How many miles have you flown in 2019?

Old Jan 1, 20, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fransknorge View Post
Total number of flights: 58

Most memorable travel experience: Jerusalem for sure. Seeing those mythical and historical place was priceless, plus the friendliness of the people.
Fully agree. I went in 2018 and loved it, the people and the food. Iím planning to go back to there and the West Bank to see more.

T
fransknorge likes this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by toothy View Post
Fully agree. I went in 2018 and loved it, the people and the food. Iím planning to go back to there and the West Bank to see more.

T
Was a highlight for me too in 2019 puts all the worlds religions in to context
toothy and fransknorge like this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond

47466 miles in 34 segments, of which 15 were on BA, 11 on IB, 4 on AA, and the rest on a motley crew of others.

Last edited by Mordac; Jan 1, 20 at 9:33 am
Old Jan 1, 20, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Iím not suggesting that the thread is closed. All credit to you for posting but, for me, things have moved on since we joined flyertalk and this thread doesnít rest easy with me - thatís all.

Have a safe and prosperous New Year.
I have to agree with Palmer on this one. I enjoy the BAEC forum because I love flying, but threads like this and the mileage run deals thread sit increasingly uncomfortably with me. Iíd be interested to know how many people offset their travel, and the proportion of flights that were actually necessary.

I donít believe everyone must stop every action that brings pleasure (including travel), but I do believe there is a social responsibility that comes with large amounts of travel, and that this forum can increasingly seem out of step with legitimate environmental concerns.
Palmer and allturnleft like this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Jersey’s Government is quite enthusiastic about environmental issues. However, as a largely agrarian island with a population of 110,000 I doubt anything done here would affect anything globally. Yes, I know every little helps, but there are other countries doing massive damage ... and when they start doing something I might see light at the end of the tunnel.

Personally, I/we will continue to fly for leisure. At our age it’s pretty much all that’s left for us.

OMNI territory, I know, but I had to say it.
Old Jan 1, 20, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Jerseyís Government is quite enthusiastic about environmental issues. However, as a largely agrarian island with a population of 110,000 I doubt anything done here would affect anything globally. Yes, I know every little helps, but there are other countries doing massive damage ... and when they start doing something I might see light at the end of the tunnel.

Personally, I/we will continue to fly for leisure. At our age itís pretty much all thatís left for us.

OMNI territory, I know, but I had to say it.
It is interesting to look at the table of CO2 emissions per capita, as it throws up some surprising results. We hear a lot about India and Chinaís emissions, which undoubtedly are huge, but per capita they remain significantly below those of the USA (figures up to 2018). Waiting for others to act may be tempting, but is essentially burying your head in the sand until the flood hits, rather than acting as a warning for impending flood.
The scale of the problem is such that there may be perceived little impact of our own individual efforts, but cumulatively they are effective, and shape a society into new norms. It is only with shifting values that corporates such as easyJet and BA start to offset their business and money is put into green technology and research and development. I think the key to getting buy in for climate advice is a bit like alcohol, one of living in moderation and being aware. Youíre never going to get people to stop drinking (or travelling), but there are ways to do both in a less damaging manner.

My apologies, a somewhat wordy way of saying donít underestimate your own contribution (both positive and negative) and the time to act is now.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Accepted, although the per capitais perhaps slightly specious. Nations make the problem, not individuals, although of course they’re a factor.

Anyway ... let’s move on. You can have a lift in my all-electric car, powered by nuclear volts from France!
Shuttle_Endeavour likes this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I'm interested in knowing why you think ''things have moved on''? I don't think the forum has changed much since I found it.
Not the forum. I was referring to the impact that flying has on the environment and our knowledge and responsibility towards that.

Palmer
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
273k butt in seat miles. Lowest mileage for me since I started tracking it in 2010. This was a conscious decision, partly due to reducing work travel commitments and partly due to deciding the extra mileage to retain CCR card simply isn't worth it. I will keep GGL proactively though, as the partner cards and jokers really make BAEC usable for me.

173k in J. 85% work trips. All except 6 segments with BA (AA and EI the others)

no new carriers

new airports JTR - nice arrivals, awful departures
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:23 am

Programs: BA silver
A very quiet year, with perhaps the lowest miles flown in about a decade due to personal and company circumstances. I don't expect it to substantially increase next year either.

61,410 miles in 21 sectors, BNE was the most visited airport and CX had most of my business by miles flown (30k). 60% of my flown miles were in economy.

One new airport, LST for Launceston in Tasmania, currently on a beach holiday in the Bay of Fires.

Old Jan 2, 20, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
268,780 miles 432,559 km
513 hours (take off to landing)
93 flights
16 airlines
31 airports
19 countries

A quite busy year, I have little idea what is in store for 2020, probably about same same. Though currently I have only two flights booked.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jan 2, 20 at 4:04 am
Old Jan 2, 20, 3:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, AS

2019 flight map

That was a lot of flying for me. I think next year will be less.
  • 53 flights
  • 159,954 miles
Highlights
  • Flew Cathay’s A350 refreshed biz product. Loved the seats and foot space as well as the Cathay burger
  • First flight on Emirates A380 upstairs in biz bling class
  • Flew Singapore Airlines A350 regional biz from SIN to KUL
  • Got a few BA 747 upstairs flights
  • Got to visit some amazing places
Lowlights
  • Took ~40 hours to get from Seattle to Hyderabad due to BA IRROPs
  • As part of the above flew domestic Air India in economy on a 10 yr old Airbus. Seats had close to zero padding, like they had never been refurbished

As I’m US based I give to the National Forest Foundation and donated to plant 1000 trees. This year I will increase to 1500.
Old Jan 2, 20, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Spire, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
102,330 miles, 50 flights in 2019

36 airports
17 airlines
15 countries
flights mostly centred around Asia pacific this year.

Highlights: Quite simply the best service I ever received on BA during the christmas day flight to AUS, made me proud to be British
Q suites from SYD-DOH is a pretty good way to travel for 16 hours.
Cathay pro-activeness when dealing with typhoon related delays this summer, still my favourite airline.

Lowlights: Domestic flying around China, arbitrary security measures etc.
more specifically Shandong airlines making an hour flight feel about 4 hours with it's dreariness.
Landing into MSP at 11pm in March to find it was -20c outside and Hertz didn't have a car for me.

New airports BNA,DSM,ICT,QRO,PQQ,CKG,MIG,SZX,TAO
Old Jan 2, 20, 4:58 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
While I have no problem with the innocent "willy waving" going on in this thread (I find the stats entertaining and the introspections/highlights/lowlights interesting) neither does it make me uncomfortable (some people might do more for the climate crisis while travelling, how many people here still eat red meat on a near daily basis, buy mass produced clothes and other products, shun public transports, etc ...), this does make me uncomfortable (emphasis mine):

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere View Post
102,330 miles, 50 flights in 2019

36 airports
17 airlines
15 countries
flights mostly centred around Asia pacific this year.

Highlights: Quite simply the best service I ever received on BA during the christmas day flight to AUS, made me proud to be British
Q suites from SYD-DOH is a pretty good way to travel for 16 hours.
Cathay pro-activeness when dealing with typhoon related delays this summer, still my favourite airline.

Lowlights: Domestic flying around China, arbitrary security measures etc.
more specifically Shandong airlines making an hour flight feel about 4 hours with it's dreariness.
Landing into MSP at 11pm in March to find it was -20c outside and Hertz didn't have a car for me.

New airports BNA,DSM,ICT,QRO,PQQ,CKG,MIG,SZX,TAO
What does your patriotism has to do with the service provided by a company ?
Old Jan 2, 20, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
129,893 miles on 57 flights of which 18 were BA and 16 were AA.

New airports - Lima, Cusco, Juliaca, Tirana, Hermosillo, Minsk, Cincinnati, MSP, RDU.

New carriers - Belavia, Air Serbia, Etihad, Iberia

Search this Thread
Search Engine: