Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA safety standards - are they as high as ever?

Old Jan 2, 20, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

Saw this which indicates that BA has slipped off the top 20 index of safest carriers (also reported in the Telegraph but appears behind a paywall). The article says that BA has had a comparatively high number of incidents, taking into account size of operator. Average fleet age is also cited which seems odd given rolling maintenance (ie seems to be a spurious measure).

Is BA ‘less safe’ than it used to be? This is just one of those ranking sites, so who knows their agenda / funding, but just wondered whether there’s any merit in number of incidents claim (could also of course be accounted for in a reporting culture amongst lots of other ‘innocent’ reasons).

I have to say the thing I’ve noticed is more of a sense of ‘rush’ on turnarounds - boarding in particular, and priorities such as printing ‘non essential’ parts such as tray tables does not sit well in my mind with what I thought was a BA Behaviour of ‘I do things properly’ - and I’ve often wondered whether any of this cost cutting has lead to greater operational pressures which could impact on safety. Anyway, I thought this may be of interest to the forum. Apologies if I have missed it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.exp...sh-airways/amp
Old Jan 2, 20, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
How do you print a tray table ??
Old Jan 2, 20, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allturnleft View Post
How do you print a tray table ??
https://mediacentre.britishairways.c...2019-319/11942

14. 3D printing – the airline’s tech experts will continue their trial of printing non-essential aircraft parts like tray tables, to ensure flights are able to depart on time and without seats going out of service.
Apparently you can do it with 3D printing. No idea!
allturnleft likes this.
Old Jan 2, 20, 4:19 pm

Isn’t it easier just to keep a small stock of tray tables?
Is a narrow seat long haul economy tray table common across all LH aircraft?
Old Jan 2, 20, 4:28 pm

Can they show their working?

What allowance is made for the fact that several of those airlines spend the vast majority of each year flying in utterly benign weather? What allowance is made for fleet size, historic and present? More importantly what allowance is made for the reporting culture in each country? I've flown with enough First officers who have been in the gulf states to know that things are somewhat different there.

Or is it just whatever random numbers create the best press release?

Short Haul turn rounds haven't been shortened, they are the same length they've always been. Some pressure has been applied on boarding times, because this was generally the weak link.

I have never feel rushed by processes and wouldn't let myself be anyway.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Jan 2, 20 at 4:50 pm
Old Jan 2, 20, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
Isn’t it easier just to keep a small stock of tray tables?
I think the point is that they could produce the parts easily at outstations instead of being to keep an inventory of parts at each one
richardwft likes this.
Old Jan 2, 20, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver View Post
Can they show their working?

Or is it just whatever random numbers create the best press release?

Short Haul turn rounds haven't been shortened, they are the same length they've always been. Some pressure has been applied on boarding times, because this was generally the weak link.

I have never feel rushed by processes and wouldn't let myself be anyway.
That’s good to know and what I was hoping.

I suppose a densified aircraft with more seats but the same time means it takes longer to get people / bags on & off.
Old Jan 2, 20, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
That’s good to know and what I was hoping.

I suppose a densified aircraft with more seats but the same time means it takes longer to get people / bags on & off.
Yes and to be honest the densified 321 turnround time isn't enough, but, from my point of view a 321 takes the same amount of time to set up as a 319 so we aren't the limiting factor. Its simply getting 200 off and 200 on.
Old Jan 2, 20, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
I've read that LH is far down the the list as a baggage truck damaged an airplane in FRA and somehow the plane was written off>

Not really a safety issue for me, but obviously statistics never lie...
Old Jan 2, 20, 5:26 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
No I don’t think standards have slipped, 3D printing of parts is commonplace now in many industries- we’ve used it with aircraft parts on the military for years now and it works well and there is no evidence of safety impact (indeed it may well improve safety culture since the right part is manufactured rather than the potential to fit the wrong part). I’ve been impressed having seen the levels of pilot and CC training and speaking to those within the Indistry, their reputation for good quality maintenance hasn’t slipped.

I take such ranking with a large pinch of salt, the reality is there is probably nothing that separates BA from the other top rated airlines except for the weighting given on various weighting factors, and an open reporting culture is likely to be the fudge here rand I suspect tin reality BA is actually a lot safer than any of the others on the list.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 3:01 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
No I don’t think standards have slipped, 3D printing of parts is commonplace now in many industries- we’ve used it with aircraft parts on the military for years now and it works well and there is no evidence of safety impact (indeed it may well improve safety culture since the right part is manufactured rather than the potential to fit the wrong part). I’ve been impressed having seen the levels of pilot and CC training and speaking to those within the Indistry, their reputation for good quality maintenance hasn’t slipped.
I would find it pretty interesting if 3D printed parts are making it into structural parts of the aircraft. How do they deal with the qualification of the parts? Is there stress testing of these parts? Non-destructive/destructive testing? I suppose if they get the plans/processes from the manufacturer, this could be okay. Obviously, you can't do this for all parts. E.g., it will be difficult to 3D print a 777 titanium landing gear assembly.
Old Jan 3, 20, 3:15 am

Programs: QF WP
The author is a chap called Geoffrey Thomas who is quite notorious around these parts

I will try not to write anything libellous but PPRUNE has a parallel thread which basically says it all
HIDDY and IAMORGAN like this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 3:32 am

Having a company like QR, with its “fire first, investigate second” attitude (see the 77W case in Miami or the A350 in JFK) and with a CEO that goes on record to say that a 77W flying intercon with a pressure breach happens “every time” in the top 20 makes this a highly questionable piece of news. I know plenty of people who have been sacked by QR for wanting or enforcing safety standards that are mandatory in Europe, especially for staff welfare.
Old Jan 3, 20, 3:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Highly questionable methodology. I'd ignore this one.
Old Jan 3, 20, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
Saw this which indicates that BA has slipped off the top 20 index of safest carriers (also reported in the Telegraph but appears
I have to say the thing I’ve noticed is more of a sense of ‘rush’ on turnarounds - boarding in particular, and priorities such as printing ‘non essential’ parts such as tray tables does not sit well in my mind
Well I am going to upset your mind even more. It perfectly normal and standard procedure to use speedtape to fix issues (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape).
GaxxyFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: