Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Nicking of Airline Cutlery, glassware and blankets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nicking of Airline Cutlery, glassware and blankets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
No one can honestly believe the pyjamas are reusable can they? i,evwashable and redistributed

I am referring to the BA F variety
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by allturnleft
No one can honestly believe the pyjamas are reusable can they? i,evwashable and redistributed

I am referring to the BA F variety
why not? I do wash and reuse mine. I do find the ba f pyjamas of good quality personally (much more so, say, than y blankets!)
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
why not? I do wash and reuse mine. I do find the ba f pyjamas of good quality personally (much more so, say, than y blankets!)
Of course personally ! But not to be recycled do redistribute

In the examples above people were putting pyjamas in the same category as cutlery to be re-used in the plane
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro

In the examples above people were putting pyjamas in the same category as cutlery to be re-used in the plane
Why shouldn't F pyjamas be washed and reused? Hotel bathrobes/yukatas/pyjamas get washed and reused. JAL J cardigans get washed and reused.

We here know that airline pyjamas generally do not get washed and reused by the airline, but are instead expected to be taken by the passenger, but it really makes no sense at all.
orbitmic and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sassysan
Why shouldn't F pyjamas be washed and reused? Hotel bathrobes/yukatas/pyjamas get washed and reused. JAL J cardigans get washed and reused.

We here know that airline pyjamas generally do not get washed and reused by the airline, but are instead expected to be taken by the passenger, but it really makes no sense at all.
Given the cost if sorting and laundering and the fact that they will deteriorate after repeated laundering meaning some will end up with shabby pyjamas (can you imagine the compensation threads on here ) why would airlines want to do this?

Plus who would want to wear previously worn pyjamas?
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Given the cost if sorting and laundering and the fact that they will deteriorate after repeated laundering meaning some will end up with shabby pyjamas (can you imagine the compensation threads on here ) why would airlines want to do this?

Plus who would want to wear previously worn pyjamas?
Pyjamas can stand many wash cycles before visibly deteriorating, especially if they are manufactured with that in mind, and it's not hard to remove shabby pyjamas from service. My (accidentally) stolen JL cardigan has held up great, and even my QR F pyjamas lasted a couple years despite being manufactured to be used only once.

Hotels reuse bathrobes, yukatas, and pyjamas regularly and no one seems to complain. It reduces costs and is better for the environment. Airlines don't do except for JAL and their cardigans, because premium cabin customers have been trained to expect the wasteful practice of single-use pyjamas.
orbitmic and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Red, HH Gold
Despite VS putting ‘pinched from Virgin Atlantic’ on the bottom of the PE/UC cruet sets, the PE blankets have ‘I belong in the sky, please don’t bring me down’ or something similar on the labels, never noticed anything similar on their UC bedding or CW bedding, maybe the assumption is a thin blanket is one use so people are more likely to take that than a full bedding set.

Having said that however (apologies if this has already been posted) people will take mattresses from hotels according to this TPG article from December 2019...

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/not-...g-from-hotels/
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Well, in my case I put pyjamas on planes in the same category as pyjamas lent in hotels and in the same category as blankets or bedsheets on planes. I just (genuinely) do not see a fundamental difference between those.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Well, in my case I put pyjamas on planes in the same category as pyjamas lent in hotels and in the same category as blankets or bedsheets on planes. I just (genuinely) do not see a fundamental difference between those.
We've had confirmation on here that airline pyjamas are not recycled and thrown away after a single use so I wouldn't put them in the same category. They're going to the bin or you can wear them at home.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I guess one day I might actually wear airline PJs, either on board or at home. Although, frankly, I know they will be too warm for sleeping in ... they may have some daytime use if not expecting visitors.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
We've had confirmation on here that airline pyjamas are not recycled and thrown away after a single use so I wouldn't put them in the same category. They're going to the bin or you can wear them at home.
Not quite: we have heard that of the BA F pyjamas but again, the JL J ones are returned (they will ask you for them if you do not return them spontaneously) washed and reused. The JL F pyjamas also used to be returned years ago though this has changed since.

In any case, airlines can indeed decide what to reuse or not, but the point of a few of us was that is their decision, not a logical, predictable, or universal one. Again another good example are Y headsets which - at similar quality level - are to keep on many airlines but collected and reused on some others. This is why as suggested by others, I see nothing wrong with people asking if in doubt and taking the crew members' word for what can or cannot be kept if they ask.
adrianlondon and alex67500 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I have enough clutter in my house, already, without adding airline nick-knacks.

In case anyone is interested, there is a DFW AA store near gate C2 that sells all kinds of branded AA merchandise. Last time I was there, it was staffed by two retired flight attendants who were very chatty and pleasant. It's a nice place to visit if you have time to spare in DFW.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I always take the pyjamas with me as I assumed they were yours to take away. I re-use them at work and they usually last a deployment - even with the laundry on board washing on boil and tumbling on nuclear
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by stampcollector
D
Having said that however (apologies if this has already been posted) people will take mattresses from hotels according to this TPG article from December 2019...

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/not-...g-from-hotels/
Wow!!!
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by alex67500
We know that, however, it's not obvious at all that that should be the case. It goes against basically everything else, as hotels reuse pyjamas, and even airlines reuse every other fabric item they hand you.

the JL J ones are returned (they will ask you for them if you do not return them spontaneously) washed and reused.
Have you ever had them ask for it back? I usually left mine in my seat along with the blanket and pillow when deplaning. I wasn't even confronted when I carried my cardigan off my first JL J flight and only found out that I wasn't supposed to do that when I read stuff online. Maybe they only ask for the cardigan back if you don't look like a Japanese businessman.

I'm somewhat surprised that cardigan theft isn't a problem for JL. They don't tell you to return your cardigan unless you ask or you read the literature about the cardigan being a "rental", and they don't enforce cardigan return even when you conspicuously leave the plane with one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.