Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The Air Passenger Rights and Air Travel Organisers’ Licensing (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019

Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.

For the 2019 thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1948451-2019-ba-compensation-thread-your-guide-regulation-ec261-2004-a.html

Print Wikipost

The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:12 am

Private Pilot DR40. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post and for the advice. It is much appreciated. This is a great thread and resource.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: AF P, BA G, A3 *G, EK G
Originally Posted by Happychick
Hello,

I was on flight BA 269 to LAX on Wednesday the 29th Jan. I received an email from BA before I left home informing me "due to essential engineering work being carried out on the aircraft the estimated departure would move from 15.30 to 17.30." At 17.30 the plane was still not ready for boarding. I saw the crew make their way to the plane and then saw them back in the departure gate and then head back towards the plane.

We were told that the further delay to our departure was due to the plane being cleaned and the crew needing to do security checks.

When we boarded the plane we were told that we were waiting for a tug. Then a crew member had run out of time and we were waiting for a replacement crew member. They boarded and the captain announced we were then waiting for the tug again.

The 15.30 eventually left Heathrow just after 8pm. I put in a claim for the late arrival of the aircraft in LAX 10.46pm instead of 6.50pm.
I was told that my claim was denied as the delay was due to "aircraft control restrictions being in place over a block of airspace my aircraft intended to travel". Hmmm that is not what information we received via email and from the Captain.

Is there anyway I can take this forward? BA customer relations seem adamant that it was due to air traffic control.
I am currently fighting for the same flight and had all the same information as you. Here were the two responses I've had so far .

Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation for your flight BA0269 to Los Angeles on 29 January in World Traveller Plus.

We're sorry it was necessary to delay your flight. Your claim's under EU Regulation has been refused because your flight has been delayed due to Air Traffic control decisions, caused by a taxiway congestion. As this is outside of British Airways control, according with EU Regulation there is no EU compensation due, under these circumstances. I´m sorry to disappoint you.

Thank you for your reply.

I know you feel misled by us towards our decision under EU Regulation, particularly as the pilot has narrated all the incidents. However, let me explain to you how we end up with this decision. Whenever there is a flight delay, the pilot issue a dedicated flight report, where all the reasons behind the delay are included. Usually, there is more than one reason that makes an aircraft miss the departure slot and, in this case the major reason behind this delay was indeed a taxiway traffic congestion.

We’re very proud at British Airways that we comply fully with EU regulations and will always fully compensate our customers when a valid claim is made. All claims sent to us are thoroughly investigated and we’re very experienced in assessing claims and have a vast knowledge of EU legislation. It’s certainly not in either of our interests for us not to comply as we always hope that despite the inconveniences our customers have experienced on their journey that they will fly with us again. By denying valid claims would only frustrate and annoy our customers even further.
In the most extreme circumstances runway congestion would not last for nearly 5 hours and the original delay was due to engineering works.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:00 am

What they’re trying to do is to say that the engineering component of the delay - or anyway the part of the delay that they can be on the hook for - has a duration lower than the EC261 threshold.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 13901
What they’re trying to do is to say that the engineering component of the delay - or anyway the part of the delay that they can be on the hook for - has a duration lower than the EC261 threshold.
And I think my reply would be that if BA had organised themselves a bit better in respect of the engineering aspect, by any reasonable measure (let alone all) BA would have prevented such a long delay.

This has the hallmark of "our answer will not change", so I would suggest that those affected ask for confirmation of that and go off to CEDR. I'm surprised how quick BA has responded (and replied a second time) on this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And I think my reply would be that if BA had organised themselves a bit better in respect of the engineering aspect, by any reasonable measure (let alone all) BA would have prevented such a long delay.

This has the hallmark of "our answer will not change", so I would suggest that those affected ask for confirmation of that and go off to CEDR. I'm surprised how quick BA has responded (and replied a second time) on this.
I don’t dispute the poor form on payments but, if I understood correctly, a couple of the other delays were unavoidable: catering loading takes time, a passenger offload takes time; perhaps the crew issue with the pilots going out of hours might’ve been handled differently, though they still needed to arrive from home (by TU agreement there’s no airport standby for the pilots). This doesn’t mean BA shouldn’t pay, in my view.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
13901 i think they just copy and paste the same email they sent to everyone apart from changing the flight details. It is quite obvious if you have worked for a big company/institution etc.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:36 am

From various reading, I think I know the answer to this, and have put my conclusions at the end of this post, but I'd be interested to hear out others' opinions.

Two family members were booked MCT-LHR in F on a 2-4-1 on a Saturday in November. A few days before flying, the aircraft was changed to a plane with no F cabin.

They received an e-mail, which suggested they had seats in CW and that they should call.

Family member called to confirm changes, and was told there was no seating in CW or WT+ and that they would have to take seats in WT if they wanted to travel on that plane (!).

Flying in WT was a no go, and this was refused.

BA offered a pair of seats in CW on the Sunday - this didn't work for the pax so was refused.

Pax offered to fly back on the Friday - losing a day of holiday - as a compromise. Long story short, one seat in CW and one in WT+ was confirmed, and within an hour a second CW seat was confirmed.

Pax flew back in CW on the Friday.

BA sent a 4-figure eVoucher to cover the downgrade. This was neither accepted nor rejected by the pax, but a later email from BA confirmed that "The eVoucher was given as a gesture of goodwill". No option for a cash refund/compensation was offered.

The terms of the voucher mean that it is near enough useless to these pax.

My understanding is that this was involuntary downgrade under EU261, and the pax are due a cash compensation under EU261. It seems like this would need to go to CEDR as BA will almost definitely refuse any claim before then.

Is this correct?

(and this is all before we crack open the can of worms that is calculating how much the compensations should be!)
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by shadowline
My understanding is that this was involuntary downgrade under EU261, and the pax are due a cash compensation under EU261. It seems like this would need to go to CEDR as BA will almost definitely refuse any claim before then.

Is this correct?

(and this is all before we crack open the can of worms that is calculating how much the compensations should be!)
If there was no realistic First option offered then yes, it has to be a downgrade. You are perhaps - and understandably - jumping to conclusions that it has to go to CEDR. Just go to the Mennens formula calculation (see wiki), round it up to the nearest Ł10 and ask BA to pay that amount "in line with the Mennens Formula set out by the CJEU for EC261 downgrades". They will probably say that it needs to go the back office for calculation, this may take a few weeks. At some point either BA will offer the downgrade calculation or not, as the case may be. At that point it's best to go to CEDR rather than have a webform pingpong battle. The calculation made by BA may not look anything like Mennens but it may be OK for you all things considered.

My understanding of e-vouchers is that they can be used by person X to book for passenger Y (not just X). So it would be a bit surprising if they really can't use the voucher. But if it is useless, then send it back, but BA are entitled to show goodwill by whatever mechanism they choose.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
@Happychick and @want2beaqui

I was also on BA269 on 29 Jan and BA has already approved my 600 euros with zero pushback. Don't give up!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:40 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Now that Brexit has occurred, will BA operated flights still be covered under EC261? How about flights departing the UK on other (ie American) carriers?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
Now that Brexit has occurred, will BA operated flights still be covered under EC261? How about flights departing the UK on other (ie American) carriers?
No changes, EC261 has long been UK law and will remain so until Parliament changes the law. There is no such law change in the Queen's Speech, nor is there anything being drafted.
alex67500, Gig103, Tocsin and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No changes, EC261 has long been UK law and will remain so until Parliament changes the law. There is no such law change in the Queen's Speech, nor is there anything being drafted.
Thanks, CWS!
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:08 am

Trent 1000 Success

Today I received the decision from the CEDR adjudicator, and I have been awarded my EC 261 claim in full! Thanks again for your help, and I will try to help others here in the future should BA continue trying to use the RR engine issue to avoid paying legally required compensation.

Cheers,

kellyseamus

Originally Posted by kellyseamus
Hi All,

I am following up with claim I started in the 2019 thread. I had a flight from LHR to PIT (transatlantic) cancelled 2 days in mid-November before it was scheduled because of the infamous Trent 1000 engine issues. BA denied my EC261 claim,...
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kellyseamus
and I will try to help others here in the future should BA continue trying to use the RR engine issue to avoid paying legally required compensation.
It may be helpful to put the CEDR judgement wording here if you can, redacting any personal details. There are a few other cases going through the system at the moment, so I think BA have made a policy decision to decline all cases unless CEDR force them to do otherwise, case by case.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:15 am

Sorry if this has been answered, I have tried to google it. If I buy a ticket for example on Qatar from DOH to LHR and then onwards to MAN all on one ticket with QR PNR. First segment is flown by Qatar and last with BA. First flight is on QR code and last with BA code.

If the QR flight lands on time and the BA flight is cancelled due to lack of crew. Will this be applicable for EU261? QR is not an EU airline flying into EU, but if we have a connection does that matter?

If I am due some EU261, would they then look at the distance between DOH and MAN or LHR and MAN? Let us say we where 3.5h late on scheduled arrival.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.