Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Looking for CX reward availability for HKG-LHR on 8 Jan 2020

Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Greetings and Happy anew Year from Hong-kong!

When I search for award flights HKG BUSINESS CLASS CATHY TO LONDON FROM HKG.

It does not show up on British Airways! Website.

Shows on AA AND QUANTAS. Is there award space?

I am ONE WORLD Aliance Emerald, BA Gold

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I have noticed quirks seeing partner availability on the BA website. Let's face it, BA IT is not reknowned for it's quality or reliability.

If you have more specific information on dates and flights, perhaps we can help you more by verifying availabilty with other tools we have.

If you think availability must be there, then call BA to book it. If there's any online problem, which frankly the agents will be used to, then any telephone booking fees should be waived.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hkg to lhr.8th jan 2020 cathy business
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:37 am

searching on AA (redeem miles) shows one-stop flights via FRA or MXP does not show any direct flights
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by port21
Shows on AA AND QUANTAS. Is there award space?
I can not see anything on AA at 10:38 UK time on 3rd Jan. When did you look? I have not figured out Qantas yet.

I am...BA Gold.
Well done, again. It is an achievement but you need not tell everyone in every post. It only makes a difference for reward availability in Economy on BA Metal.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hello,
Thank you for all your help thus far.
Question
Should I be looking on AA website and choose MilesSaver? What one shows the availability I can use on BA?
Thank you!
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Isn't there a thread somewhere about short notice reward bookings on CX being restricted due to them being frequently.used for fraudulent redemption transactions. Someone better than me can probably find the thread or confirm if I am just making things up.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
As per the CX Avios Availability thread within approx one week of departure you need to call BA. Online availability does not show in this period - apparently due to sone fraud issues out of China.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Hello,
Thank you for all your help thus far.
Question
Should I be looking on AA website and choose MilesSaver? What one shows the availability I can use on BA?
Thank you!
If you are trying to use your BA Avios, the only place you could do this online is via BA.com.

Other tools may - or may not - give clues as to availability, which then gets mixed in with issues relating to whether all such availability is being transferred over multiple computer systems. There are two other issues for Cathay, namely that they have a notorious Married Segment issue, and also that short term availability may not be visible online to deal with scams and theft of Avios particular to that part of the world. Cathay availability is generally quirky, flights seem to show availability in non logical ways.

At this time of year (with HK students returning to the UK) you will struggle to find availability. You could call up to see if the agents can see anything, but if you can see a Cathay service on another similar route for the same date then that may not get you any further forward, since the computers are obviously working.

There is WT and WTP available on the BA service tomorrow (Sunday 5 January)
port21 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So when I go to AA (American Airlines) and search there is loads of business class award flights from Hong Kong to London.
Does this mean I can call BA and book these as it is all One World?
I am really just looking for a website, (AA I am using) just to see what options I have, once I figure out that, I will book via BA Phone.
On the AA Website there is loads of availability almost every day in Jan 2020 for that route, unless I am doing something wrong?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
As cws noted you can only use BA avios for rewards which show on BA.com

what route and dates are you looking at?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I am looking to get from Hong-Kong to London 7th, 8th Jan 2020
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:04 am

Please just get on the phone if you wish to try and use BA Avios.

AS CWS says there is no discrenible pattern connecting award availability on CX through other OW schemes and BA Avios. This forum has been trying to do this for years!

And also as CWS points out demand is likely to be high over the next week on this route due to returning students. J availability may be more open for a few days before it fills up with business travellers returning from toy industry events in HK. Consider MAN where J demand on the daily flight is often lower.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Modo
As per the CX Avios Availability thread within approx one week of departure you need to call BA. Online availability does not show in this period - apparently due to sone fraud issues out of China.
I thought that was only certain regional routes on CX? Does it apply to all routes?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:07 am

Certainly applied to MAN to HKG a few months back. Not tried VV for a while.
KARFA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.