Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways cancelled my booking - refusing to reinstate it

Old Jan 2, 20, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I made a booking to fly LHR - GVA - LHR on 3/01 and 07/01. Today, being the day of travel, I contacted British Airways to change the time of departure to an earlier flight. I spoke to a gentleman who made the requisite changes and emailed me my new ticket. After receiving the ticket I logged online to pick my seats and I was met with the British Airways website saying I was due a refund of approx £73 and to enter my email address to confirm where details of the refund will be sent (I thought a reduction in the price had taken place). I entered my email address and then it said 'booking cancelled'.

I have just spent the better part of 40 minutes, speaking to two different people at the British Airways call centre in India - two of the most remarkably unhelpful people.
  • They are adamant I cancelled the booking.
    • I raised with them, countless times, if I had cancelled my booking why was I calling BA to ask why my ticket had been cancelled?
    • I said I have bookings for hotels, plans to meet friends and have booked ski passes, train tickets etc. If I have booked and paid for those items and am using them this weekend why did I cancel my air ticket?
    • AGAIN - they repeated I cancelled my ticket.
  • I repeatedly asked them to please reinstate my ticket and they flat out refused.
  • The one lady then said 'your baggage has been sent to security'.
    • I said I am in London and my suitcase is in my study so please explain to me how my suitcase is at security. She repeated this 3-4 times.

I am immensely frustrated as I didn't cancel my booking; I was accused of lying by BOTH people I spoke to and I had to listen to nonsense about my baggage and the booking.
They then offered to sell me a new ticket at a heavily inflated price.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Old Jan 2, 20, 6:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I have no idea what happened here, but as a reader I would be very interested to see the sequence of screens you progressed through after you '...logged in online to pick my seats...'. I fear this may be your word against BA's unless you have some evidence of your interactions with MMB. I do hope you find a satisfactory resolution to this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 1:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Sounds like you were trying to do a SDC, but for some reason they processed it as a cancellation.

A SDC does not result in a new ticket (AFAIK) so this is somewhat confusing.

Do you now have a new PNR? Perhaps they cancelled and rebooked your flights? However, it may be easier for you to head to the airport to sort. What time is the new flight that you want to take?
Old Jan 3, 20, 1:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If I may be rather blunt (and I'm still on my first coffee of the day) if I was working in a Contact Centre and hearing the above, my assumption would be that you cancelled your own booking by accident, having for whatever reason ended up in the "Cancellation options for this booking", and rather than stopping at that point, ploughing on for a refund.

However! When I went into BA.com to check my answer, strangely enough it came to life with the last thing that I was doing (full website, Internet Explorer), which in my case was a harmless fare check. It would normally come up with the front screen. BA is perpetually making small changes to their online products, using Agile, so new things pop up quite regularly, and mostly they are steps forward, sometimes they are a step backwards - these often get reversed quickly.

Now this is effectively 2 anecdotes rather than anything confirmed, but it is the case that BA's website has multiple weaknesses. Also if you are making an SDC / FCOD then you can do that online most of the time. Furthermore there is a short period of time - minutes not hours - where the booking may look a bit of a mess (particularly on the App) between the change being made and the ticket being fully revalidated. If the screen had shown a refund, which definitely doesn't apply in this case, you should have stopped, logged out, got a coffee, started again.

In your position I would buy a new ticket, or use Avios (there is a ton of availability from LHR, LCY and LGW for your dates, incidentally), then write to Customer Relations and explain that you did not willingly cancel this booking, that you immediately contacted BA, and that you don't think this should have happened. If Customer Relations declines to rectify this by refunding the Avios booking, which would not surprise me, then you do have legal remedies thereafter, if you feel very strongly that the fault was not at your end.
bchang, golfmad and BearX220 like this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 747-444 View Post
Hello,

I made a booking to fly LHR - GVA - LHR on 3/01 and 07/01. Today, being the day of travel, I contacted British Airways to change the time of departure to an earlier flight.
In theory "calls should be recorded for security and training purposes". Ask to speak to a manager and get them to dig out the original call transcript (or the notes on the account if there are any) which should make clear that you wanted to change to an earlier flight.
Old Jan 3, 20, 2:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by GavT_london View Post
In theory "calls should be recorded for security and training purposes". Ask to speak to a manager and get them to dig out the original call transcript (or the notes on the account if there are any) which should make clear that you wanted to change to an earlier flight.
I think that has already been done successfully. The changed booking was subsequently cancelled (unwittingly) by the OP when he just wanted to change seats.

As C-W-S says, this stinks of a cache/cookie issue that directed the OP to the cancellation screen by mistake.
Old Jan 3, 20, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Perhaps post something in the glitches forum- BA‘a aiT team seem to monitor that and can perhaps help or at least stop the issue(s) recurring.

Issues, bugs and glitches on ba.com website [Please keep thread clutter-free!]
Old Jan 3, 20, 4:08 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.

Cancellation screen
OP;
If I try to replicate what happened to you since you were quoted a refund amount(*); and enter an email address, I then have to press ‘next’, and then have to actually press ‘confirm cancellation’.

I hope you appreciate the call centre might find it odd that entering your email address, then without pressing any other buttons it just cancels your booking.

I’d follow C-W-S’s advice and book an Avios seat if available and try to claim it back. Do you have screenshots of you making the booking?

*There is an alternate cancellation screen where you enter your email and again have to press cancel; but it does not give you a refund quote and sends it to a back office of sorts.

Last edited by ScienceTeacher; Jan 3, 20 at 4:27 am
Old Jan 3, 20, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Your details are still very visible through the blur ScienceTeacher
Old Jan 3, 20, 4:20 am
Original Poster

When I logged into 'manage my booking' after making the flight change the first thing in front of me was a request to input my email address confirming my refund. I at no time requested nor cancelled the booking.

I called BA at 07:30 London time and was put through to a man in Cape Town. He was actually helpful unlike the lot the night before. He said to me he has seen this once before and that he isn't able to assist but did point me in the direction of customer service. Again unlike the lot the night before.

My partner was sitting next to me when I logged in to make the seat changes and I noted to her how 'odd this looks about a refund'. She will testify to that.

The person who made the first changes did tell me he would make some changes for me within the booking and I need to not be in it for 5 mins. I suspect HE cancelled the booking.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 4:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 747-444 View Post
When I logged into 'manage my booking' after making the flight change the first thing in front of me was a request to input my email address confirming my refund. I at no time requested nor cancelled the booking.
SDC/FCOD never gives a refund, it's illogical for that to happen. That should, in my view, have been the sign to you stop right there. DYKWIA gave a better précis of my earlier message (but I know what a précis is!) in terms of explaining what may have happened.

By all means ask for them to listen to the tapes of the incident, their own logging of the changes on the booking will also say who did what. But I would urge you not to speculate that the first agent did something wrong since it could undermine their review of the evidence. From what I'm seeing, here, and based on my own familiarity of how BA.com works, you pressed the refund button in error, your best argument is that this should never have happened.
navylad, Often1, deeruck and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Your sole appeal to BA is that you either did not cancel or mean to cancel your ticket. You do not have any direct knowledge of what the first agent did and thus, if you make an accusation and it is unsupported, you have undermined what you want, e.g. a refund of the cancelled ticket.

If the call was recorded, BA may choose to listen to that. BA can also review the activity on the PNR and e-ticket and determine who typed what keystrokes. That would include whether you yourself cancelled the ticket. BA is well aware of its capabilities and thus no reason to focus on what it ought to do.

If it was the agent who cancelled when you requested a change, that will be obvious and you are due a full refund. If it was you, you are not due a refund, but BA may choose to do so as a customer service gesture.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I think that sums it up nicely @Often1.

My only question to the OP is what button did you press I.e. what did it say, after you had entered your email address in order for it to transmit that data

We’ve all been there where we’ve made a mistake, clicked on the wrong option without perhaps even realising it. This may have been originally caused by an ICT glitch of course, bringing up the wrong page which contributed to the trot or it may not have been.

Either way, I would stick purely factual with my dealings with BA. I called to make a SDFC, logged in to change seat, and the flight has been inadvertently cancelled, I’m not sure how. Hopefully you are able to investigate to help me understand what happened and help to reinstate the ticket having not had any intention to cancel.
DiamondMile likes this.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 3, 20 at 8:52 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: