Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Singapore Executive Club line refuses US member award bookings. Is this right?

Old Dec 25, 19, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS

I had read online in blogs and I think here that one could call the Singapore Executive Club phone line during hours when other Exec Club lines were closed but I just called them to make an award booking and was told by the agent that they are not permitted to make award bookings for US members. Is this accurate? If so does it extend to other regions?
Old Dec 26, 19, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
Try the Japan one, never had an issue there
Old Dec 26, 19, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I think the UK line is open now too which I think still works.

I had called twice to the Singapore line. The first time the agent I spoke with said he was going to transfer me to the "right department" and I immediately got a recording saying the department was closed. In retrospect I figure he transferred me to the closed US office which would bolster the theory that the Singapore Exec Club line does not help US members book awards (although the agent from the second call did say he was permitted to help me if I needed to book a revenue ticket).

The value in the Singapore Executive Club number may be when there are long queues in your home region since the Singapore line can transfer you through to your home region, possibly bypassing the queues?

ETA:
Lovely, I just tried calling the UK line and got a message saying they were sorry but they were experiencing excessively high call volumes, then it hung up on me. Just Lovely.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Dec 26, 19 at 4:25 am
Old Dec 26, 19, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've had this problem a few times... it ended up being a HUACA situation but it required multiple (I think 3?) attempts before I found someone who was willing to help. It seemed like it was a case of willingness (or unwillingness) rather than lack of ability.
Old Dec 26, 19, 7:01 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
When you call the member lines outside of the UK, you seem to be transferred to an Indian call centre. I assume its the same call centre used for all regions.

Does anyone know how it works? Are the agents who are working with Hong Kong (for example) logged in as HK agents and they have a HK POS amongst other things?
Old Dec 26, 19, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Both agents I spoke with recently calling the Singapore line had pronounced Indian accents so quite possibly from an Indian call center. I do not know how it works. The one agent I asked when calling the Singapore line claimed he was working in the Singapore Call Center.
Old Dec 27, 19, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
When you call the member lines outside of the UK, you seem to be transferred to an Indian call centre. I assume it’s the same call centre used for all regions.

Does anyone know how it works? Are the agents who are working with Hong Kong (for example) logged in as “HK” agents and they have a HK POS amongst other things?
There are different call centers.
The one linked to European members used to be based in Bremen (Germany). They are still there (I just interacted with them)
When I call the HK center, I never get an indian accent. But the HK POS is an issue. I just had such a problem.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 27, 19 at 8:50 am
Old Dec 27, 19, 5:55 am

Programs: GGL, Cats protection
Originally Posted by skimthetrees View Post
Both agents I spoke with recently calling the Singapore line had pronounced Indian accents so quite possibly from an Indian call center. I do not know how it works. The one agent I asked when calling the Singapore line claimed he was working in the Singapore Call Center.
Singapore is incredibly multilingual so it could very well be Singapore you were speaking to
Old Dec 27, 19, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Plastic. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Calling Japan and selecting English language option put me through to an excellent Indian accented call handler.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: