Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebs on BA | 2020/21 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by hartwith
Was it just me who had to google who Saoirse Ronan was?
Nope - that’s why I didn’t recognise her. But she’s done some amazing films.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AJA_
I still have no idea except I can't be bothered to Google her name to find out.
Well, in fairness, she is an Irish/American actress who, by the age of 25 has been nominated for not one, not two, but three Academy Awards (Oscars) and 5 British Academy Film Awards. I'm not particularly "star struck" but relative to others that get mentioned in this thread I'd say she is as worthy as any of mention. She has played a key role in several critically acclaimed films (again, at a rather young age)

And for future reference, it's doesn't take much "bother" to search Google to find out who someone is. I always find it a bit comical that people who sit around liquored up in their underwear, wasting countless hours on Flyertalk, can't be "bothered" to simply highlight a name and right click "Search <....whatever you've highlighted>" and voila the result will pop up. As a percentage of time you may likely waste on FT, I suspect that level of "bother" won't even be noticeable.

Regards
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by AJA_
I still have no idea except I can't be bothered to Google her name to find out.
Don't feel bad Last year there was a posting in this thread about a sighting of a priest from Houston (Cardinal or Bishop?). The world truly is going mad if that's a celebrity.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Don't feel bad Last year there was a posting in this thread about a sighting of a priest from Houston (Cardinal or Bishop?). The world truly is going mad if that's a celebrity.
Indeed, that would almost be the same, except, that, well, by just about any definition of the word "celebrity" Saoirse Ronan actually is one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saoirse_Ronan

Regards
cosmo74 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:21 pm

I'm sure she would be delighted with being labeled Irish/American too....
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
Originally Posted by Dubh
She was born in New York and grew up in Dublin. It seems fair to call her Irish American.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, in fairness, she is an Irish/American actress who, by the age of 25 has been nominated for not one, not two, but three Academy Awards (Oscars) and 5 British Academy Film Awards. I'm not particularly "star struck" but relative to others that get mentioned in this thread I'd say she is as worthy as any of mention. She has played a key role in several critically acclaimed films (again, at a rather young age)

And for future reference, it's doesn't take much "bother" to search Google to find out who someone is. I always find it a bit comical that people who sit around liquored up in their underwear, wasting countless hours on Flyertalk, can't be "bothered" to simply highlight a name and right click "Search <....whatever you've highlighted>" and voila the result will pop up. As a percentage of time you may likely waste on FT, I suspect that level of "bother" won't even be noticeable.

Regards
Replied to other post.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:34 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Jonathan2712
She was born in New York and grew up in Dublin. It seems fair to call her Irish American.
My son was born in America and moved back to Ireland at 3, same as the actress. He considers himself 100% Irish and would be appalled to be labelled as Irish American, as would I as his father. OT but there you go.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I always find it a bit comical that people who sit around liquored up in their underwear, wasting countless hours on Flyertalk.....
That conjures an alarming image of fellow FTers

But it's one that could earn you a hairbrush slap if a Certain Young Lady strays into this thread.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Dubh
Originally Posted by stevie
My son was born in America and moved back to Ireland at 3, same as the actress. He considers himself 100% Irish and would be appalled to be labelled as Irish American, as would I as his father. OT but there you go.
Again, always fascinating that people here have countless hours to waste on FT, but can't be bothered to spend a couple moments reviewing a source that was literally provided in my post before popping off.

From the source, and I quote:
"Ronan holds dual Irish and American citizenship. She has said, "I don't know where I am from. I am just Irish", and also identifies as a New Yorker."

So it's not me "labeling" her as Irish/American, but rather she seems to label herself Irish/American.

But thanks for playing. I think we've squeezed all we can out of this "celebrity sighting" so I'll move along.

Regards
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:20 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Lord Mandelson in JFK CCR last night, being rather indiscreet on his telephone conversation
One indiscretion deserves another 😁 Was it current politics related? Mandy does love a gossip!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient

Regards
You misunderstand. I am not saying she's not worth googling. It's just I am not interested enough in her to bother. But thanks for enlightening me on who she is :-)
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
One indiscretion deserves another 😁 Was it current politics related? Mandy does love a gossip!
I would not post snippets from his conversation here. I have higher integrity than that
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Jonathan2712
Yes I would agree that's fair, depending on how long she was in New York and what nationality her family was (bear in mind, I know absolutely zero about this particular celebrity).

I was born in Australia, to an English mother and an Irish father, spent most of my life in the UK and now live in Austria and work in Germany. What nationality am I? I call myself British.

Nationality is more fluid, these days, than it used to be. "Irish American" seems fair in the case of this actress.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
....I always find it a bit comical that people who sit around liquored up in their underwear, wasting countless hours on Flyertalk....
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That conjures an alarming image of fellow FTers.
OT, but the Finns have a special word for that sort of behaviour - KALSARIKÄNNIT.
Helsinki is the ideal place for a Flyertalk mini-do!
Gastrocnemius and Fontana like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.