Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How risky is it to have two separate bookings on flights departing the same day?

How risky is it to have two separate bookings on flights departing the same day?

Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Having flown on a 6pm service to MAN for a 9.30 QR service to AKL - which worked out absolutely fine - but made me worry for the weeks leading up, I would always recommend a night before for absolute peace of mind. As you mention, if the saving is huge why worry about a Ł100 hotel room. Especially if the night before flight is late enough you wouldn't need to take any annual leave
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
We have done ex-OSL a number of times and always go the day before. Always have a plan B. Our first go was when the ‘beast from the east’ struck but we managed to bring the positioning flight a further day forward. Last time they announced pilots strikes so we booked a cheap SAS one way flight for later the same day as our planned BA flight.

That late QR departure is inconvenient though as there is a wait between hotel checkout and airline check in. So go early and stay in town, or buy a bottle of gin at LHR and drink heavily. A bottle of gin in DF is cheaper than a single G&T in Norway - but we haven’t found anywhere at OSL that sells tonic!
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
We have done ex-OSL a number of times and always go the day before. Always have a plan B. Our first go was when the ‘beast from the east’ struck but we managed to bring the positioning flight a further day forward. Last time they announced pilots strikes so we booked a cheap SAS one way flight for later the same day as our planned BA flight.

That late QR departure is inconvenient though as there is a wait between hotel checkout and airline check in. So go early and stay in town, or buy a bottle of gin at LHR and drink heavily. A bottle of gin in DF is cheaper than a single G&T in Norway - but we haven’t found anywhere at OSL that sells tonic!
two tips from me...

Tonic can be purchased in supermarkets.

Torn hote Rosenkrantz has late check out option.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
That late QR departure is inconvenient though as there is a wait between hotel checkout and airline check in.
I normally chose the 4pm departure, so all it needs is asking the hotel for a 1hr extension to the normal check out time
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Nobody here can tell you whether your LHR-OSL will be cancelled or delayed and if so by how much.
There’s just been a thread by someone claiming that his company can.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
No risk no reward
I'm going buck the trend here, but a bit of this depends on your risk tolerance and how you value your time. If you do this sameday 10x a year, you'll probably make the connection 95% of the time. Now, if this is your once in a lifetime trip and you wouldn't be willing to pay the change fee to a later Qatar flight (which would be punitive as it'd involve a refare), then by all means lose a night of your life in a Scandi airport hotel.

Doing this 20x in a row however, the cumulative savings in time mean that the rare time it goes wrong can be viewed as a "cost of doing business". I'm typing this from an ex-EU where I had a 2.5 hour connection, and lo-and-behold it was completely fine, even with a go-around for my inbound flight.

It's a bit like paying for insurance: on average you lose money. but many people still like buying insurance for peace of mind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.