Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Delay causing tight connection and VAT refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Can’t find anything online about this so hoping the knowledge of this forum can help.

I’m currently waiting to take off on a delayed BA1305 ABZ-LHR which currently would give me 50 mins to takeoff on an on time international departure when it arrives in LHR. I am sure I will be able to make the flight and if it is very tight Heathrow will help facilitate me making the flight, but I was hoping to process a VAT refund to the tune of around £1,300. What are the chances if Heathrow put connection help on, that they would allow me to go via travelex to process the refund?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
My experience it can take up to 90 minutes at times waiting in line for VAT refunds at LHR. I’d say you might be a bit optimistic... but you can always try your luck. Moreover, long haul destinations often board between 40-60 minutes before scheduled departure
jamesreid978 and orbitmic like this.

Last edited by dadig; Dec 30, 2019 at 3:04 am
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's BA that will be helping you with a tight connection.

Their aim will be to get you on your way ASAP. You getting a VAT refund is not their concern.

If they have rebooked you onto a later international departure then your time is your own.
jamesreid978, orbitmic and Often1 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:08 am

I think you were pushing it with an on time arrival for that connection. VAT refunds can take quite a while. I don't see BA helping out with this one.

It seems the best option is to hope for further delay and so rebooking by BA.
jamesreid978 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Isn’t there an envelope you can use to mail the forms in to have it processed by the back office? Or did I imagine that?
jamesreid978 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
Can’t find anything online about this so hoping the knowledge of this forum can help.

I’m currently waiting to take off on a delayed BA1305 ABZ-LHR which currently would give me 50 mins to takeoff on an on time international departure when it arrives in LHR. I am sure I will be able to make the flight and if it is very tight Heathrow will help facilitate me making the flight, but I was hoping to process a VAT refund to the tune of around £1,300. What are the chances if Heathrow put connection help on, that they would allow me to go via travelex to process the refund?
I’m not sure which terminal is your international connection from. ABZ will drop you at the T5 domestic arrivals. If your connection from T5 then you don’t need to go through security which is a good news. Gate is going to be close at 20 min before departure so if you arrive 50 min then I would say you will have about 10-15 min max to deal with VAT.
if your connection is from any other terminal then (ie: T3 or T4) then you won’t have any time as you have to go through security plus an airside bus transfer.
jamesreid978 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response everyone. Landed now, but still on plane. It’s a T5 connection but C gates. I’ve done a VAT refund at T5 before and it only took a couple minutes. There is a post option, but that is for getting the money into a bank card, the goods still have to be inspected to make sure. I’m not expecting BA to do anything, was just wandering if Heathrow connections would allow me to still try get the VAT refund processed if they did a meet thing.

the good news is, I have refreshed my app and my seat is changed, so looking positive for an upgrade. Won’t count my chickens till I am on the plane.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:21 am
Original Poster

On the plane, with the money and an upgraded seat. Just a wetter t-shirt.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:47 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
On the plane, with the money and an upgraded seat. Just a wetter t-shirt.
You should have bought a lottery ticket at the same time
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
You should have bought a lottery ticket at the same time
you’re not wrong there, further on board upgrade due to faulty IFE...
windowontheAside and TTmex like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
you’re not wrong there, further on board upgrade due to faulty IFE...
Nice one ... you still have time to buy that lottery ticket on the app 😊👍
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.