BA Voluntary Offload - non London airport

Old Dec 23, 19, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

BA Voluntary Offload - non London airport

I am due to fly in J from SYD -> LHR on the 3rd Jan on BA16.

The flight appears to be extremely busy, and I am curious to know if anyone has any experience with voluntary offloads? Some reports say that J voluntary offloads are not possible, and they are more difficult if you are airside, but would appreciate any insight (especially at SYD)....!
Old Dec 23, 19, 3:19 pm

I was asked by a manager once, got given a pre-paid card with 250 euro for my troubles and a ticket via ZRH. It was a ticket from MXP during fashion week. All in all fairly painless, however it's worth pointing out that it's worth checking straight away if the card works or not. It happened to me, when I was working at LHR, to be met by a very irate customer who was given a non-working card.
Old Dec 23, 19, 3:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well from personal experience, I know that is going to be a big, big travel day in Australia and looking at all the SYD-SIN services that day there are not many seats left on any airline. BA16 is full, except for a few seats at the front. BA tends to downgrade rather than offload First, CW or WTP, but passengers can ask to go the next day instead of a downgrade. As it happens it is First with a few seats available. My guess is that WT and WTP are overbooked, WT perhaps significantly so, CW is about correct. There won't be any staff standbys going, as things stand.

Now having said that, for all its IT failings it tends to get revenue management pretty well correct, so I would make no assumptions here, pretty much most people will travel as planned, quite possibly all of them. Moreover if there is a drought of seats on all airlines, there tends to be a shakedown of bookings about a week from travel, which has the impact of removing some of the double bookings that come from people trying to hold perhaps multiple reservations.
Old Dec 23, 19, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Always seems a bit odd to me the number of these threads that pop up. Why should you have a concern when you have a confirmed ticket on a flight? I fly LHR-JFK a lot and loads go out oversold, it's BA's issue to move people about with upgrades etc. Your chances of actually being offloaded must be about 0.00001%
abligh and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oneworldwheelsup View Post
I am due to fly in J from SYD -> LHR on the 3rd Jan on BA16.

The flight appears to be extremely busy, and I am curious to know if anyone has any experience with voluntary offloads? Some reports say that J voluntary offloads are not possible, and they are more difficult if you are airside, but would appreciate any insight (especially at SYD)....!
Reads as if you want to be off loaded.
This time of year fewer people are travelling for work (business class paid by employer). But many for personnel travel:---> very high loads.
Some class's may be over booked, but the flight may not be. Seats booked <= seats on aircraft. (upgrades~downgrades)
There are other flights SYD SIN/SYD LHR if an oversell happens, but they may be full
After immigration offloading would be difficult :- bureaucracy. If have checked bags even less so.
Old Dec 23, 19, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

That is correct! Wouldn't mind an extra night in Sydney......!
Old Dec 23, 19, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oneworldwheelsup View Post
That is correct! Wouldn't mind an extra night in Sydney......!
So phone BA and ask to change flights. Have your credit card ready !!!
To me very low chance a confirmed seat in J will be offloaded on the day
Flights departing Saturday 4 Jan & Sunday 5 Jan will be as busy, or more so

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23269884-post107.html
Overbooked - More passengers have booked on the flight than there are seats
Oversold - More passengers have turned up for the flight than there are seats

Overbooking occurs with the expectation that a certain percentage of passengers will not turn up/cancel. Overselling occurs when the airline has miscalculated the number of no shows/cancellations’
At this time of year I would expect most people to travel as booked

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 23, 19 at 3:42 pm
Old Dec 23, 19, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver,IHG Gold
We got VDB on a CX SIN>HKG>HEL>LHR>MAN (AY ticket) and re routed on BA16 direct to LHR, we considered this a win. although I was looking forward to trying CX J.
Old Dec 23, 19, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The chances of this happening are very slim. Thus, I would not do any planning around it. You could certainly ask at the counter on the day of travel, but don't expect anything to happen.
Bram likes this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 3:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
so I think the OP is looking for a VDB... why?
You booked a flight.. get on the flight.. have a great time, and if for some reason, they are looking for space.. then weigh up your options, and then choose.

Merry Christmas everyone
Old Dec 24, 19, 4:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
so I think the OP is looking for a VDB... why?
One of my tetchy annoyances is that many on FT - and I'm certainly not just getting at the OP - can be a little non specific in their posts. But in this case the OP has subsequently indicated they would ideally like an extra night in Australia so that they can leave on Saturday instead. Now it is best to be clear about that first, since if s/he wanted advice on that then it would be forthcoming:
- if you definitely want to do this, ring up and pay up, it probably won't be cheap, perhaps several hundred dollars.
- if you don't want to spend that some of money and you may be doing the same trip within 355 days of the original start date, then consider rebooking to the cheapest date in the future. If it is the return leg this may not be too prohibitive, though again it depends on the circumstance. Then find a Saturday travel arrangement which is cheaper than BA.
- if you're ok to take a punt that the flight is in fact overbooked, then look at the time of check-in opening in MMB, go to the airport at an early part of the check-in process and ask if they are looking for volunteers to go the next day. It's not totally clear which cabin the OP is travelling in, but if in CW I would say the chance of that is 20% or less.
- If on a redemption, various other factors apply.
Old Dec 24, 19, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
It's not totally clear which cabin the OP is travelling in, but if in CW I would say the chance of that is 20% or less.
ill trust your guess more than mine but for what itís worth, I was more in 5% or less territory! As you rightly say, ba has many options they are likely to like over taking someone off the flight especially as the next day also looks ultra busy anyway.
Old Dec 24, 19, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
One of my tetchy annoyances is that many on FT - and I'm certainly not just getting at the OP - can be a little non specific in their posts. But in this case the OP has subsequently indicated they would ideally like an extra night in Australia so that they can leave on Saturday instead. Now it is best to be clear about that first, since if s/he wanted advice on that then it would be forthcoming:
- if you definitely want to do this, ring up and pay up, it probably won't be cheap, perhaps several hundred dollars.
- if you don't want to spend that some of money and you may be doing the same trip within 355 days of the original start date, then consider rebooking to the cheapest date in the future. If it is the return leg this may not be too prohibitive, though again it depends on the circumstance. Then find a Saturday travel arrangement which is cheaper than BA.
- if you're ok to take a punt that the flight is in fact overbooked, then look at the time of check-in opening in MMB, go to the airport at an early part of the check-in process and ask if they are looking for volunteers to go the next day. It's not totally clear which cabin the OP is travelling in, but if in CW I would say the chance of that is 20% or less.
Well said.. the OP says traveling in J...
Old Dec 24, 19, 6:04 am

Programs: BA GGL (ex-CCR, future silver), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
In the US, there were 370k VDBs and 12k IDBs in 2018. That's out of 888 million pasengers flown. VDB was 1 in 2,400 passengers; so if we assume that only one passenger was VDBed from full flights, and assume 150 passengers/flight, 1 in 16 had any kind of VDB. Obviously if planes are super full on given days, that probabiilty will rise - but I suspect that most VDBs involve more than 1 passenger, too...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: