Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Which airline to book through? Benefits or no difference?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; BA Gold

I’m pricing up an ex-EU hop across the Atlantic and the best option is coming up as all segments on American metal (though some have BA code share). Google Flights says I have to call BA to book as can’t do it online (presumably because some segments don’t have BA code share).

It'll cost me £35 to book by phone I think. But then I wonder - should I just book it on AA website? In general is there any benefit or negative to booking through an airline site other than BA (which is my loyalty program)?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Last edited by ConsultanSea; Dec 29, 2019 at 4:43 am
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'd just book through AA (remembering to add in your BA number) as you're going to have to manage the flight (seats / check-in etc) via the AA app / website anyway.

Will be easier to deal with AA if there are any schedule changes etc
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
If your flights have an AA number as opposed to a BA code then you will receive fewer Avios.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
You'll get a higher cabin bonus on BA prefixed flights so if you want the Avios it's worth calling BA up. I've also generally found that when I've said "I tried to do this online but I can't" that the service fee gets waived if the agent knows that it's something that's not possible.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joeykins
You'll get a higher cabin bonus on BA prefixed flights so if you want the Avios it's worth calling BA up. I've also generally found that when I've said "I tried to do this online but I can't" that the service fee gets waived if the agent knows that it's something that's not possible.
Good points (and the others above too). Also I may part pay with Avios (poor value I know) which I imagine is only possible booking via BA...
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by ConsultanSea
Good points (and the others above too). Also I may part pay with Avios (poor value I know) which I imagine is only possible booking via BA...

My understanding that part pay with Avios is only available online. Am happy to be corrected there though.

EDIT: Just checked the T&Cs and I was wrong https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ditions-of-use

Avios can be used to pay for bookings made on Ba.com or by calling a British Airways Contact Centre.
ConsultanSea likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
I would also give it a go trying to price it from scratch on BA.com rather than through Google flights (using multi-city if needed).

The only other difference I can think of is that if booking into the code share in classes J, C, D, W, Y then you would be eligible for Upgrade Using Avios which you would not be booking through AA.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by lcylocal

The only other difference I can think of is that if booking into the code share in classes J, C, D, W, Y then you would be eligible for Upgrade Using Avios which you would not be booking through AA.
It is not possible to upgrade codeshare flights with Avios.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:36 am
Suspended

Don’t forget you won’t get EC261 benefits if the US-EU flight is AA metal.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by richardwft
Don’t forget you won’t get EC261 benefits if the US-EU flight is AA metal.
I personally don't factor that into my decision making.

The % of flights that are delayed / cancelled enough to come under EU261 is actually very small in the scheme of things.

I factor things such as seat comfort and flight schedule as more important than the possibility of EU261 if I do get delayed.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
This can go either way.

Pros of booking through AA:
  • Online booking possible
  • If there are equipment changes between now and the flight you will be allowed to change that flights without charge (within reason, suggest you look it up elsewhere in the BA board)
Pros of booking through BA:
  • You get more avios for the same flight at no extra cost
The ability to manage your booking on AA.com/the AA app exist regardless. If you decide to book with BA, just login to BA.com/MMB and try to change your seat for one of the AA operated codeshares. you'll be sent to a "Data Transfer consent page" that will include your AA locator in bold in the lower left part of the screen. Copy that code, close the Ba.com browser window, then go to AA.com and use the AA booking code you just copied to access your booking.
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. Given this is personal travel I will likely be booking into economy. Is there a difference in how I’m treated for hand baggage only fares booking BA (on AA metal) vs AA direct. I think I read somewhere there was?

In the same vein - restrictions on upgrade with Avios I guess is key as wont be possible if AA booked.

Sorry if this is basic
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I have used BA sales EU-JFK where one could use the AA nonstop at a fare considerably cheaper than on AA.com
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Pros of booking through BA:
  • You get more avios for the same flight at no extra cost
It also will count as an eligible flight for tier status, if you need one.
alexwuk likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Another potential pro of booking through BA is that in the event of needing original routing credit due to IRROPS etc, it’s easier when BA issues the ticket and is the marketing carrier for at least some of the flights on an all-AA metal itinerary.

I think the EC261 point is a fair one in general, and worth considering, but not relevant for the OP, since the itinerary appears to be all on AA metal regardless of who issues the ticket and/or markets the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.