Wiki Posts
Search

Kicking off on BA474 Today - LHR-BCN 28/12

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Kicking off on BA474 Today - LHR-BCN 28/12

Unfortunately I missed the beginning of the fallout but a couple of guys in the front of CE are in the middle of a shouting match with the crew.

Crew are saying that the passengers were/are aggressive and passengers saying that crew are behaving unprofessionally. Ops Manager summoned and crew refusing to remain onboard unless the passengers are ejected.

I guess we are waiting for either the police or a replacement crew at this point.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Never mind, Ops Manager has negotiated a cease fire and the passengers have apologised to get us going, with a bit of a delay.

From what I can make out the issue centred around the crew bags above 1AC. I have a suspicion of what the passengers may have done to irk the crew but as I didn’t witness it I’ll keep those thoughts to myself.

Have a happy Saturday all.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Well done to the Ops Manager (will refrain from taking sides given the information available thus far)
Hope you have a safe flight.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:03 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Crew putting their bags above row 1 is something that irks to the extent that I never choose row 1 and if I am allocated row 1 I move. I nearly always have 2 bags and have no wish to become a salmon swimming against the current of those wanting to get to immigration 3 seconds earlier because they get up when they hear "doors to..."
MaxFlyer and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
An unfortunate side effect of removing the wardrobes. As we prefer Row 1, we're always keen to board early to get the space above Row 2 (sorry, folks, no choice!). Fortunately iWife's carry-on fits perfectly in the small space above our seats.

I do feel sympathy for the CC ... what else are they supposed to do when the airline gives them no option other to use pax space in the overheads?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Well, as a crewmember all be it not on narrow bodied aircraft I would take out what I needed from my bag and put the bag in a locker further down the cabin, why would I want my customers unhappy when I strive to do the opposite?
Markie, 1P, Crampedin13A and 31 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by T8191
Fortunately iWife's carry-on fits perfectly in the small space above our seats.
Is that a new Apple app where you scan your wife with an iPhone and she shrinks to fit inside her carry-on?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Well, as a crewmember all be it not on narrow bodied aircraft I would take out what I needed from my bag and put the bag in a locker further down the cabin, why would I want my customers unhappy when I strive to do the opposite?
Unfortunately you would be a rarity as all too often on short haul, crew bags are above row 1 - it really irritates me too. I have mentioned it previously - pointing out that crew are the last to deplane so does it matter where their bags are - I pick row 1 for a quick getaway - normally met with a shrug of indifference!

aks120
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Hope the rest of the flight goes smoothly Steve_ZA. I avoid the issue by choosing row 2 and only having a small ruck-sack as carry on. That way row 1 passengers / cabin crew can also share the space above my seat although I like C-W-S's advice from a previous thread (can't find it to link to) to put bags in the overhead bin on the opposite side of the aisle so you can easily keep an eye on it from your own seat.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:09 am
Suspended

Crew were on first, tough luck passengers.
ENTP and Crismyth like this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
An unfortunate side effect of removing the wardrobes.
what wardrobes have been removed?
surryson likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Deleted as someone else iBeat me to it
AJA_ likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:14 am

I must say as crew, I always ensure that my bag is in the realms of row 5-6 and my colleagues almost always follow suit so it’s disappointing to hear this isn’t the norm.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It's a bit of a pain when the locker above the first row is filled with crew bags (it really doesn't make sense to put them there, since passengers in row 1 can't put anything in from of them).

However, I find that most crew voluntarily move them if I casually mention not wanting to cause a bottleneck to disembarking traffic by going against the flow to fetch it from further back.

Originally Posted by KARFA
what wardrobes have been removed?
I assume he's thinking of G-GATx, although I think most (all?) of them actually didn't have a wardrobe in the first place (at least some of them did have a bulkhead-like thing there in their previous guise though), rather than their being removed.
ian67 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by smiles in the aisles
I must say as crew, I always ensure that my bag is in the realms of row 5-6 and my colleagues almost always follow suit so it’s disappointing to hear this isn’t the norm.
Your practice is the norm in my experience, it's not often crew bags are above row 1 and 2, however it does sometimes (20% perhaps?) happen that they are over row 1-2. Occasionally the crew will remove those bags to the flight deck if CE fills up in order to create space. I accept that other FTers have different experiences but I think it's fair to say that it rarely results in an argument, as seems to have happened here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.