Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Fare Deals | master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I can confirm this. Amex with an address correct in all things apart from the country will approve.
Which is why so many people could get around the BA imposed credit card surcharge by mistakenly entering their country as Ukraine
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Which is why so many people could get around the BA imposed credit card surcharge by mistakenly entering their country as Ukraine
What credit card surcharge?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
What credit card surcharge?
The old surcharge a few years back.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by absoluy
I agree that Priceline is the only safe bet (although it still falls over sometimes... it has a nasty habit of taking Y+ segments and knocking them down to Y without changing the price...).

For the AA site, I’ve found that if you pay with an AmEx and change the payment address on the booking/payment to be the same country as the site you’re booking on then it usually goes through. AmEx doesn’t seem to validate the address but other card issuers do.
Good to know, but on this occasion AA wasn't even getting to the payment screen. It was erroring the step before that. "Fare no longer available. Ram it."
Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: FB (platinum for life), AAdvantage (exec platinum), Aeroflot Bonus (gold)
Moscow to US East Coast (BOS, NYC, maybe somewhere else): $2500-2520 R/T in F (depending on where you book / currency / exchange rate), lots of dates during spring and summer.
Starting from April it is possible to put DME-LHR to F as it will be operated on a 787 once a day -- so 840TPs for ~$2500. Some creative routing is possible to increase mileage without increasing cost (for example via ORD).

Same itinerary goes as low as $700 (NYC) to $760 (BOS) in premium economy (booking classes KT-TK) or ~$950-1030 (booking classes TT-TT, same remark about 787 applies).
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by chil
Moscow to US East Coast (BOS, NYC, maybe somewhere else): $2500-2520 R/T in F (depending on where you book / currency / exchange rate), lots of dates during spring and summer.
Starting from April it is possible to put DME-LHR to F as it will be operated on a 787 once a day -- so 840TPs for ~$2500. Some creative routing is possible to increase mileage without increasing cost (for example via ORD).

Same itinerary goes as low as $700 (NYC) to $760 (BOS) in premium economy (booking classes KT-TK) or ~$950-1030 (booking classes TT-TT, same remark about 787 applies).
Nice heads up, sadly BA wouldn’t allow b2b positioning on Russia flights without a valid visa, so you either have to get a visa or go to Russia via another Country to argue ‘in transit’ rights (has anybody actually done that recently and had success) ?

Pilot37
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:54 pm
WLX

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Nice heads up, sadly BA wouldn’t allow b2b positioning on Russia flights without a valid visa, so you either have to get a visa or go to Russia via another Country to argue ‘in transit’ rights (has anybody actually done that recently and had success) ?

Pilot37
If you are remaining airside and not entering Russia, and have proof of onward travel to show the gate agent, I don’t see why they shouldn’t board you. Don’t need a visa if you don’t plan on entering the country.

Edit: I suppose you and BA could end up in trouble if they had to divert to another Moscow airport for weather – you would have to enter Russia then. This causes issues sometimes when aircraft divert mid-flight back from Asia and land somewhere like Kazakhstan – a 777 full of passengers is suddenly stuck in Almaty or something and the airline can’t do anything for them in terms of accommodation because they can’t leave the building.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by WLX
If you are remaining airside and not entering Russia, and have proof of onward travel to show the gate agent, I don’t see why they shouldn’t board you. Don’t need a visa if you don’t plan on entering the country.

Edit: I suppose you and BA could end up in trouble if they had to divert to another Moscow airport for weather – you would have to enter Russia then. This causes issues sometimes when aircraft divert mid-flight back from Asia and land somewhere like Kazakhstan – a 777 full of passengers is suddenly stuck in Almaty or something and the airline can’t do anything for them in terms of accommodation because they can’t leave the building.
This has come up before, hence my post - a previous FT member was denied boarding in LHR on a BA b2b because it is not ‘in transit’ - they have become strict on this point so it is not even worth trying, if you want to try a b2b with BA you will need a valid Russian visa.

(In transit has become like the Chinese version, point A-B-C, not point A-B-A)

Pilot37
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:18 pm
WLX

This has come up before, hence my post - a previous FT member was denied boarding in LHR on a BA b2b because it is not ‘in transit’ - they have become strict on this point so it is not even worth trying, if you want to try a b2b with BA you will need a valid Russian visa.

Pilot37
Or perhaps there are less strict airlines one could position on? But it’s a big risk!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by WLX
Or perhaps there are less strict airlines one could position on? But it’s a big risk!
Unless you're ready to drop the last leg, the same issue arises on the way back. And then you're denied boarding in the US with very little recourse...
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by WLX
Absolutely not recommendable.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:05 am

Nice heads up, sadly BA wouldn’t allow b2b positioning on Russia flights without a valid visa
In the interests of fairness (and far be it for me to ask to pause the implicit BA-bashing for just a second), this is not BA’s doing, but rather the Russian authorities and their immigration rules. Funnily enough countries don’t set immigration law based on the needs of TP-runners.

There’s no issue doing this from a third country (in both directions of course), and there’s plenty of people on this board who do have Russian visas, so it is still worth pointing out for their benefit.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:13 pm

Not sure why one would chance it given the comments here, seems too risky to contemplate for me.

rb211.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
INV-PDX-EDI

Am I correct in thinking that this fare does not have a "book by" date and that it is currently an ongoing offer. I am pleased that I can see fares into October which is unusual but I cannot see the fare rules on the 2020 section above. I am also considering booking this for summertime and then just booking a return from PDX to LAX using avios etc.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by PIKnic
INV-PDX-EDI

Am I correct in thinking that this fare does not have a "book by" date and that it is currently an ongoing offer. I am pleased that I can see fares into October which is unusual but I cannot see the fare rules on the 2020 section above. I am also considering booking this for summertime and then just booking a return from PDX to LAX using avios etc.
IKX1T1S4 INV-PDX fare is book by 30th Jan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.