Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Nicking of Airline Cutlery, glassware and blankets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nicking of Airline Cutlery, glassware and blankets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
The older BA blue 1st pjs washed well and I ind them useful for bathing the dog and decorating. I have a couple of pairs that have been washed dozens of times.

The new black ones do not wash well at all. They are scrap after a couple of washes.
I too use mine for decorating, cleaning and repairing the house. Sadly no pet to wash though!

The black one seems to wash OK for me but the ladies' may be made of slight different materials (I noticed two different materials for ladies ones - one a bit scratchy, the other not).
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:25 am
Original Poster

I would say J/F pj’s are to be taken along with the Amenity kit. Still don’t see the point of nicking blankets, cutlery or small glasses. But each to their own.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SA100
I would say J/F pj’s are to be taken along with the Amenity kit. Still don’t see the point of nicking blankets, cutlery or small glasses. But each to their own.
The question of the "point" is actually a very interesting one! If I were to venture a guess, I would imagine that many of the people who take a spoon or a blanket don't do it so much out of greed as as a "souvenir" (as someone else wrote upthread) that connects them to their trip. One thing many of us often forget is that for the vast majority of people, a trip is actually a rare and exciting occasion. I'm always interested to see a lot of people taking a coaster or an ashtray in a bar, random postcards, leaflets and what not. I'm guessing that the teaspoon probably falls in the same category from the point of view of the - shall we kindly say - "collector", something which they think will put them back in their holiday "good mood" when they use it to stir their coffee on a rainy Monday morning before heading off to the office. That is, however, merely a guess.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
The question of the "point" is actually a very interesting one! If I were to venture a guess, I would imagine that many of the people who take a spoon or a blanket don't do it so much out of greed as as a "souvenir" (as someone else wrote upthread) that connects them to their trip. One thing many of us often forget is that for the vast majority of people, a trip is actually a rare and exciting occasion. I'm always interested to see a lot of people taking a coaster or an ashtray in a bar, random postcards, leaflets and what not. I'm guessing that the teaspoon probably falls in the same category from the point of view of the - shall we kindly say - "collector", something which they think will put them back in their holiday "good mood" when they use it to stir their coffee on a rainy Monday morning before heading off to the office. That is, however, merely a guess.
To me, visiting a jewelry store is a rare and exciting occasion, so I like to slip a ring or bracelet into my pocket as I am leaving the store.

It helps to connect me with the trip.
T8191, ttama, fluffymitten and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
What size does your dog wear? Doesn’t he mind that the PJ’s have been previously worn?
Maybe we can finally get an answer to the age old question of how a dog would wear pants?! (Trousers)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ided-internet/
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I think it all comes down to common sense (which judging by some replies and experiences here seems lacking at times).

I see really no harm in taking home a blanket or a spoon after a Ł4k business class trip, it's really inconsequential. During my last trip to SIN, for instance, I forgot my PJs and thus took with me the one QF offered during the flight which I used throughout my hotel stay. I don't think I broke QF's bank...

Same applies to the odd spoon I took because I fancied it, like the EY cutlery which has a smart design, or tea from the lounge - I sometimes take some camomile with me as I am not always sure the hotel will have some.

An entirely different affair would be to bring home the entire set, or constantly stealing stuff every single flight.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
BTW, totally ot (in that it is always entirely unrelated to airline ones) but I find having a spoon on me when I travel is one of my "core essentials" and I always bring one (from home - I actually kept a couple from my previous cutlery set specifically for that!) in my back pack on all my trips - my core snacks are fruit and yoghurt and I can never be certain that I'll be near a spoon when I fancy it, so it's something I have been carrying for years now and enjoyed on many a Greek yoghurt in terra cotta dish or a passionfruit!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
@orbitmic ...We travel with a small drawstring bag containing essentials ... corkscrew, bottle stoppers, scissors, sheathed kitchen knife and (our own) bits of cutlery. “Be Prepared”
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic

I think that you have hit the bail on the head.

2 years ago I was lucky if we managed one or even two trips a year. I Therefore have a drawer at home of european train tickets, boarding passes, beer mats, leaflets etc collected from trips over the past 25 years. I kept all of this as, in additional to photos, an actual physical connection to holiday trips .
And now I am taking many more trips. I still find myself doing it...
The only thing from air travel that I have. other than boarding passes, is a 12 inch square BA white napkin that I took completely by mistake about 12 months ago.
Nothing in my cupboard (except the odd skeleton or two), no BA glasses or teaspoons.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by frandrake
I think it all comes down to common sense (which judging by some replies and experiences here seems lacking at times).

I see really no harm in taking home a blanket or a spoon after a Ł4k business class trip, it's really inconsequential. During my last trip to SIN, for instance, I forgot my PJs and thus took with me the one QF offered during the flight which I used throughout my hotel stay. I don't think I broke QF's bank...
Yes, stealing things only from businesses that can afford it is simply common sense.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Yes, stealing things only from businesses that can afford it is simply common sense.
Sustainable nicking innit?
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
@orbitmic ...We travel with a small drawstring bag containing essentials ... corkscrew, bottle stoppers, scissors, sheathed kitchen knife and (our own) bits of cutlery. “Be Prepared”
And tartan flask?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:09 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by T8191
And a towel. Always have your towel with you.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
And tartan flask?
Happily, wine comes on bottles.

Oh, I failed to mention our travelling collection of portable ashtraya ...
Amazon Amazon
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...378d6970SnHokc
You don’t get ‘essentials’ like that by ‘stealing’, although the Parish of St Helier was until recently giving out free Butt Pouches to help keep the streets clean.

Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
To me, visiting a jewelry store is a rare and exciting occasion, so I like to slip a ring or bracelet into my pocket as I am leaving the store.

It helps to connect me with the trip.
The difference of course is the diamond ring in the jewellery store is for sale and has a price on it. The pj's in F are provided for the passenger's enjoyment as part of their ticket price and are not sold separately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.