Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Pass more expensive in the North!?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Flight Pass more expensive in the North!?

I regularly fly Manchester to London and am exploring the Flight Pass, however, it seems to be more expensive if I select a personalised zone of Manchester to London (£78) rather than just select Manchester (£58) as the place I want to travel?? Am I missing something?

Do I have to buy return tickets with the Flight Pass or can I just book single flights?

Flight Pass cost selecting Man-LHR as personalised zone

Flight Pass cost with just Manchester selected

Last edited by ademanuele; Jan 2, 2020 at 2:41 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:06 am
Original Poster

I have emailed Optiontown Customer Care (who manage the scheme) and they have advised that Manchester to London is £78, but they have not advised what the £58 is for, I have asked twice. Any ideas??

£78 is no that great a deal, booking early I can often get a return for under £100.

Last edited by ademanuele; Jan 2, 2020 at 8:08 am Reason: Updated information.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:42 am
Original Poster

I received a response from Optiontown that was not exactly helpful, they suggested clicking the buy button and that this will show the route. I am attaching the two options and am non the wiser??

Flight Pass £78 option to Manchester

Flight Pass £58 option to Manchester
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I have never used the service before, but from reading your posts is it simply that their IT systems are not good enough to realise that your personalised ticket is the same as one of their standard ones and by default they charge more for personalised tickets?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Regardless unless you have to book late on peak services, these remain in my view to be poor value and would recommend full Y Inflexible fares with the possibility of SDFC.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:37 am
Original Poster

If the fare is £58 (whilst more expensive than an (advanced) economy basic fare at £46), the flexibility would be worth it for me as you can not often get the £46 fare one month ahead...
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by navylad
Regardless unless you have to book late on peak services, these remain in my view to be poor value and would recommend full Y Inflexible fares with the possibility of SDFC.
For those tied to standard weekly commuting times (Sun PM/Mon AM-Thurs/Fri PM), they certainly aren’t poor value IME and offer considerable savings, even when buying the book 1 month ahead + packages.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I weekly commute, I rarely Pt more than £100 flying on Friday and back Sunday evenings, better value than £156 in my opinion even if you are only booking a month out at the moment.

Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:21 am

Perhaps reflects the alternative rail options available from MAN. From DUB I used it for 3 years and saved a fortune, frequently €50+ per return flight.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I have never used the service before, but from reading your posts is it simply that their IT systems are not good enough to realise that your personalised ticket is the same as one of their standard ones and by default they charge more for personalised tickets?
This is almost certainly correct. I’ve used quite a few flight passes over the last few years and the IT is not great.

if you just want MAN-LHR and return then just book the cheaper one if it looks like good value compared to what you usually pay.

You can only book a return trip each time you use the pass, but it can be in either direction.
ademanuele likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.