WTP-Avios upgrade v AUP/POUG gamble

Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by absoluy
The only other thing to mention is that waiting means you also risk loosing the CW award space and not being able to actually upgrade! If you see the space and are sure you're not going to want to make any changes then I 'd recommend locking in the UUA as soon as possible (I've been also been stung before on this one!).
Yes, that is my biggest fear...I'll be keeping a close eye on it. An earlier flight had 8 CW available (now 7) and my flight is showing without stating 'X left' so i'm hoping that means 'more than 8' and plan to keep an eye on it and hope it doesn't move too much. There looks like lots of avios availability on the return but as i've been told this could disappear so i'm hoping for POUG to appear quickly and then jump and relax.

Fingers crossed.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by muggle
Fingers crossed.
It can be a bit nerve wracking! I'm pretty sure there's more than a handful of long haul flights where I've spent more time stressing about upgrade availability popping up/disappearing than time spent actually flying. Fingers crossed indeed!
muggle likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

An update! POUG for both legs LHR-JFK have just popped up £472 each way - there is limited recent detail in the POUG wiki on this route but I’m guessing this is a decent price and unlikely to go down and I should get on an pay for it?!
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
An update! POUG for both legs LHR-JFK have just popped up £472 each way - there is limited recent detail in the POUG wiki on this route but I’m guessing this is a decent price and unlikely to go down and I should get on an pay for it?!
Is it a decent price for you though? If it is, then go for it.
muggle likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Assuming this is WTP to CW then yes this is a good though not outstanding deal. So £944 versus the UuA of £200 + 48k Avios. That is £680 for the UuA on a frequently used formula, but you would get 100 addiitional TPs and 3.4 k Avios via a POUG. UuA is still good value against that, but if you need the TPs, it's difficult to get them for under £2 each.
muggle likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both, after some BA IT shenanigans and a call to the gold line it’s all upgraded successfully and they are TCPing the bookings also. Quite a relief. An exciting time as I try the club suite tomorrow. I’ll report back on as a 6 foot 4 guy as regard to leg space! Let the adventures begin! X
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by absoluy
Yes - the BA surcharges vary based on departure and destination. OSL/ARN/DUB all offer great WTP fares and little to no changes in surcharges to UUA from WTP to CW or CW to F. Departing from LHR and UUA from WTP to CW for the same transatlantic segment would cost £200 in surcharges vs. €0 from DUB. So aside from the (usually) cheaper fare you also save the extra “taxes” if you’re planning on UUA.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed and just to illustrate this, the carrier surcharges (YQ) for OSL - PHL - OSL are as follows: (all the following in GBP):

and for LHR-PHL-LHR (due to the current sale I think they've dipped the YQ for WT slightly).

WT = £90
WTP = £200
CW = £400
First = £400
Quick question on this theme as am looking to UUA - if I book a journey starting in DUB to the US but ending in London (e.g. DUB-LHR-EWR-LHR), does the DUB YQ apply or UK YQ?

Thank you!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by polochick
Quick question on this theme as am looking to UUA - if I book a journey starting in DUB to the US but ending in London (e.g. DUB-LHR-EWR-LHR), does the DUB YQ apply or UK YQ?

Thank you!
Are you booked DUB-LHR-US-LHR, or DUB-LHR-US-LHR-DUB and planning on dropping the last LHR-DUB? Are you going to be upgrading both LHR-US and US-LHR or just one of the two?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by polochick
You can check this fairly easily on ITA Matrix, but it's £386 in CW on that set of flights, versus £178 return if DUB was both the start and end point and £400 for a LHR start and end. So it's kind of a hybrid.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:16 pm

Thanks both for the very speedy replies! Was going to book DUB-LHR-XXX-LHR (without a final leg to DUB as I didn't want to skip it) and upgrade all of the legs (to CE and CW). Given I will be time rich on this trip I'll just book a DUB-LHR-XXX return instead for the lower YQ as the hybrid isn't very different to the LHR YQ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.