Wiki Posts
Search

Doha F lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

F&B selection (specifically, food) is probably greater in Al Mourjan
This is simply not accurate. How in the world did you (or anyone) else come to this conclusion that F&B is greater in Al Mourjan than Al Safwa!?

Last edited by Fly_IAD; Jan 5, 2020 at 9:19 am Reason: edit
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
At the meantime I can't even find a seat at the 'business class lounge' for oneworld status holders and the only hot dishes I saw were soups. There's also a very strong smell of tobacco especially at the entrance.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
I was with KARFA when we were permitted access to Al Safwa on a uua to F ticket.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
This is simply not accurate. How in the world did you (or anyone) else come to this conclusion that F&B is greater in Al Mourjan than Al Safwa!?
Pretty much everything in AS is waiter service, whereas AM offers a decent enough buffet. Selection is about the same across both, just presented differently. Overall I find the food in both lounges to not be great quality.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Genius1
Pretty much everything in AS is waiter service, whereas AM offers a decent enough buffet. Selection is about the same across both, just presented differently. Overall I find the food in both lounges to not be great quality.
Genius1 I totally agree that food quality (and is some cases variety) has declined a lot over the years in both but their has always and continues to be greater variety in Al Safwa (e.g sushi bar, various veg and meat items from menu, not to mention vastly better beverages alcoholic and non). When has the food (or beverage) been the same across both but just presented differently?
NoY likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:58 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
In Al Mourjan there used to be an a la carte menu but this disappeared and is now just sandwhiches. It can be a challenge to get a seat in the restaurant at peak times, and the buffet is ok but not great. The lounge is nice enough - better than the OW lounges for sure - if you have a long layover, it quickly gets boring. I once walked 10 miles in the airport on a 7 hour layover. I have a 16 hour layover on my way back and am heading into Doha itself. I have booked a hotel for $23 but can only access it from 3pm when arriving from ICN at 0515. Will have to book the night before as well i Think...
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
The QR staff could definitely see that my original ticket was ‘Business Class’ they didn’t mention fare bucket, the fact that I’d paid for the upgrade made no difference whatsoever. When I did the same routing last year I booked F from Doha to Muscat but had a 5 hour layover so it was worth the extra Avios, would probably do the same again. Both F and J lounges were very busy, difficult to find a seat, by contrast Al Safwa was all serenity and calm when I used it last year.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I have booked a hotel for $23 but can only access it from 3pm when arriving from ICN at 0515. Will have to book the night before as well i Think...
Please G-d (or whoever) you would get a hotel or simply pay for the night before, why would you suffer so during a 16 hour layover in a city like Dpha where you can routinely get 5 star hotels like the St. Regis or brand new Park Hyatt for $150 a night never mind you can get those same hotels through a STARS or Virtuoso travel advisor at those prices and get things like breakfast, room upgrades, early check-in/out and hotel credits that practically nullify the rate. Not to mention the premium immigration facility, arrivals lounge and premium departure/check-in that makes everything a breeze.

Why suffer !?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Deleted as msm’s explanation makes sense.

I have used Al Safwa when flying BA F on Avios (used Avios to redeem in F) and I’ve used it when flying QR intra-GCC F (no J cabin).

I used to fly through DOH a lot - at that time as a GCH as others report status alone will not get you in. QR are pretty consistent on this.

Whilst as Genius1’s TR (well worth a read by the way) notes, F&B selection (specifically, food) is probably greater in Al Mourjan, Al Safwa is visually stunning.
I agree regarding the food aspect. I prefer Al Safwa for space, peace, the charming staff and the bedrooms. The food is mediocre in Al Safwa. There is more choice in the Al Mourjan lounge - for me.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
I agree regarding the food aspect. I prefer Al Safwa for space, peace, the charming staff and the bedrooms. The food is mediocre in Al Safwa. There is more choice in the Al Mourjan lounge - for me.
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. How is there a greater variety of F&B in Al Mourjan than Al Safwa? Where is this variety hiding (since the day it opened to the present)?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. How is there a greater variety of F&B in Al Mourjan than Al Safwa? Where is this variety hiding (since the day it opened to the present)?
I don't eat meat and find the food in Al Safwa to be dull and uninspiring. Cooking an egg to order at breakfast can be a struggle for the chefs. My husband (a meat eater) agrees that the food is mediocre in Al Safwa. I like the salads, snack and buffet choices better in the Al Mourjan Lounge. I prefer the ambience and comfort of Al Safwa. The champagne is better too. Al Safwa is a magnificent space but I disagree with your defence of the food. The rest I am fond of.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:14 pm
Suspended

I don't eat meat and find the food in Al Safwa to be dull and uninspiring. Cooking an egg to order at breakfast can be a struggle for the chefs. My husband (a meat eater) agrees that the food is mediocre in Al Safwa. I like the salads, snack and buffet choices better in the Al Mourjan Lounge. I prefer the ambience and comfort of Al Safwa. The champagne is better too. Al Safwa is a magnificent space but I disagree with your defence of the food. The rest I am fond of.
I do not defend the food quality, even the best of what has been on the menu is mediocre in recent years. I too avoid meat. My point is that the variety of foods has always, and continues to be more than Al Mourjan - again simply the range of what can be had including all the same salads/mezze, also asking for things not on the menu if there is some specific requirement or sushi that is simply not available in Al Mourjan.

I am surprised that multiple posters are suggesting the range of foods is greater in Al Mourjan, not at all surprised that the quality is a problem.

Last edited by Fly_IAD; Jan 5, 2020 at 5:33 pm
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by railways
I've used the showers in Al Safwa for free on three recent occasions, including in the Spa.
I agree, same here. Note that in the shower room I used in Al Safwa, it had no loo, so keep that in mind before de-robing. There were facilities very close by, just not in the shower room itself.

Last edited by Howard Long; Jan 6, 2020 at 1:40 am
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
The bedrooms are OK, but while being clean and modern, they're also quite basic. I find it difficult to sleep in them, I don't know why.

The food is indeed largely disappointing in Al Safwa. Over the Christmas period they ran a Festive menu, the results of which I found even worse than the normal menu, possibly they were trying too hard.

The only consistently good main dishes IME are the biryani-like dishes that regularly appear in various forms (currently Chicken Kabsa), which sadly was missing from the brief Festive menu.

The saving grace was that over the Christmas period, Krug was briefly back on.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
QR have the ability to see the original fare class of the ticket, as I have found out a few times.

Unless it says F/A, you wont be permitted access to the Al Safwa.

M
Some people have been allowed in after receiving op-up to f on BA123.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.