Gold cardholders to use al Mourjan when travelling economy: Qatar's stickiness is on status, not cabin.
We fly out of Doha yesterday (Jan 4 2020) in BA First (BA122), having upgraded at check in from an Avios 2-4-1 in business class. The printed boarding pass had Al Mourjan printed on it so we headed there. We had a little trouble being allowed up the escalator to it, but held our ground and persisted and we let up. When we got to reception there we were told we could go in but were also told we could go to the Al Safwa lounge. Having read FT a lot I knew that was a big prize so headed over there. Nobody on the escalator checking at the bottom. When we got to their reception desk we were told we couldnít have access. We simply said that weíd been sent their from the Al Mourjan lounge as their reception told us thatís what our ticket permitted. (Iím BA Gold but didnít mention that at any stage and donít think it would have made any difference.). The reception staff discussed with each other and one of them was sufficiently adamant with the others that we should be allowed in - so we were.

I know CWS will know the actual facts of the access rules and will for sure have relayed them above correctly - but thought worth posting some actual experience to illustrate that people might encounter some differing / inconsistent treatment and messages by staff there, but persistence seems to have paid off for me. All the staff were great and easy to deal with.

(I wonder if my upgrade from an Avios booking might have been part of the issue in my case, the boarding pass definitely has the Al Mourjan written on it - and was system generated of course.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: