Community
Wiki Posts
Search

789 to Nashville: Worth Premium upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Adstring
Agree. That's a good price. Take it.

We have just spent three days in Nashville. I'd recommend visiting the Hermitage (former home of president Andrew Jackson) and eating some Nashville Hot Chicken. We tried two spots, Boltons (small authentic shack) and Party Fowl (slightly more upmarket small chain). Both great.
We must have just missed each other. I agree with the comments in this thread, Nashville is a wonderful place. Although the "hot" chicken isn't so hot - you need to get them to notch it up a bit if you want it really hot

Party Fowl is a decent place, as is Hattie B's - expect to queue in some places at popular times.

Then the Nashville strip is something to experience on a Friday or Saturday evening

I would also recommend the Marathon Motor Works - nice bit of history and some new and interesting brewers and wine companies doing tastings. Enjoyable 2 or 3 hours.

Wrap up warm - it was very cold yesterday.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Spinstorm
I tried app and site - and then checked in thinking it would ask me there but nothing.
Now you're checked in, I'm almost sure nothing you can do. At the Airport you can ask. I can't imagine it being cheaper than what you offered, also, if other people bag the offer before you at the desk then op-ups less likely and they may even bag all available paid spaces.

Either way, have a great flight
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by TTmex
Now you're checked in, I'm almost sure nothing you can do. At the Airport you can ask. I can't imagine it being cheaper than what you offered, also, if other people bag the offer before you at the desk then op-ups less likely and they may even bag all available paid spaces.

Either way, have a great flight
Thanks. I complained about this and got 5,000 avios from Customer relations. We will see tomorrow on upgrade availability- but I do believe that if I have no one next to me even in economy in that two at the back I’ll be fine.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
We must have just missed each other. I agree with the comments in this thread, Nashville is a wonderful place. Although the "hot" chicken isn't so hot - you need to get them to notch it up a bit if you want it really hot

Party Fowl is a decent place, as is Hattie B's - expect to queue in some places at popular times.

Then the Nashville strip is something to experience on a Friday or Saturday evening

I would also recommend the Marathon Motor Works - nice bit of history and some new and interesting brewers and wine companies doing tastings. Enjoyable 2 or 3 hours.

Wrap up warm - it was very cold yesterday.

I agree...I didn't find the chicken *that* hot despite all the warnings. I did manage to catch Keith Urban and Stevie Nicks at the free NYE concert. Quite an experience...although Stevie was very much propped up by Keith!

We stayed in Germantown and I'd recommend a meal out / drink in that area too. If you like burgers, check out Jack Browns Beer and Burger. There's a cool little craft brewery called Bearded Iris Brewing too....

..I'm aware that we're playing to a certain section of the crowd here. If you only stay at the Four Seasons when you travel ignore everything above (he says ironically sat in the lobby of a Mandarin Oriental!)
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
@corporate-wage-slave Am I reading this correct that there are no economy seats available - so its full?

BA 2230 48% / 37m
J9 C9 D9 R6 I0 W7 E0 T0 Y2 B1 H0 K0M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

The price for the upgrade went down to Ł219 and when I decided to do it then it told me it wasn’t available.

I will try calling up BA - but I imagine my best chance is in the airport tomorrow.
This is a fluid process, and currently I'm seeing:
J9 C9 D8 R0 I0 W7 E0 T0 Y2 B2 H1 K1 M1 L1 V1 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

Which means this flight will go out fairly full except there will be some space in CW. I'd guess 1 empty seat in WT and perhaps a dozen in CW, but a lot depends on last minute changes and staff standbys if they aren't cleared by now.

POUGs are typically triggered once a day at midnight, and don't necessarily clear down when they are no longer being offered. It's not as simple as someone else getting in there first, though it can be that too, but there is some constant calculation of the options.

If you have done OLCI you can still be offered a POUG tomorrow, check the App first, try to see if you can do it on the main website, but if may not be in this scenario visible there. In which case try the App version at that point, ideally early tomorrow morning.

Otherwise you're looking at AUPs at the airport tomorrow.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is a fluid process, and currently I'm seeing:
J9 C9 D8 R0 I0 W7 E0 T0 Y2 B2 H1 K1 M1 L1 V1 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

Which means this flight will go out fairly full except there will be some space in CW. I'd guess 1 empty seat in WT and perhaps a dozen in CW, but a lot depends on last minute changes and staff standbys if they aren't cleared by now.

POUGs are typically triggered once a day at midnight, and don't necessarily clear down when they are no longer being offered. It's not as simple as someone else getting in there first, though it can be that too, but there is some constant calculation of the options.

If you have done OLCI you can still be offered a POUG tomorrow, check the App first, try to see if you can do it on the main website, but if may not be in this scenario visible there. In which case try the App version at that point, ideally early tomorrow morning.

Otherwise you're looking at AUPs at the airport tomorrow.

I set up an EF alert to the availability of the seat next to me to see if it became unblocked. And I got one about an hour ago.

I went back into my BA account and it now shows me in seat 20K which is WT+. For free. On a redemption ticket.

The only issue I have is I can’t change my seat as the main manage my booking shows the original seat but the check in info shows the new seat. But as it says I need my passport checked it won’t let me change my seat.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I set up an EF alert to the availability of the seat next to me to see if it became unblocked. And I got one about an hour ago.

I went back into my BA account and it now shows me in seat 20K which is WT+. For free. On a redemption ticket.

The only issue I have is I can’t change my seat as the main manage my booking shows the original seat but the check in info shows the new seat. But as it says I need my passport checked it won’t let me change my seat.
That's a result. Good on your for holding out - you played a game of chicken and I'd have swerved before you did . It's always a delicate game.

Now here's hoping for some more reshuffling and a magic beep at the gate for new bording pass with a CW seat number
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I guess you went and got your boarding pass at OLCI? If so then yes, you won't be able to change seats until the airport.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

I originally did the boarding pass on the site. And it let me load it onto my iPhone. But after that it was telling me no I couldn’t download it.

It may have been that the seat number was changed to 20K immediately but because the original boarding pass loaded on seat 43B I didn’t notice.

20K isn’t a bad seat. It’s a window seat in the two on the sides and I doubt there is probably any better seat available in WT+ but I’ll see tomorrow. Also I’ll see if I can get a CW upgrade.

But considering this cost me 17,000 Avios and Ł363 and the cash price of WT+ (both ways) is over Ł2,900 I have to be happy. Plus 5,000 free Avios for complaining on a flight that gets me zero back. Not bad.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:34 pm

Yes, it's a good result, and I hope you have a good flight.

The usual advice here is that in this sort of situation you should check-in at the first opportunity, but don't download or app your boarding pass, since this allows you move seats. So if you did acquire a neighbour in your old seat you could move to another nearer to departure and retain the TS block with it. Or as here, move seats when upgraded.
Spinstorm likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC
That's a great guide. Thanks again for the tips.

Like I said I wouldn't ever choose to stay in the airport but between uber, buses and car rental it seems that will work just fine. I'm off to New Orleans in first (as some will have seen) two weeks after this trip so my aim for this is a essentially low cost holiday making the most of my hilton points and avios (Ł1265 economy return is the cash price) for a week.

I do feel slightly guilty about my carbon footprint here as I accept New Orleans isn't that far from Nashville or Memphis (it's far but closer than flying to London and back!).
I am too flying from Nashville to NO in February. I did consider driving but at $88 for a flight on Spirit, car rental didn't make sense..
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Congrautlations! I would probably have folded and gone for the POUG (although as I am always after the TPs, I would have been less likely to on a redemption ticket) but you held out and got the upgrade anyway.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

I ended up in WT+ without anyone next to me but I have to say I didn’t enjoy the flight as much as ask the other flights I’ve taken this year. The 787 felt really dry - I don’t know what was going on but it wasn’t very nice.

Seat wise that was the most comfortable start in WT+ I have sat in but I have no complaints about service and food. It was actually good today unlike the last one. And once again I managed to find cabin crew who let me help myself in the club kitchen; I also checked out the 787 First cabin which is clearly significantly better than the cabins I have flown on the 380 and 777 and my upcoming on the 747 in 3 weeks.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Is there a lounge in Nashville?

It doesn’t seem like a very big airport and I get the impression if I arrive 3 hours early I am going to be left with nowhere to go.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Is there a lounge in Nashville?

It doesn’t seem like a very big airport and I get the impression if I arrive 3 hours early I am going to be left with nowhere to go.
There is an AAdmirals club upstairs. Usual qualifications for entry apply. I’ve never been in the club at the time of the BA departure, but it’s a pretty small club, so is probably a little busy at that time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.