DYKWIA | 2020 edition

Old Jan 1, 20, 2:13 am
  #1  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 20,184
Arrow DYKWIA | 2020 edition

This thread is a continuation of the ever popular DYKWIA | 2019 edition thread.

Airports are funny places. While they are increasingly designed to both complement and positively influence human behaviour, some of our fellow passengers do on occasion suffer a complete loss of composure and/or self awareness. This thread celebrates those amusing lapses of, well, lets call it social etiquette.

We also have a sister thread dedicated to our musings of the use of Executive Club baggage tags, fair or faux pas, which you can find here: BAEC luggage tags: practical utility or personal statement?
deboyzoned and Iamnotlost like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 1, 20 at 2:22 am
Prospero is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 4:11 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Surrey, UK
Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 478
I'll start us off.

It's more a case of advice needed as to who was the DYKWIA.

Boarding at Stockholm yesterday, and it was gate lice central. The flight was a little delayed so there was a bit of waiting around involved too. Rather large woman was stood nearest the boarding door, and certainly giving me the evil eye on more than a few occasions. I saw from her boarding pass she had group 1. Group 1 was called and I made my way forwards, letting her go first as I could see that she was entitled to actually be there.

She wasn't happy with this though and she was straight in there saying "THERES A QUEUE YOU KNOW".

(Reality was, it was a mess as opposed to any form of queue)

Now, what I should have said was something along the lines of, yes, but they have just called group 1 and I'm pretty sure this whole mass of people doesn't hold group 1 boarding.

What actually happened was I came across as a bit of an arse by saying, yes, I know, and I've been waiting here at the front a lot longer than the people who have just rolled up at the back.

Her response was "BUT THERES A QUEUE AND YOU'RE NOT IN IT"

I couldn't be bothered to converse any more with her. Group boarding wasn't enforced at all, as from seeing a few more boarding passes ahead of me, there was a few group 4's in there.
jwhite9185 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 4:26 am
  #3  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 16,726
Originally Posted by jwhite9185 View Post
Her response was "BUT THERES A QUEUE AND YOU'RE NOT IN IT"
Given where I live I have learnt to accept that some people's perception of reality is different from mine, and I've spent the last seven months humouring, ignoring or coping with them.
tmac100, wrp96, nancypants and 1 others like this.
percysmith is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 4:30 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 5,245
Originally Posted by jwhite9185 View Post
I'll start us off.

It's more a case of advice needed as to who was the DYKWIA.

Boarding at Stockholm yesterday, and it was gate lice central. The flight was a little delayed so there was a bit of waiting around involved too. Rather large woman was stood nearest the boarding door, and certainly giving me the evil eye on more than a few occasions. I saw from her boarding pass she had group 1. Group 1 was called and I made my way forwards, letting her go first as I could see that she was entitled to actually be there.

She wasn't happy with this though and she was straight in there saying "THERES A QUEUE YOU KNOW".

(Reality was, it was a mess as opposed to any form of queue)

Now, what I should have said was something along the lines of, yes, but they have just called group 1 and I'm pretty sure this whole mass of people doesn't hold group 1 boarding.

What actually happened was I came across as a bit of an arse by saying, yes, I know, and I've been waiting here at the front a lot longer than the people who have just rolled up at the back.

Her response was "BUT THERES A QUEUE AND YOU'RE NOT IN IT"

I couldn't be bothered to converse any more with her. Group boarding wasn't enforced at all, as from seeing a few more boarding passes ahead of me, there was a few group 4's in there.
Difficult one this, I guess it partly depends on whether the others present were in a 'queue' (her) or 'mess' (you) or where in between. In any event seems like she over-reacted. Good call letting it go imo.
wrp96 and Cymro like this.
Flexible preferences is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 4:38 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Citizen of EMEA
Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Marriott LTTitanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 427
Some of my favourite queuing etiquette:

1. A clear line of people standing is formed and others who have been sitting until boarding feel they are entitled to stand up and join the part of the queue closest to where they were sitting,
2. People already in the queue invite travel companions to join them and walk past others who were already standing in the queue (I have started to call people out on this)
wrp96 and Cotumely like this.
Saint4805 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 6:47 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London / Berlin
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by Saint4805 View Post
Some of my favourite queuing etiquette:

1. A clear line of people standing is formed and others who have been sitting until boarding feel they are entitled to stand up and join the part of the queue closest to where they were sitting
This set me thinking. Every now and again I will end up getting to the gate early and take a seat next to the barriers. Over time, a queue will form including people standing right in front of me. When my group is called I am one of those people who will just get up and present my documents.

I had always thought that this was reasonable as I have been waiting by the barriers just like the people who arrived later than me and chose to stand in a line, rather than taking one of the further away seats. But maybe I'm wrong. Have never thought of myself as a particularly DYKWIA type of a person, so if I've been behaving badly today feels like a good day for new resolutions.

Would welcome a judgment from the FT hive mind.
slicktony is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 7:12 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,732
Was boarding a 747 LAX to LHR just before Christmas
Waiting for the boarding announcement

They suddenly called group 1 and 2 together (why do they do this!)

There then followed a scrum

My other half had made it to the front , I was behind, I pushed my way forward to which I received an objection from someone that I was overtaking, obviously he was in group 1 or 2 ; I just pointed to my other half and said Im with him and kept my head down (sorry)
allturnleft is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 7:27 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Posts: 4,824
Originally Posted by slicktony View Post
I had always thought that this was reasonable as I have been waiting by the barriers just like the people who arrived later than me and chose to stand in a line, rather than taking one of the further away seats. But maybe I'm wrong. Have never thought of myself as a particularly DYKWIA type of a person, so if I've been behaving badly today feels like a good day for new resolutions.

Would welcome a judgment from the FT hive mind.
death is too good for you. Happy new year
lorcancoyle is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 8:04 am
  #9  
V10
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Provincie Antwerpen, Vlaanderen, België
Programs: MUCCI Gold
Posts: 2,501
Originally Posted by jwhite9185 View Post
I'll start us off.

It's more a case of advice needed as to who was the DYKWIA.

Boarding at Stockholm yesterday, and it was gate lice central. The flight was a little delayed so there was a bit of waiting around involved too. Rather large woman was stood nearest the boarding door, and certainly giving me the evil eye on more than a few occasions. I saw from her boarding pass she had group 1. Group 1 was called and I made my way forwards, letting her go first as I could see that she was entitled to actually be there.

She wasn't happy with this though and she was straight in there saying "THERES A QUEUE YOU KNOW".

(Reality was, it was a mess as opposed to any form of queue)

Now, what I should have said was something along the lines of, yes, but they have just called group 1 and I'm pretty sure this whole mass of people doesn't hold group 1 boarding.

What actually happened was I came across as a bit of an arse by saying, yes, I know, and I've been waiting here at the front a lot longer than the people who have just rolled up at the back.

Her response was "BUT THERES A QUEUE AND YOU'RE NOT IN IT"

I couldn't be bothered to converse any more with her. Group boarding wasn't enforced at all, as from seeing a few more boarding passes ahead of me, there was a few group 4's in there.
I'm a bit split here. Points lost right at the outset I'm afraid for using the condescending term "gate lice". There are also undoubtably other people (and I'm certainly not suggesting you're guilty of this) out there who feign ignorance of boarding queues where these aren't so well managed by the airport involved in order to get on earlier (hello, Brussels). The Lady concerned on the other hand also made far too much of it but certainly queue-jumping whether it's perceived correctly or not is one thing that annoys many. Some points won back again for not pushing it further.

Last edited by V10; Jan 1, 20 at 8:10 am
V10 is online now  
Old Jan 1, 20, 9:25 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Programs: Bonvoy Plat, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Posts: 417
Originally Posted by Saint4805 View Post
2. People already in the queue invite travel companions to join them and walk past others who were already standing in the queue (I have started to call people out on this)
Not sure I see the issue with this unless they are bringing a school bus full of kids forward. If it’s just a person or two I wouldn’t bat an eyelid as it’s pretty normal behaviour.
TGLoyalty is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 10:55 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Surrey, UK
Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by V10 View Post
Points lost right at the outset I'm afraid for using the condescending term "gate lice".
Wasn't my intention to appear condescending. I was under the impression it was a pretty common term for a mass of people crowding the gate area.
jwhite9185 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 11:05 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dundee
Programs: BA Plastic. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Posts: 1,059
Originally Posted by jwhite9185 View Post
Wasn't my intention to appear condescending. I was under the impression it was a pretty common term for a mass of people crowding the gate area.
I find “queue” more common.
thijsseh and MiraculousM like this.
BlueThroughCrimp is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 11:10 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,169
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp View Post
I find “queue” more common.
But if they are not in a queue, then the alternative term is most descriptive.
nancypants and etiene like this.
Steve in Olympia is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 11:22 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dundee
Programs: BA Plastic. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Posts: 1,059
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia View Post
But if they are not in a queue, then the alternative term is most descriptive.
Pejorative. Not descriptive.
BlueThroughCrimp is offline  
Old Jan 1, 20, 12:48 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 30,143
Disorganised ...
Herd/horde
Gaggle
Mass

Whichever, we know what ‘gate lice’ means ... opportunists.
T8191 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: