Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Travelex Currency Exchange in LHR T5?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Non-Travelex Currency Exchange in LHR T5?

Does Travelex have a monopoly on currency exchange in T5? Their IT problems mean it is currently impossible to pre-order for my BA flight tomorrow, and I am unwilling to pay their walk-up prices., so looking for an alternative.

Many Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Does Travelex have a monopoly on currency exchange in T5? Their IT problems mean it is currently impossible to pre-order for my BA flight tomorrow, and I am unwilling to pay their walk-up prices., so looking for an alternative.

Many Thanks.
May I ask why you do currency exchange in the first place? Always cheaper to withdraw cash at local source from an ATM.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Maybe they are off to North Korea and need Euros. I heard the ATM for foreigners in Pyongyang broke down and hasn't been fixed yet...

Pretty much anywhere else, use a local ATM on arrival.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by elwe
Maybe they are off to North Korea and needs Euros. I heard the ATM for foreigners in Pyongyang broke down and hasn't been fixed yet...

Pretty much anywhere else, use a local ATM on arrival.
And even then, only if it's a cash heavy society, most places now happily accept cards for everything.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
May I ask why you do currency exchange in the first place? Always cheaper to withdraw cash at local source from an ATM.
I don't find it always cheaper (though sometimes is), but more importantly local ATMs may be out of service, may not accept certain cards, may have low or non-obvious limits on withdrawals, etc etc. I find it safer to have some cash in hand when I arrive in case of problems, and so I can at least get a taxi and a meal.
flygirl68 and mnhusker like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
"Always" might be generalising. Especially if a card charges for foreign transaction fees.

Personally, I feel a bit more comfortable having at least enough cash on me to get to the hotel if the ATMs at the airport are broken, or have long queues, or if it's late at night and I just want to get to bed as soon as I can.

I don't always do that, of course, but I do feel a bit more comfortable when I manage to organise it. :-)
fruitcage and flygirl68 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:06 am
Original Poster

So - aside from the discussion of whether it's necessary to change money at all - could anyone kindly help with whether there is any non-Travelex way to change money in T5?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:09 am

I can definitely sympathise with wanting foreign currency in advance. A few weeks ago had to walk around Cologne/Bonn Airport and ended up wasting 20 minutes as multiple ATMs were out of service, and the other day in Spain a Santander ATM tried to charge me €7 for withdrawing there. Thankfully, these days the vast majority of places take card, but when travelling in Germany/Japan and similar countries...

Sadly. am not aware of any other money exchange - I would try and organise before you head to the airport if you can.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
So - aside from the discussion of whether it's necessary to change money at all - could anyone kindly help with whether there is any non-Travelex way to change money in T5?
Your local grocery supermarket Tesco or Sainsburys might have a forex counter. Rates will be reasonable. Maybe stop at one on the way to the airport?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
And there are decent walk-up rates available elsewhere. Take a look at:

https://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/
fruitcage likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As far as I know Travelex indeed have a monopoly at T5. LGW - to help anyone else - has a nifty way of having 2 providers, ICE is actually on the curtilage of the railway station so not under GAL's control, who currently have the Moneycorp franchise.

That also applies for T2 / T3 in that Heathrow tube station has ICE. Plus myriad options at Paddington if using HEX.

I used to be religious about thinking about currency on arrival, With now only a few exceptions I'm relaxed to go around with some USD $5 notes in pristine condition, the Post Office credit card, Nationwide and Revolut. Between them I've never been caught out (though Germany is probably the riskiest even now!).
fruitcage likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:46 am

Yes, Travelex are the exclusive ForEx provider at Heathrow. They also operate the ATMs on airport.

As c-w-s says, there is another option just inside the T2 & T3 underground station, but that’s not a lot of use if you are arriving at T5, I suppose. Many of the ATMs at Paddington (possibly all of them) are owned by that operator, ICE.
fruitcage likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.