Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2020 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2020 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: BA (Gold), Flying Blue (Gold), Virgin (Gold)
Just been downgraded to silver after a decade of Gold+ with BAEC due to flight curtailments with COVID.

Would probably re-qualify for Gold this year or next but I could well see this being the catalyst for me changing airlines. I've got to say I'm pretty appalled at this by BA and I think that it's really poor strategically. There's essentially two scenarios from here:

1) COVID curtails all travel - therefore the cost to BA of the gold benefits that they provide me is zero.
2) Based on my historic travel patterns, they'd have enough revenue of me over the next two years to get me back to gold status pretty rapidly and they lock in that custom (along with that of developing brand loyalty with my family whom frequently travel in J due to expat contracts).

Massively disappointed by this move.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Byrneand
Just been downgraded to silver after a decade of Gold+ with BAEC due to flight curtailments with COVID.

Would probably re-qualify for Gold this year or next but I could well see this being the catalyst for me changing airlines. I've got to say I'm pretty appalled at this by BA and I think that it's really poor strategically. There's essentially two scenarios from here:

1) COVID curtails all travel - therefore the cost to BA of the gold benefits that they provide me is zero.
2) Based on my historic travel patterns, they'd have enough revenue of me over the next two years to get me back to gold status pretty rapidly and they lock in that custom (along with that of developing brand loyalty with my family whom frequently travel in J due to expat contracts).

Massively disappointed by this move.
Did you miss out on the reduced threshold of 1125?

Where you have cancelled bookings since March which would have given the necessary TPs to get to 1125 threshold BA are looking at that on a case by case basis. It may be worth you asking BAEC to look at this if it is applicable for you,
Old Jul 5, 2020, 1:50 am

Hi. Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but here goes. Is it correct that a J booking say CDG-DOH-BKK return gets you 560 TP?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Hi. Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but here goes. Is it correct that a J booking say CDG-DOH-BKK return gets you 560 TP?
Yes that is right, in J each of those legs is 140 TPs so 140x4=560 TPs.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:13 am

For the first time ever (and maybe the last) I'm 90 TPs away from Silver - starting to wonder if I should do a weekend in OTP or SOF to get over the line. Is it worth going from Bronze? I travel a ton on BA but usually in Y+.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Silver is the sweetspot since you get lounge access. If in good health and not too anxious about the current situation then the answer is most likely yes. Plus with extensions, you may get an extra year (experiences vary).
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by James91
For the first time ever (and maybe the last) I'm 90 TPs away from Silver - starting to wonder if I should do a weekend in OTP or SOF to get over the line. Is it worth going from Bronze? I travel a ton on BA but usually in Y+.
In my opinion (having been Silver for a while) it is certainly worth it over Bronze. It is definitely a sweet spot within BAEC:

- Lounge access
- Seat selection at time of booking
- Baggage allowance (if you need it)
alex67500 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
In my opinion (having been Silver for a while) it is certainly worth it over Bronze. It is definitely a sweet spot within BAEC:

- Lounge access
- Seat selection at time of booking
- Baggage allowance (if you need it)
Hmm. The lounge would be great. I probably spend more than a CE ticket on Pret in T5. Maybe I will go for it!
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
As a BAEC Silver, I know I'm entitled to two pieces of checked luggage weighing up to 32 kilos. Yet how about the weight of extra (and paid) checked luggage? Is it 23 or 32 kgs? I wonder if as BAEC Silver flying on a transatlantic flight, every piece of checked luggage, whether extra or not, could be up to 32 kgs.

thanks,
Yossi
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IB+, LATAM PASS, ACCOR
Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:
Are the current thresholds for achieving Bronze/Silver/ Gold lower than usual?
I seem to remember somebody mentioning lower thresholds and am particularly interested in seeing if I have a chance of reaching silver.
I’m travelling in September, SCL-MAD-BCN-LHR-MAD-SCL in I, so should rack up 420 TP, although BA have now cancelled the BCN-LHR leg so will probably lose 20 TP there. I may even have time for my first ever TP run whilst I’m in the UK, but need to check if it’s realistic.
I’d appreciate any advice from all you seasoned FTers out there!
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by chilglish
Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:
Are the current thresholds for achieving Bronze/Silver/ Gold lower than usual?
I seem to remember somebody mentioning lower thresholds and am particularly interested in seeing if I have a chance of reaching silver.
I’m travelling in September, SCL-MAD-BCN-LHR-MAD-SCL in I, so should rack up 420 TP, although BA have now cancelled the BCN-LHR leg so will probably lose 20 TP there. I may even have time for my first ever TP run whilst I’m in the UK, but need to check if it’s realistic.
I’d appreciate any advice from all you seasoned FTers out there!
From ba.com:
What’s more, it will be even easier to retain your status next time you’re up for renewal, as we’ve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25%. This is the same for upgrades thresholds too, making that next Tier more achievable.This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds, as shown below:
  • Bronze: 225 Tier Points or 18 eligible flights
  • Silver: 450 Tier Points or 37 eligible flights
  • Gold: 1125 Tier Points
See:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...efits#vouchers
Although the necessary tier points have been reduced you will still need the necessary 2 eligible flights for bronze or 4 for silver or gold.

Also see the wiki and posts in this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...12-months.html
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IB+, LATAM PASS, ACCOR
Talking

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
From ba.com:

See:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...efits#vouchers
Although the necessary tier points have been reduced you will still need the necessary 2 eligible flights for bronze or 4 for silver or gold.

Also see the wiki and posts in this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...12-months.html
Thank you jerry a. lasca!

Would I be right in thinking that with my current itinerary, I’d be just 30 TP (or possibly 50) shy of silver and have taken the required 4 flights?
Old Aug 25, 2020, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by chilglish
Thank you jerry a. lasca!

Would I be right in thinking that with my current itinerary, I’d be just 30 TP (or possibly 50) shy of silver and have taken the required 4 flights?
I assume you are flying IB SCL-MAD and within Spain? All flights are booked in I class? And with the BCN-LHR canceled how are you getting to LHR?

SCL-MAD-BCN-LHR-MAD-SCL

160 + 20 + 40 + 40 + 160 = 420

BA marketed or operated flights count as eligible flights. IB marketed and operated flights count as eligible flights.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:19 am

Is there any way to find my original fare class?

4 flight itinerary A>B>C>B>A just finished and all the flights were changed since i booked it due to rescheduling. My posted TPs are different suggesting outward and inward subclasses were different.
Just curious as if I challenge the higher one may be wrong. I cant see any class reference for original flights in any emails/account pages.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
You could try going to https://www.finnair.com/gb-en/custom...ticket-receipt and seeing whether you can still generate an e-ticket receipt this way. If so, you may find that it still states the original fare basIs for each sector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.