Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

Celebs on BA | 2020/21 edition

Celebs on BA | 2020/21 edition

Old Jan 16, 20, 5:18 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by hartwith View Post
Was it just me who had to google who Saoirse Ronan was?
Nope - that’s why I didn’t recognise her. But she’s done some amazing films.
Middleofthebus is offline  
Old Jan 16, 20, 6:05 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PPro, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Posts: 5,848
Originally Posted by AJA_ View Post
I still have no idea except I can't be bothered to Google her name to find out.
Well, in fairness, she is an Irish/American actress who, by the age of 25 has been nominated for not one, not two, but three Academy Awards (Oscars) and 5 British Academy Film Awards. I'm not particularly "star struck" but relative to others that get mentioned in this thread I'd say she is as worthy as any of mention. She has played a key role in several critically acclaimed films (again, at a rather young age)

And for future reference, it's doesn't take much "bother" to search Google to find out who someone is. I always find it a bit comical that people who sit around liquored up in their underwear, wasting countless hours on Flyertalk, can't be "bothered" to simply highlight a name and right click "Search <....whatever you've highlighted>" and voila the result will pop up. As a percentage of time you may likely waste on FT, I suspect that level of "bother" won't even be noticeable.

Regards
scubadu is offline  
Old Jan 16, 20, 6:09 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,650
Originally Posted by AJA_ View Post
I still have no idea except I can't be bothered to Google her name to find out.
Don't feel bad Last year there was a posting in this thread about a sighting of a priest from Houston (Cardinal or Bishop?). The world truly is going mad if that's a celebrity.
worldtrav is offline  
Old Jan 16, 20, 6:15 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PPro, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Posts: 5,848
Originally Posted by worldtrav View Post
Don't feel bad Last year there was a posting in this thread about a sighting of a priest from Houston (Cardinal or Bishop?). The world truly is going mad if that's a celebrity.
Indeed, that would almost be the same, except, that, well, by just about any definition of the word "celebrity" Saoirse Ronan actually is one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saoirse_Ronan

Regards
cosmo74 likes this.
scubadu is offline  
Old Jan 16, 20, 11:21 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 540
I'm sure she would be delighted with being labeled Irish/American too....
Dubh is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 1:25 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DUBLIN & LCY
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
Posts: 120
Originally Posted by Dubh View Post
I'm sure she would be delighted with being labeled Irish/American too....
She was born in New York and grew up in Dublin. It seems fair to call her Irish American.
Jonathan2712 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 3:31 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: BA GOLD, LF HH Diamond, IHG Plat/AMB
Posts: 2,387
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Well, in fairness, she is an Irish/American actress who, by the age of 25 has been nominated for not one, not two, but three Academy Awards (Oscars) and 5 British Academy Film Awards. I'm not particularly "star struck" but relative to others that get mentioned in this thread I'd say she is as worthy as any of mention. She has played a key role in several critically acclaimed films (again, at a rather young age)

And for future reference, it's doesn't take much "bother" to search Google to find out who someone is. I always find it a bit comical that people who sit around liquored up in their underwear, wasting countless hours on Flyertalk, can't be "bothered" to simply highlight a name and right click "Search <....whatever you've highlighted>" and voila the result will pop up. As a percentage of time you may likely waste on FT, I suspect that level of "bother" won't even be noticeable.

Regards
Replied to other post.
stevie is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 3:34 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: BA GOLD, LF HH Diamond, IHG Plat/AMB
Posts: 2,387
Originally Posted by Jonathan2712 View Post
She was born in New York and grew up in Dublin. It seems fair to call her Irish American.
My son was born in America and moved back to Ireland at 3, same as the actress. He considers himself 100% Irish and would be appalled to be labelled as Irish American, as would I as his father. OT but there you go.
stevie is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 4:20 am
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Posts: 15,716
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
I always find it a bit comical that people who sit around liquored up in their underwear, wasting countless hours on Flyertalk.....
That conjures an alarming image of fellow FTers


But it's one that could earn you a hairbrush slap if a Certain Young Lady strays into this thread.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 7:08 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PPro, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Posts: 5,848
Originally Posted by Dubh View Post
I'm sure she would be delighted with being labeled Irish/American too....
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
My son was born in America and moved back to Ireland at 3, same as the actress. He considers himself 100% Irish and would be appalled to be labelled as Irish American, as would I as his father. OT but there you go.
Again, always fascinating that people here have countless hours to waste on FT, but can't be bothered to spend a couple moments reviewing a source that was literally provided in my post before popping off.

From the source, and I quote:
"Ronan holds dual Irish and American citizenship. She has said, "I don't know where I am from. I am just Irish", and also identifies as a New Yorker."

So it's not me "labeling" her as Irish/American, but rather she seems to label herself Irish/American.

But thanks for playing. I think we've squeezed all we can out of this "celebrity sighting" so I'll move along.

Regards
scubadu is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 7:20 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK - South Coast & London
Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Posts: 2,263
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
Lord Mandelson in JFK CCR last night, being rather indiscreet on his telephone conversation
One indiscretion deserves another 😁 Was it current politics related? Mandy does love a gossip!
krispy84 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 7:51 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: BAEC Silver, Mucci recipient
Posts: 1,422
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Well, in fairness, she is an Irish/American actress who, by the age of 25 has been nominated for not one, not two, but three Academy Awards (Oscars) and 5 British Academy Film Awards. I'm not particularly "star struck" but relative to others that get mentioned in this thread I'd say she is as worthy as any of mention. She has played a key role in several critically acclaimed films (again, at a rather young age)

And for future reference, it's doesn't take much "bother" to search Google to find out who someone is. I always find it a bit comical that people who sit around liquored up in their underwear, wasting countless hours on Flyertalk, can't be "bothered" to simply highlight a name and right click "Search <....whatever you've highlighted>" and voila the result will pop up. As a percentage of time you may likely waste on FT, I suspect that level of "bother" won't even be noticeable.

Regards
You misunderstand. I am not saying she's not worth googling. It's just I am not interested enough in her to bother. But thanks for enlightening me on who she is :-)
AJA_ is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 10:36 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,464
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
One indiscretion deserves another 😁 Was it current politics related? Mandy does love a gossip!
I would not post snippets from his conversation here. I have higher integrity than that
rossmacd is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:21 am
  #29  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bregenz, Austria
Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 2,950
Originally Posted by Jonathan2712 View Post
She was born in New York and grew up in Dublin. It seems fair to call her Irish American.
Yes I would agree that's fair, depending on how long she was in New York and what nationality her family was (bear in mind, I know absolutely zero about this particular celebrity).

I was born in Australia, to an English mother and an Irish father, spent most of my life in the UK and now live in Austria and work in Germany. What nationality am I? I call myself British.

Nationality is more fluid, these days, than it used to be. "Irish American" seems fair in the case of this actress.
The_Bouncer is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 11:37 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 947
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
....I always find it a bit comical that people who sit around liquored up in their underwear, wasting countless hours on Flyertalk....
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
That conjures an alarming image of fellow FTers.
OT, but the Finns have a special word for that sort of behaviour - KALSARIKÄNNIT.
Helsinki is the ideal place for a Flyertalk mini-do!
Gastrocnemius and Fontana like this.
WickedStepMother is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread