DYKWIA | 2020/21 edition

Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by u01sss3
That seems to suggest you can only visit one country and one location.
Unless there's another caveat his jet-setting surely wouldn't qualify.
I think he's been roasted enough. I want some new stories now.

Last edited by PGberkshire; Sep 30, 2020 at 5:11 am
Old Sep 30, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott GFL
Can we please get back to the topic?

LcS
alex67500, aidy and DelTroon like this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 4:58 am

YAWN.

Back to DKYWIA now??
Old Sep 30, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
DYKWTTI ?

Do You Know What Thread This Is ?
krispy84 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
If we have nothing worthy of this thread by next Thursday, I'm prepared to take one for the team and do some entitled flouncing around T5, before heading off to BLQ for the weekend.
Shingi, CallBell, Scots_Al and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
If we have nothing worthy of this thread by next Thursday, I'm prepared to take one for the team and do some entitled flouncing around T5, before heading off to BLQ for the weekend.
Careful your behaviour doesn't fall foul of the new BAEC rules and they strip you off Avios and Status
krispy84 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:39 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Nick Art
While not a traditional DYKWIA I have this story from a few years ago. I didn't deem it good enough back then, but as we seem to have a bit if a dry time I hope it'll be good enough:

I was returning from Marrakech and at the airport I met the parents of a friends friend of mine. Now at the time Marrakech airport was a bit of a mess regarding Lounges and Fast Track as you'd need a voucher from the check-in and they only gave them out if you asked and even then it was a gamble.

Since I know Marrakech a bit as I pass through it often enough I started to explain the process to those two while we were waiting in line for the check-in to open.
My explanation was met with a quite abrupt "I know, I travel a few hundred thousand miles per year." from the guy. (It was his first time in Marrakech I later found out).

Despite my urge to not tell them that they were in the wrong check-in line (I was flying to Geneva with Swiss, they were flying to Zurich direct with Edelweiss, a Swiss subsidiary, and despite that the flights always use different check-in desks), I did, which was met with a "I know what I'm doing. This is the right line." They stood their ground and when coming to the desk after me, after some arguing, they were sent away to the other business desk at which a huge line had formed by now.
Telling them: "I told you so." just didn't feel quite fitting then. Ah regrets...

Later in the terminal I was sitting in the lounge enjoying a drink when both of them arrived. I greeted them and told them that it's great they were let in as it's always a bit of a gamble here to which the guy replied with a pretentious smile: "I have all the cards to get in anywhere. Boy, why did they let you in?" while showing me his wallet with a Priority Pass, a few golden credit cards and one very high status card.

I really wish I had a better response than literally just telling them I had status and was flying J... Suggestions for next time are very welcome.

It's just the cheesy way he said it that made everyone around know how highly he thought of himself, in the sense of DYKWIA.
I mean I did share a DYKWIA story yesterday trying to get back on track, but it got burried in this other discussion...
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
I mean I did share a DYKWIA story yesterday trying to get back on track, but it got burried in this other discussion...
Sounds like your companions deserved the extra queue for not listening to good advice.
antichef likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
I expect demanding access to the First Wing and having first class in place of CE on your flight.

that will get some heads turning 😁
DelTroon likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 9:07 am

Demand that the Concorde Room is opened just for you!
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Well Ill share my own (unwitting) DYKWIA experience then...

Arrived a wee bit early for a flight from LIN, had a bag to check so went to do so...

Only one desk open​​​​​, ​​longish economy queue, but a clearly-signed priority entrance too (with no-one in it). I walked straight into the priority bit... as I stood waiting I had several people from the economy queue shout over that they had been waiting for ages etc. I replied that this was the priority queue. When the person in front moved, I politely, but loudly asked the check in person (before stepping up) if the priority line was in operation, to which I got a yes....

Stepped up feeling righteous (and the daggers in my back), handed over my passport, put my bag on the scales... only to be told that they can only check bags in 2 hours in advance and I needed to come back in 20 minutes!

I reclaimed my bag and sloped off without a glance behind me!!!
VSLover, Shingi, CallBell and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Well Ill share my own (unwitting) DYKWIA experience then...

Arrived a wee bit early for a flight from LIN, had a bag to check so went to do so...

Only one desk open​​​​​, ​​longish economy queue, but a clearly-signed priority entrance too (with no-one in it). I walked straight into the priority bit... as I stood waiting I had several people from the economy queue shout over that they had been waiting for ages etc. I replied that this was the priority queue. When the person in front moved, I politely, but loudly asked the check in person (before stepping up) if the priority line was in operation, to which I got a yes....

Stepped up feeling righteous (and the daggers in my back), handed over my passport, put my bag on the scales... only to be told that they can only check bags in 2 hours in advance and I needed to come back in 20 minutes!

I reclaimed my bag and sloped off without a glance behind me!!!
Id say fairly acceptable none diva behaviour. shame about timings
Old Sep 30, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Id say fairly acceptable none diva behaviour. shame about timings
haha - oh I was in the right, but Im sure I would have been a DYKWIA getting his comeuppance to those who heckled me!
ENTP likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by DelTroon
Demand that the Concorde Room is opened just for you!
Or even demand that Concorde itself is brought back into service!
alex67500 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
haha - oh I was in the right, but Im sure I would have been a DYKWIA getting his comeuppance to those who heckled me!
Good thing you didn't look back
Scots_Al likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.