Wiki Posts
Search

Ex EU still a good price

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Ex EU still a good price

Today is the first date that BA dates cover our return flights,
We are going 28th Nov, ret 12 Dec, 3 Adults as our son us 17 now, in business class with Chevy Tahoe

Standard BA price LGW-MCO is coming out as £7,015.
Defence discount price is £6,581

Now,
Dublin-MCO, which is via LGW (same flight as above) comes in at €5,090 (£4,358)
Defence Discount comes in at €4,765 (£4,076)

(Virgin holidays, with equivalent car and equivalent insurance, lgw-mco is, wait for it...
£11,324!)

now, I’m still waiting for Virgin Atlantic, Aer Lingus and American to reach our travel dates before we book, and the after Christmas BA Sale

We know that either, train to Gatwick, plus hotel, or flight from BHX to dub, that flight will add roughly £500 to the price, but once Aer Lingus is available it will be less than that for BHX-DUB-MCO

(BA for BHX-MCO is normally £1,000 plus for the same flights)

So, yes extra flight (on the way back we choose the mco-lgw-lhr-dub, as pick up cases at lgw and catch train home, quicker than waiting for flight back from DUB in the afternoon)
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I wouldn’t jump to book next November right now. MCO and TPA often £1,400 per person on advanced (six month +) booking. Let the prices settle and check again in a few weeks. Maybe if there’s a sale around Easter time? Also INV-MCO/TPA-LON gets decent prices.

Good place for requesting fare help:

Find me a good British Airways fare - ticket clinic [Beta / draft: BA FARES ONLY]
AlanA likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Buying cash flights on the first possible set of dates is usually an expensive way to travel, but I guess there is also a value of reassuring yourself the holiday is booked.

The cheapest BA flight-only(before DDS) from DUB to MCO in early November with a 2 week stay seems to be about 1400€ per person, so that's the benchmark, which won't always be possible once particular dates are fixed. I assume your figures are 3 plus car total rather than per person. So multiplying that up I think you're fairly close to the lowest fare for DUB, but not the very lowest, and I suspect the LGW fare will probably fall at some point.

As a general rule, with plenty of holes in it, the cheapest time to buy is usually 6 to 8 weeks before departure, that's when competition is at its most fierce.
AlanA and tmac100 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Buying cash flights on the first possible set of dates is usually an expensive way to travel, but I guess there is also a value of reassuring yourself the holiday is booked.

The cheapest BA flight-only(before DDS) from DUB to MCO in early November with a 2 week stay seems to be about 1400€ per person, so that's the benchmark, which won't always be possible once particular dates are fixed. I assume your figures are 3 plus car total rather than per person. So multiplying that up I think you're fairly close to the lowest fare for DUB, but not the very lowest, and I suspect the LGW fare will probably fall at some point.

As a general rule, with plenty of holes in it, the cheapest time to buy is usually 6 to 8 weeks before departure, that's when competition is at its most fierce.
there was an app I used to use that predicted based on historical fare information whether to hold out or buy- don’t know what it was called sadly though or if it is still going and there is always that element of risk (I think at 6 weeks out even I as a solo happy to amend travel pans to go elsewhere traveller would be twitchy if I had leave booked).
AlanA likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yeah, I think families don’t like to leave their flights until 6/8 weeks before, they’ll want to lock in accom, car etc etc and be fully prepared!
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Not rushing to book atm, too early for all flights to be available, another 10 days for other airlines to reach our departure date, so will keep an eye on flights and sales etc.
first class into Miami us tempting, only £300 more per person, on a 747 however.
also looking at flights into JFK and ORD, but a bit risky for weather at that time of the year
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by navylad
there was an app I used to use that predicted based on historical fare information whether to hold out or buy- don’t know what it was called sadly though or if it is still going and there is always that element of risk (I think at 6 weeks out even I as a solo happy to amend travel pans to go elsewhere traveller would be twitchy if I had leave booked).
There is an app called Hopper that I believe does this. Not sure how accurate it is though.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:31 am

I just booked DUB-LHR-IAD DCA-LGA JFK-LHR-DUB in J and 8 nights hotel between Washington & NYC in May for just over €2000 each. The same thing ex LON was over €1000 each more expensive so for me, ex EU is definitely good value
AlanA likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AlanA
Not rushing to book atm, too early for all flights to be available, another 10 days for other airlines to reach our departure date, so will keep an eye on flights and sales etc.
Because so much would ride on it, I would factor in an overnight in DUB before the main travel day, rather than attempt to do this all on one day. You mentioned potential weather problems in ORD and JFK, I would say that DUB would also potentially be risky there. For the return it's less problematic.
AlanA likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Because so much would ride on it, I would factor in an overnight in DUB before the main travel day, rather than attempt to do this all on one day. You mentioned potential weather problems in ORD and JFK, I would say that DUB would also potentially be risky there. For the return it's less problematic.
yes, last year I had factored in a good few hours between the flight from LHR-DUB-MCO, only to sit on the Apron for three hours as Dublin’s ground radar went tech.
luckily, as I had factored in a large gap, we still made the DUB-MCO part.
onky otter issue was due to the length of time at LHR, peopke got off and they offloaded one of our cases! Took three days to catch up with us

looking at hotels, the difference between Gatwick and Dublin is minimal for tge night before
Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
On the wider point as to whether ex-EUs is still 'worth it', I still think that for a family trip of perhaps 4 or 5 people the level of savings is usually well worth the faff of positioning and overnight pre-flight stays and the OP's quoted figures are a good example of that. However, I am now much more willing to pay what is often a relatively small premium to start and end nearer home as the wider family trips are a thing of the past for me.
AlanA likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
May I please add probably the most important qualifier "Except for UK school holidays, the cheapest time..."? :-)
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Blue

CWS, Is this 6-8 weeks from your experience or do you have a reference?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by simoflyer
CWS, Is this 6-8 weeks from your experience or do you have a reference?
Personal experience. There is a USA based ARC report from 2012 which also suggested the same, based on (I think) USA domestic sales, but the dynamics seem global to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.