Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The Air Passenger Rights and Air Travel Organisers’ Licensing (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019

Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

Downgrades: Mennens case - calculation formula is in this post
787 cancellations due to Trent engine issues - CEDR ruling information from the post in the 2018 thread and onwards.

For the 2019 thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1948451-2019-ba-compensation-thread-your-guide-regulation-ec261-2004-a.html

Print Wikipost

The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Oct 31, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
So I have at last (not that I wanted it) an itinerary that in my eyes appear to qualify for EC261, let's see if the hive mind can confirm:
I had my return booked as
09Nov DFW-LHR 2215-1315(10Nov)
11Nov LHR-CPH 0855-1150
Both on BA and one ticket

On 27Oct DFW-LHR changed (same flight) to 2005-1105 (-2h10min)
On 30Oct LHR-CPH was cancelled and replaced by 1410-1700 (arriving 5h 10min later than originally)

I expect to file for the late arrival. I don't feel it is even worth bothering with the earlier departure, but would I have been entitled to anything if I had?

Many thanks,

LcS
Old Oct 31, 2020, 9:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
I expect to file for the late arrival. I don't feel it is even worth bothering with the earlier departure, but would I have been entitled to anything if I had?
Why don't you ask to rebook the CPH flight to 10 November, since the connection is now valid? If you don't then I suspect BA may point that out, and at the very least regard LHR-CPH as a standalone trip, with 250€ at stake.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I know what the answer is likely to be but here goes.

I’ve just had my NQY flights cancelled 13 days before departure. It’s a domestic route and I can’t see any reason other than commercial reasons as to why this was cancelled. They were also due to operate daily subsidised flights under a Government agreement. Any grounds for compensation?
So I’m still in talks with BA about the above, however I fear today’s announcement might ruin my chance of success.

When BA cancelled my flight on 23rd October, there were no restrictions affecting domestic travel in London or Cornwall. Hence, I had a leg to stand on for compensation.

However, it seems the new lockdown measures will be brought in from Thursday 5th November (the day of my cancelled flight!). I have a feeling BA will now cite this as the reason for cancellation, which I agree is an extraordinary circumstance.

However, it is crucial to note that when they cancelled my flight, it was a commercial decision and not due to lockdown or any other extraordinary restrictions.

Do I still have a case or will everyone vote in BA’s favour because we will be in a lockdown on the date of the cancelled flight?
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don’t see your case has changed at all. What is relevant are the reasons for cancellation when it was done, not what happens subsequently.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don’t see your case has changed at all. What is relevant are the reasons for cancellation when it was done, not what happens subsequently.
Thanks for your insight, I of course agree.

I just wanted to get another opinion before I resume talks. (I sound like a union rep now ).

Last edited by BAeuro; Nov 2, 2020 at 4:31 am
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:34 am

I know what the answer is likely to be but here goes.

I’ve just had my NQY flights cancelled 13 days before departure. It’s a domestic route and I can’t see any reason other than commercial reasons as to why this was cancelled. They were also due to operate daily subsidised flights under a Government agreement. Any grounds for compensation?
For others in this situation, here is my reply from BA:

I'd like to inform you that we had to cancel your flight due to commercial reasons. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For others in this situation, here is my reply from BA:

I'd like to inform you that we had to cancel your flight due to commercial reasons. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.
And as I'm sure you are aware, commercial reasons are not valid grounds for denying compensation. If you feel strongly about it, ask BA to confirm that their position will not change, then you can try the MCOL or CEDR routes.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And as I'm sure you are aware, commercial reasons are not valid grounds for denying compensation. If you feel strongly about it, ask BA to confirm that their position will not change, then you can try the MCOL or CEDR routes.
Yes I am, thanks CWS.

I will go back to them once more and explain my argument again. If I don’t succeed, I will have a think about whether to go further.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 6:12 am
Original Poster

I will go back to them once more and explain my argument again. If I don’t succeed, I will have a think about whether to go further.
I must admit I struggle to understand why people try pushing back on this - it hasn't worked before and it certainly won't work now. A quick look upthread will show you how BA operates here, and BA rarely changes their position. We're talking about a policy, and staff are expected to go along with that policy. The policy may well be wrong (in fact it almost certainly is) but no agent can run against it.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 6:24 am

I must admit I struggle to understand why people try pushing back on this - it hasn't worked before and it certainly won't work now. A quick look upthread will show you how BA operates here, and BA rarely changes their position. We're talking about a policy, and staff are expected to go along with that policy. The policy may well be wrong (in fact it almost certainly is) but no agent can run against it.
I doubt BA will change their mind, but I want to show I’ve tried more than once and we’ve reached a deadlock.

Many resolution services need proof that you’ve tried, BA have refused and your talks have ended.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Many resolution services need proof that you’ve tried, BA have refused and your talks have ended.
Hence the advice to simply cut to the chase and ask BA to confirm that their position won't change. You don't need to take my word for it, just look upthread.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 6:30 am

Hence the advice to simply cut to the chase and ask BA to confirm that their position won't change. You don't need to take my word for it, just look upthread.
I know what you’re saying and I’m aware BA are very unlikely to change their position. However, this is only actually the first time they’ve refused it to me (on previous emails they were confused about what flight I was talking about).

So I think it’s fair to reply once more, state my case, and then if they refuse, take it further.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Booked IST>LHR>PHL>TPA on Oct21 to fly on NOV02

BA IST>LHR 10:00-11:30
BA LHR>PHL 2:15-5:15
AA PHL>TPA 7:05-9:43

Booked an AA ticket, but with BA flights on the first two segments.

Oct25 I got an email about a random reservation (not in my name) changed on AA. I asked on twitter and they said the rep I called hadn't closed out my flight before editing someone else's. I said I hadn't called. They said sorry and I had a flight change and someone was trying to fix it for me.

Turns out the LHR>PHL (BA67) had changed to a 4:15 departure and it would make me miss my PHL flight. There were no other options besides an overnight in PHL.

I did a lot of communication with AA over twitter and in person once at the airport. They claim they never change the flight time and AA had just booked my ticket with a wrong time & and illegal connection.

When I arrived in PHL, AA said BA would need to take care of my hotel. BA said they didn't since AA booked the wrong ticket but finally caved. (they put me in a Clarion which was pretty dumpy, but whatever...) The BA rep told me the flight time had been changed Nov 19 (two days before I booked, and 14 days before the flight), but in LHR they kept telling my this flight had ALWAYS been a 4:15 departure.

Clearly BA changed the schedule but never told AA, or AA just failed to update their system and sold me an illegal ticket.

Do I have any chance at EC 261? I arrived over 12 hours late. The flight was not formally delayed, but a miss communicated schedule change less than 14 days out caused me to miss connect. BA operated the flight, I feel it should be on them, even though AA seems to have dropped the ball.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There is no relevant schedule change, cancellation or delay on the part of BA (operating carrier) so I fail to see how BA is liable for this/under EU reg. 261/04. If AA sold you an invalid ticket /with wrong timing, you need to take this up with AA. AA is not a community carrier and the itinerary is IST-to TPA so no relevant EU flights either. I doubt you will get anywhere with this, sorry.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
There is no relevant schedule change, cancellation or delay on the part of BA (operating carrier) so I fail to see how BA is liable for this/under EU reg. 261/04. If AA sold you an invalid ticket /with wrong timing, you need to take this up with AA. AA is not a community carrier and the itinerary is IST-to TPA so no relevant EU flights either. I doubt you will get anywhere with this, sorry.
Flying through EU isn't good enough? There WAS a schedule change made. How am I as a customer to know AA sold me a bad ticket, BA changed the schedule and it caused my issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.