Wiki Posts
Search

LGW Short Haul Night stopping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

LGW Short Haul Night stopping

I can see EDI, GLA and JER as short haul night stopping destinations, are there others I’ve missed?
I’m surprised AMS isn’t a night stopper.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
They don't have very many shorthaul night stops out of LGW compared to LHR, it seems a specific aspect of LGW's economics that they minimise night stops. You can see this indirectly by the relatively small number of aircraft that leave LGW after say 19:00 hrs - they generally want their aircraft and crew back for the night. NCE has been a night stop in the recent past.
FlyerTalker39574 and BAeuro like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 4:18 pm

At one point AMS was a nightstop and it was always a terrible performer back into London when I took it - a nomination for the "quiet flight" thread on occasion! So I don't see it returning, LCY handles the O&D demand and LHR the connections. + Easyjet have a ex-AMS flight now
alex67500 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I guess LGW is less crowded than the other two so parking isn't as much of an issue. And if it saves a night stop for crew I guess BA have done the math here... They probably need early flights for the "provincials" coming to the capital but it isn't necessarily the case for foreign locations.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
With LGW being made up of many seasonal low frequency leisure routes (what a mouthful), there isn’t really the demand for night stopper services.

One candidate for a night stop though is probably VCE. It has a high frequency from LGW and given that BA axed the LHR night stop flight (as the slots were better used on another route) it could prove useful. It would also mop up some of the exMonarch evening departure slots.

Even AGP could work; popular city, holiday hotspot, plus a large expat community which could connect on further.

Last edited by BAeuro; Dec 26, 2019 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:57 pm

Gatwick doesn't have the same night time curfew restrictions as Heathrow. Therefore it's relatively common to have aircraft operate multiple European rotations during the day and land back at base past midnight in the wee small hours before starting with another set of daily rotations a few hours later. The logistics mean there isn't the need to have aircraft back earlier as is the case at Heathrow and City. Nor to the greater degree is there the need to operate first flight into LGW from Euro business destinations as the majority of services are geared towards the leisure / Mediterranean sun destinations. The exceptions being (but not limited to) where crew do night stop (JER/EDI etc...)
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by BAeuro
One candidate for a night stop though is probably VCE. It has a high frequency from LGW and given that BA axed the LHR night stop flight (as the slots were better used on another route) it could prove useful. It would also mop up some of the exMonarch evening departure slots.
Venice was a nightstop at one point - though going back quite a few years now I think. But again Easyjet are in there now (with it's Venice base, so no hotel costs etc) + I imagine a big segment of the BA clientele is ex-UK, which generally doesn't want a crack of dawn flight back, especially leisure traffic. I am surprised they have cut morning LHR flights though, I would have thought these carried plenty of decent yield US connecting traffic
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:38 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
JER has two crews night stopping every night I think - the crew off the lunchtime rotation operate the early flight the following morning, and then the crew off the last inbound stay over.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I had an overnight at LGW for a trip to ZRH....Hilton is the only convenient hotel...Whilst the Marriott is technically possible to walk to, you certainly don’t want to do it mid winter
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Venice was a nightstop at one point - though going back quite a few years now I think. But again Easyjet are in there now (with it's Venice base, so no hotel costs etc) + I imagine a big segment of the BA clientele is ex-UK, which generally doesn't want a crack of dawn flight back, especially leisure traffic. I am surprised they have cut morning LHR flights though, I would have thought these carried plenty of decent yield US connecting traffic
LGW does have a night curfew arrangement by quota. I was on a U2 flight back from a meeting at the Scotish April Ent a few months ago and we were delayed and then had to wait in the hold at LGW gone midnight before the necessary permission was obtained to land.

As I understand it they are allowed between 2330L and 0600L with a shoulder period from 2300-2330. These allow for delayed aircraft and the occasional flight (such as when BA use it to position prior to a flight with more restrictive hours at a maintenance airport), but generally no noisy scheduled flights.

The quota takes into account the type of plane and how noisy it is- a Vulcan for example with take a lot of quota points!
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I would have thought that a morning departure ex AMS to LGW would have carried a few business day trippers from AMS, as the connections into central London and South Coast are pretty good, but as someone above pointed out, maybe the Gatters clientele is largely UK base, in which case I can understand why the early morning flight into LGW was a poor performer. Judging by my own habits, these days I try and fly out the night before and stay in a hotel to ensure I get a full day's work done, even if the trip is do-able in a single day.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by navylad
LGW does have a night curfew arrangement by quota. I was on a U2 flight back from a meeting at the Scotish April Ent a few months ago and we were delayed and then had to wait in the hold at LGW gone midnight before the necessary permission was obtained to land.

As I understand it they are allowed between 2330L and 0600L with a shoulder period from 2300-2330. These allow for delayed aircraft and the occasional flight (such as when BA use it to position prior to a flight with more restrictive hours at a maintenance airport), but generally no noisy scheduled flights.

The quota takes into account the type of plane and how noisy it is- a Vulcan for example with take a lot of quota points!
Are you thinking of Heathrow with the quota?

There’s BA flights scheduled to land at LGW well past midnight.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by navylad

Isn’t that for Heathrow?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by cameramaker
Are you thinking of Heathrow with the quota?

There’s BA flights scheduled to land at LGW well past midnight.
There is a quota system for night flights at LGW, and there are quota points based on aircraft noise, but it’s not as restrictive as navylad suggests. In practice it means on average during the summer there are 40-50 flights during the night curfew period, and around 18-20 per night in the winter. Like other LGW-based carriers, BA has a number of scheduled arrivals coming back late, which presumably leads to fewer requirements for night stops downroute.

More details here

https://www.gatwickairport.com/busin...d/night-noise/
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Yes there are indeed a small number of flights during the night curfew some of which are scheduled flights, indeed about 2k more than standard and about 2.5 times as many as Heathrow, sorry for not having been clearer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.