789 to Nashville: Worth Premium upgrade?

Old Dec 24, 19, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
789 to Nashville: Worth Premium upgrade?

I have asked a question about the seating in economy in the thread on the 787 but no one replied... this is a new question.

I have booked seat 39C on the avios half price promo from a month or so ago. It is the twin seat at the back. I am hopeful this is a good seat on a very crowded economy configuration. I am also hoping just like on my flight to Orlando that as a gold member the seat next to me is blocked.

I had a very enjoyable journey in economy with those two seats (I also have to thank the cabin crew who realised I was gold and invited me to help myself to the club kitchen whenever I felt like it!). On the way back I had premium and I have to say I wasn’t impressed. The food was inedible and despite a wider seat it wasn’t as comfortable as two standard economy seats.

This is relevant because there is a 250ish upgrade to premium on my booking available each way - and I don’t know if its worth it... any one have first hand experience on this flight?

Last edited by Spinstorm; Dec 24, 19 at 11:28 am
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Was your previous experience on a 787-8 or 787-9? Personally I would say the WTP offer is worth doing, though it's not a bargain at that price, simply because I think 787 WT seating generally is fairly dire (and not just on BA). If you're petit(e) then maybe it's less problematic than for a heffalump like me. Nashville is very successful at WT sales, so if in WTP you may have a bit of a chance of a further upgrade. The 787 WTP seating is fine for me, particularly at the bulkhead which is spacious enough for the window seat passenger to get out without disturbing the aisle passenger too much.

Getting access to the CW Kitchen when not travelling CW is definitely a rare perk! Sometimes the CSL may offer to get you something from there as a one-off but I wouldn't take even that for granted.
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Was your previous experience on a 787-8 or 787-9? Personally I would say the WTP offer is worth doing, though it's not a bargain at that price, simply because I think 787 WT seating generally is fairly dire (and not just on BA). If you're petit(e) then maybe it's less problematic than for a heffalump like me. Nashville is very successful at WT sales, so if in WTP you may have a bit of a chance of a further upgrade. The 787 WTP seating is fine for me, particularly at the bulkhead which is spacious enough for the window seat passenger to get out without disturbing the aisle passenger too much.

Getting access to the CW Kitchen when not travelling CW is definitely a rare perk! Sometimes the CSL may offer to get you something from there as a one-off but I wouldn't take even that for granted.
That journey I mentioned above was on a 747 to LA and back - the retro paint job plane (although I didn’t see that until after I landed back).

I don’t know if those twin seats on the Dreamliner are going to be more suitable but I guess considering its the only place in economy with twin seats it is more likely! I am however not petite lol there is a belly there...
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The seating is chalk and cheese, the 747 seating is very, very different in WT compared to the 787, though the onboard service is the same. Flying to Nashville - day time flight - may be different, and apparently most travellers survive the experience. But for the overnight return I wouldn't take the risk. The price you see there seems to be the fare difference. POUGs would normally be a bit less than that on the LHR-BNA sector, maybe around that for the return. If you start from Inverness the fare may be lower.
Old Dec 24, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'd always take the WTP on the 787s over WT. Reasonable TP boost if needed as well.
superweak likes this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 4:44 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Not so good for the people who have paid for CW and then find the kitchen empty after a few hours!!!
haroon145 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 7:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
I'd always take the WTP on the 787s over WT. Reasonable TP boost if needed as well.
In this instance no TPs as it is a POUG on an Avios booking.
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wilsnunn View Post
In this instance no TPs as it is a POUG on an Avios booking.
Right you are..missed that. But would still take the WTP
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
Right you are..missed that. But would still take the WTP
Agreed, found WT+ on the 787-9 to be very good last week.
Old Dec 25, 19, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
With broad shoulders I would always take WTP on a 787 over WT.

WTP on a 789 is also nice since the toilets are the back of the cabin. On the 788 you have to walk through another WT cabin. Overall the WTP seat on the 787 is very nice and have had my best sleep on them (about 8 hours on the way to KL).
Old Dec 25, 19, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
As a short and not-too-wide person and Gold cardholder, I think the front exit row seats in WT are champion and certainly prevent me from upgrading to WT+. It remains the only BA cabin I have never flown in.
Old Dec 25, 19, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
All 787 seats are rock hard in economy. That plus the narrowness in WT means SWMBO has a hard rule that she (and therefore I) wont fly 8 hours + in Y no matter the deal..
Old Dec 27, 19, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I find it very interesting that the consensus seems to be that on one of BA’s newest planes that WT is the worst and worth the upgrade!

For those of you that have been to Nashville, I have redeemed my Hilton points to stay at Nashville Airport Hilton (not exactly the most exciting place but it’s free! And that’s the best hotel for 7 days with the points I have available). I have heard that there isn’t that much to do in Nashville - I don’t know if that’s accurate. I have also heard Memphis is a more interesting place. I have enough marriot Bonvoy points for a one night stay in Memphis so I may rent a car and do that. Any tips on the cities? Things to do? Thanks.
Old Dec 27, 19, 1:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Passed through both Memphis and Nashville recently. If you've got a specific interest in the country / blues music scene, then there's plenty to keep you occupied. Gracelend was certainly worth the trip. Otherwise, I didn't find anything in either that would keep me there for more than a day or so.

If you're driving between the two, the roundabout route via the Shiloh battlefield and Jack Daniels in Lynchburg is more rewarding than taking the freeway.
Old Dec 27, 19, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Spinstorm View Post
I have heard that there isn’t that much to do in Nashville - I don’t know if that’s accurate. I have also heard Memphis is a more interesting place
Both cities are worth visiting, I'm not sure I'd stay at the airport, though it's not far out of town. Nashville does have a proper downtown, which you can walk around, it's not so big. It helps if you like alcohol! There are some ideas here.

New BA Routes 2018: Nashville, Tennessee (BNA)

I am afraid the most abiding memory I have of my visit to Nashville was visiting the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum (not, you will appreciate my preferred genre, and Kings of Leon are local too) and seeing the Shania Twain outfits on display. A staff member was adjusting some of the items, and I then realised that it was in fact Ms. Twain herself dusting her own memorabilia. You can take a lass out of Canada.......

Paging @sweetsleep
squawk and Spinstorm like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: