Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kicking off on BA474 Today - LHR-BCN 28/12

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I just avoid Row 1. I'd rather have an empty CE row 3 or 4 rows back with no worry about overhead storage and with legroom and access to my cabin bag under the middle seat. On exit I usually catch up to those in Row 1 on the jetbridge or on the bus anyway
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
I fly quite a lot of BA short haul, mostly in row 1, and I don’t often have a problem with this, albeit I usually board such flights early to get overhead space.

As to why crew put their bags there, I had a conversation with a CC member about this not long ago. In that case the bag was above the first ET exit row on an A321, and I asked why there. Her reasoning was that female crew have to change shoes and jackets (plus hats in the case of MF, which I believe BCN is) at the beginning and end of every flight, and it was easier if the bags were to hand near their takeoff/landing seats (she was in the exit door crew seat on the 321).

It’s only one dafa point and I take many flights with no crew bags above row 1, but in that context it does make some sense, though still understandably irksome to passengers with nowhere close by to put bags. Most crew are pretty reasonable about moving them, if passengers are reasonable in how they ask.
I'd love to know why crew have to change shoes, jackets and possibly hats at the start and end of every flight (beyond "it's in the rules"). This seems like a waste of their time plus possibly extra weight carried on each flight (so extra fuel and $). I really couldn't give a monkeys what hat the cabin crew is wearing.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I see unconscious bias has been at work, people now accusing the crew of starting the incident, shouting... it’s perfectly possible that the crew behaved professionally (I wasn’t there so please don’t take that as me saying they did) and Theo pax started moving their bags.

I don’t think I’ve ever had real problem putting me bad near me in row 1, but I usually find if such problems arise and you speak nicely to the crew, they wiill be more than obliging to help.

Putting crew bags in the flight deck would cause issues with the number of outfit changes they have to do, so I can’t see that as being a practical solution.

i know other airlines just stick stickers above row 1 that say crew use only,, but that doesn’t really solve the issue. I guess we just need to be aware of the possibility and consider that in our seat selection as many already do it seams.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
I’ve never seen a full blown argument between staff and passengers before on any airline and whatever the cause it wasn’t good to see. The “either they go or we go” ultimatum was a low point and perhaps a conflict resolution refresher would help.
Oh goodness yes. I know this is a hot topic for many FTers (though personally I don't give a stuff where my bag goes, so long as it's somewhere on the aircraft), I even struggle to understand the logic of the salmon syndrome mentioned above (is 20 seconds really going to make a difference? how about nicely asking for the bag to be passed over to you?). But no matter, even if it's part of deal for flying then it certainly isn't worth a conflict of that sort, it's just not worth it.

From the BBC's A Guide to Disagreeing Better:

1) You don't have to agree - disagreeing itself isn't the problem, it's how we do it

2) Don't aim for the middle ground - splitting the difference isn't the answer when you fundamentally disagree

3) How you talk is more important than what you talk about - "What matters is the dynamic that exists between us," says couples counsellor Esther Perel

4) Speak truthfully - to form meaningful relationships what's needed is total honesty

5) Listen intently and aim for empathy - it's all about "a willingness to take in what the other person says," says Esther Perel

6) Dial down the rhetoric and rein in the insults - "No one in history has ever been insulted into agreement," says Harvard professor Arthur Brooks

7) Understand the difference between fact and opinion - opinions are perspectives to be tested against the evidence, not just weapons to be wielded against our opponents

8) Go looking for conflict - Then "listen compassionately, give your point of view and express love," says Arthur Brooks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...isagree-better

Thank you for reporting back, @Steve_ZA
alex67500, nancypants and MNMAA like this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:50 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by abligh
I'd love to know why crew have to change shoes, jackets and possibly hats at the start and end of every flight (beyond "it's in the rules"). This seems like a waste of their time plus possibly extra weight carried on each flight (so extra fuel and $). I really couldn't give a monkeys what hat the cabin crew is wearing.
Ok - it's mostly the ladies. They are not allowed to wear heels as these could tear the slide (as you know as you have sat through those tediously unfunny Safety Demos done by the Luvvies). The hats are - for Mixed Fleet - standard uniform and have to be worn on take off and landing. Jackets you take off and put your serving smocks on as that you don't get stuff all over you during turbulence. Milk is the worst. You may not give a Monkeys bottom, but the airline does. When you see some of the scruffs on AA who don't even comb their hair (in one instance) I'm glad that they d care about crew appearance. I'd rather not be served by slobs, thank you.
SKT-DK and alex67500 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Ok - it's mostly the ladies. They are not allowed to wear heels as these could tear the slide (as you know as you have sat through those tediously unfunny Safety Demos done by the Luvvies). The hats are - for Mixed Fleet - standard uniform and have to be worn on take off and landing. Jackets you take off and put your serving smocks on as that you don't get stuff all over you during turbulence. Milk is the worst. You may not give a Monkeys bottom, but the airline does. When you see some of the scruffs on AA who don't even comb their hair (in one instance) I'm glad that they d care about crew appearance. I'd rather not be served by slobs, thank you.
Thanks. I'm still interested in why hats haven't been "enhanced away" (given the same rules don't apparently exist outside MF and male cabin crew don't seem to wear them), and why, if heels are banned when airborne as they might tear the slide, BA are requiring heels when on the ground (i.e. why one pair of shoes is not acceptable as it appears to be for male cabin crew). The jacket / smock thing seems far more practical/sensible (I wouldn't be wanting to travel to my hotel covered in milk).
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:44 pm

We wear hats on Worldwide also, when on the A380, 787 and I’m assuming the A350. We need to be in flat shoes before takeoff and until doors to automatic. We are ‘expected’ to wear heels as we are female....
PUCCI GALORE and Tiger_lily like this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:27 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by flygirl68
We wear hats on Worldwide also, when on the A380, 787 and I’m assuming the A350. We need to be in flat shoes before takeoff and until doors to automatic. We are ‘expected’ to wear heels as we are female....
I wear nothing else Dear. Him Indoors once had the effrontery to suggest that my Jimmy Choos were damaging the parquet flooring at home. He did that once and once only I promise you. I only change them for driving as it scrapes the heels. Hats came in after my time, though we wore them at BCAL.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I wear nothing else Dear. Him Indoors once had the effrontery to suggest that my Jimmy Choos were damaging the parquet flooring at home. He did that once and once only I promise you. I only change them for driving as it scrapes the heels. Hats came in after my time, though we wore them at BCAL.
My feet can’t take heels anymore. We got away with not wearing hats over Christmas, by wearing Christmas hats!
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:51 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Oh goodness yes. I know this is a hot topic for many FTers (though personally I don't give a stuff where my bag goes, so long as it's somewhere on the aircraft), I even struggle to understand the logic of the salmon syndrome mentioned above (is 20 seconds really going to make a difference? how about nicely asking for the bag to be passed over to you?). But no matter, even if it's part of deal for flying then it certainly isn't worth a conflict of that sort, it's just not worth it.

]
It's more and more the norm that passengers are up on their feet getting their luggage out while the plane is still moving. On my flight back from CPH I was the only passenger not stood up while we were still not stopped at the stand. Crew had to ask people to sit back down 6 times while we were still on the runway. More and more passengers think it's acceptable. You get up after them and they all have their luggage down before the plane has come to a complete stop. passing people without hand luggage is hard enough. This problem is getting worse. Most of the cabin is now on their feet when the plane has turned into the stand. It's hard enough to get a bag down from opposite because people close every gap as if the world is a bout to end.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Palmer
What personal kit do the crew need to carry? I often see their bags and they seem to be carrying more than I’m taking for a week away. How much room can a spare shirt / blouse and a pair of cruds take up?

The flight was scheduled for a10:25 am departure. Are the crew expecting to be overnight somewhere and need a full change of clothes, fresh uniform, slippers and pyjamas etc? You’d think they’d have mastered the art of packing light. When I’m away overnight I can fit what I need in something no bigger than a box of cornflakes.

Palmer
Most airlines except for Allegiant dont have many day trips for crew. 4 day trips are standard(add a day to that if you commute). More if you're jr and on reserve. If we could do day trips I'd just bring my flightbag
Palmer, James91 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'd like to say I wish the crew carried a bit less stuff, but you never know how long the layovers are and they're just normal people too, they wanna shop and be tourists etc. But here's a for instance...UA 757s, the last 4 bins or so on BOTH sides of a single aisle plane are taken up by raft, supplies, then crew bags. So if you're in rows like 36 and up, there's just no overhead space. Passengers carry way too much as well, but that space is expected, so to find it unavailable even if you're in group 1-2 is quite a piss off. I'd never get into a shouting match with the crew about it, but I did volunteer on a BOG-IAH one day only to have my seat NOT needed and boarded last. Needless to say there was no room in economy because all those last bins were occupied (where my seat was) and the ones forward were full either by attrition or because of the extra strain created by those bins being unusable.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: QF WP
It’s a worldwide problem and one in need of a solution IMO. As the previous poster says I don’t think it’s entirely fair to lump the problem on the back rows (granted they don’t have the bulkhead issue so can store some stuff at their feet) and as others say items need to be close to crew at opportune moments anyway

Pants has this ongoing problem on his trips- even if they are not planned overnighting they are encouraged to take an overnight bag as flights can be cancelled, planes go tech etc or occasionally have to stay on and do additional flights due to sickness of others resulting in unexpected overnights. He is often away for up to 5 days at a time but the crews aren’t allowed checked bags because of plane swaps. The 737 fleet has the locker above Row 1D-F blocked (and locked) for crew bags but the regional fleet doesn’t even have that and there is only space in the cockpit for flight bags not cases. Originally they were putting their bags in the wardrobe adjacent row 4 but complaints about pax not being able to hang suit bags scotched that, so now they have been told to put them above row 4 (which is also a bulkhead but at least not business class so easier to tell anyone there complaining to zip it, seemingly)

interestingly the only slanging match I’ve ever witnessed between BA staff and passengers was LHR-BCN as well (granted the gate agent rather than any of the flight crew). Unpleasant
Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by flygirl68
I am so sorry that you are 'expected' to wear heels. That's really not on.

You are on your feet for most of the flight (short haul definitely, assuming you get more respite on long haul) first and foremost making sure we get to our destination safely, checking we have our seatbelts on, serving us passengers welcome drinks or meals or the BoB down the back, then clearing away afterwards and all the other unseen things you all do so well.

I think that forcing you to wear heels is daft, flat shoes can look just as elegant and are much kinder to you. I am sure 90% of us can't see your feet anyway as you pass by going down the aisle. I would support you getting rid of that rule.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:59 am

Thus seems to be the same argument that people have over parking on the road outside their houses.
my understanding is that you pay for an allotted or are allocated a seat, this doesn’t, however, allocate a particular locker.
to me, tge passengers are at fault as they seem to think tgey had tge right to move any bags above their seat. If they gad moved my bags as a passenger I woukd have kicked off too
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.