DYKWIA | 2020/21 edition

Old Dec 20, 2021, 2:11 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Next strode a family (dad, mom and two babies) who presented their four boarding passes. They were yelled at by the same by the attendant “You’re Group 3!” (as if they couldn’t read their boarding passes). The dad confidently mentioned that he’s Finnair Platinum (as printed on his boarding pass), to which the attendant realised her error, did an about turn, and immediately scanned their boarding passes to let them board.
We are almost exclusively leisure travellers, and only fly in the front of the plane occasionally. Our children are small, and for the past several years we've been in that early boarding group.

We had a delayed connecting flight into Toronto (sorry, not a BA scenario but this is the definitive thread), and arrived at our next flight's gate a couple of minutes after boarding had begun. We went straight to the "priority" sign, as this was one of the times we flew Business, and I noticed that everyone in the line -- queue for those of you not in Rio Linda -- was with small children. I asked the dad in front of us which group was boarding, and he responded with a reassuring tone, "they are boarding families with small children". I was about to ask, "but which boarding group are you?", but caught myself. There were only 3 or 4 families before us, and puling a DYKWIA stunt could have saved us a minute or two at most.

But it got me thinking. The dad had assumed, rather reasonably, that we were in the group who get to board early regardless of what is printed on our boarding passes. We are flying back tomorrow, from a vacation destination. In the past I've often seen our cohort jockeying for position or loitering near the front in anticipation for the call. I've seen many turned away because they were still boarding the important people. When we walk up tomorrow with Group 1, I am sure some might assume we are just another family with small children jumping the gun. How or what do I say without sounding like a DYKWIA, if someone questions our entitlement?

"Respect my prioritah!"

BAECAddict likes this.

Last edited by bambinomartino; Dec 20, 2021 at 2:25 am
Old Dec 20, 2021, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
We are almost exclusively leisure travellers, and only fly in the front of the plane occasionally. Our children are small, and for the past several years we've been in that early boarding group.

We had a delayed connecting flight into Toronto (sorry, not a BA scenario but this is the definitive thread), and arrived at our next flight's gate a couple of minutes after boarding had begun. We went straight to the "priority" sign, as this was one of the times we flew Business, and I noticed that everyone in the line -- queue for those of you not in Rio Linda -- was with small children. I asked the dad in front of us which group was boarding, and he responded with a reassuring tone, "they are boarding families with small children". I was about to ask, "but which boarding group are you?", but caught myself. There were only 3 or 4 families before us, and puling a DYKWIA stunt could have saved us a minute or two at most.

But it got me thinking. The dad had assumed, rather reasonably, that we were in the group who get to board early regardless of what is printed on our boarding passes. We are flying back tomorrow, from a vacation destination. In the past I've often seen our cohort jockeying for position or loitering near the front in anticipation for the call. I've seen many turned away because they were still boarding the important people. When we walk up tomorrow with Group 1, I am sure some might assume we are just another family with small children jumping the gun. How or what do I say without sounding like a DYKWIA, if someone questions our entitlement?

"Respect my prioritah!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2GfN9dw14I
Doesn't work like that I'm afraid. Whenever you get yourself worked up into an anticipatory state of offence, and prepare a brilliantly amusing retort in advance, you'll find you get treated like royalty!

It's only when you're caught off guard that it happens, leaving you gibbering like an idiot, nodding and accepting it!
antichef, mrow, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
It had to happen one day, and I had my first (?) Dykwia happening.

Was in row 3 AMS-BUD, fairly full J cabin (11/16).

Upon landing I was standing in the aisle unloading all my family's belongings as well as our gentle neighbour's.

Impatient economy guy had already passed curtain and was impatiently waiting in row 4 with zero social distancing. As soon as the doors opened, he looked at me and said "I'm sorry" and motioned to be let through.

I looked at him straight in the eye, said "I'm sorry too", and continued unloading my things like he wasn't there.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
It had to happen one day, and I had my first (?) Dykwia happening.

Was in row 3 AMS-BUD, fairly full J cabin (11/16).

Upon landing I was standing in the aisle unloading all my family's belongings as well as our gentle neighbour's.

Impatient economy guy had already passed curtain and was impatiently waiting in row 4 with zero social distancing. As soon as the doors opened, he looked at me and said "I'm sorry" and motioned to be let through.

I looked at him straight in the eye, said "I'm sorry too", and continued unloading my things like he wasn't there.
Just for absolute clarity, which person is supposed to be the DYKWIA in this story?
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
A true (fellow American) piece of work in the First lounge a couple weeks back waiting for a flight to LIS.

I took a seat toward the back of the terrace, in the last set of lounge chairs before the small bistro tables in the corner. Across from me was a nice man just minding his business. Behind me, at one of the tables, was an American man on his computer. About 3 meters away was a mother with a baby who was fussing a bit. The American man pretty much went off, and passive-aggressively started shouting to no on in particular, "Is there a nursery somewhere?" Just all around rude, entitled, and mean.

I had just walked into it, so didn't really know what I'd gotten myself into, but the man across from me called him out and told him to shut up, that she has just as much right to be in the lounge as he does (and, really, the terrace is the place where the fewest people would be disturbed). I wouldn't even call this man a DYKWIA. He was just a right @$$h0le. Started shouting back, "How dare you tell me that I have no rights! How dare you tell me that my rights are less than hers!" He even told the other guy to "Stop it with his sanctimonious BBC bulls--t."

Never minding the obvious logical flaws in his understanding of his "rights," and his ignorance of the fact that he is in a public space waiting to board public transportation, he came off as one of those people who is so insanely selfish and, in trying to sound sophisticated and smart, reveals themselves to be just unmannered, unlettered, and actually kind of stupid. A complete poser in the brains department.

I hope his flight got cancelled, that the baby was sat next to him on the plane, and that it vomited on his shirt.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Just for absolute clarity, which person is supposed to be the DYKWIA in this story?
Oh, totally me!
sl1ppy, Scots_Al and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 5:00 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by DMPHL
A true (fellow American) piece of work in the First lounge a couple weeks back waiting for a flight to LIS.

I took a seat toward the back of the terrace, in the last set of lounge chairs before the small bistro tables in the corner. Across from me was a nice man just minding his business. Behind me, at one of the tables, was an American man on his computer. About 3 meters away was a mother with a baby who was fussing a bit. The American man pretty much went off, and passive-aggressively started shouting to no on in particular, "Is there a nursery somewhere?" Just all around rude, entitled, and mean.

I had just walked into it, so didn't really know what I'd gotten myself into, but the man across from me called him out and told him to shut up, that she has just as much right to be in the lounge as he does (and, really, the terrace is the place where the fewest people would be disturbed). I wouldn't even call this man a DYKWIA. He was just a right @$$h0le. Started shouting back, "How dare you tell me that I have no rights! How dare you tell me that my rights are less than hers!" He even told the other guy to "Stop it with his sanctimonious BBC bulls--t."

Never minding the obvious logical flaws in his understanding of his "rights," and his ignorance of the fact that he is in a public space waiting to board public transportation, he came off as one of those people who is so insanely selfish and, in trying to sound sophisticated and smart, reveals themselves to be just unmannered, unlettered, and actually kind of stupid. A complete poser in the brains department.

I hope his flight got cancelled, that the baby was sat next to him on the plane, and that it vomited on his shirt.
Sounds like an idiot, but appreciate that if a child is screaming, their parents try to take them somewhere more private where possible.

If the child is unable to be controlled then they shouldn’t be flying if it causes the disruption of other passengers.

It’s not a DYKWIA with me. Just completely does my head in when kids are screaming or just being generally annoying.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by esledo
No, as for time being Finnair boards from front to back, i.e. short-haul business class is in group 4. Status members are assigned groups according to their seat row.

It is a different story if gate agents call C class and priority members to board first or at their leisure, as apparently was the case in BER.
Yes I've flown a few AY short hauls in C and was always in the last boarding group- and it was enforced, certainly in LHR and HEL
Old Dec 26, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by JackDann
Sounds like an idiot, but appreciate that if a child is screaming, their parents try to take them somewhere more private where possible.

If the child is unable to be controlled then they shouldn’t be flying if it causes the disruption of other passengers.

It’s not a DYKWIA with me. Just completely does my head in when kids are screaming or just being generally annoying.
Babies cry. Kids get restless. You're on public transport.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 6:36 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JackDann

netjets.com
Old Dec 26, 2021, 6:53 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Babies cry. Kids get restless. You're on public transport.
People are allowed to find kids irritating. Some people get upset by a poor selection of champagne. I personally dislike screaming and annoying children. Personal opinion.

If they are quiet and well behaved it’s all good, but if you’ve got a child that likes to run about and scream then you should have to travel by boat or something.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 7:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

It’s a well known fact (made up by me) that parents cannot hear their own kids.

It’s good job dogs aren’t allowed into lounges… or you’d have them barking as well.
Shingi, wrp96, krispy84 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Kids usually have good reason to be loud...adults behaving like kids do not.
thejohn likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Since becoming a parent I find children crying a lot less bothersome. Usually feel for the parents, in fact.

This sympathy varnishes and turns into annoyance (at the parent) if the parent is doing absolutely nothing to try and calm the situation. Sometimes kids are just total bams and nothing works, but as long as they try it's all you can ask.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It’s a well known fact (made up by me) that parents cannot hear their own kids.

It’s good job dogs aren’t allowed into lounges… or you’d have them barking as well.
Dogs are allowed into the lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.