Big Coat when flying Club?

Old Dec 23, 19, 5:34 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 34
Big Coat when flying Club?

Hi,

Sorry if this is a well known thing. I am flying Club long haul soon, and I will probably need to take a big heavy coat woollen coat. The sort you wear over a suit.
Do 777s have space to hang this, or is my best bet to fold it and put it in the overhead locker?
watsonville is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 5:40 am
  #2  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 42,266
There is hanger space on 777s (and hooks in both CW and CS seats for temporary storage) but given the large number of coats forgotten on board it may be best to have the coat in baggage, cabin or checked.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:10 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: UK. BAEC AAdvantage
Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Posts: 3,349
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
There is hanger space on 777s (and hooks in both CW and CS seats for temporary storage) but given the large number of coats forgotten on board it may be best to have the coat in baggage, cabin or checked.
Agree with CWS, if you can pack it in your suitcase where it's easily accessible when you get to the other side it makes the journey so much easier. i do this when going to/from Australia although admittedly my coat won't be as big as the one you need for Moscow. Of course, that's assuming your bags get there. Last friend that flew to Moscow on BA lost her bags for 5 days.

Alternatively can you get a plastic bag that the coat will fit into? Wear the coat on so you don't get in trouble for having too many bags then unfold the plastic bag and fold your coat into it. I have a few large bags that I use for when I go to concerts etc to put my coat in and then under the seat. Protects from dirt and spilt drinks....
dddc is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:34 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,741
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
There is hanger space on 777s (and hooks in both CW and CS seats for temporary storage) but given the large number of coats forgotten on board it may be best to have the coat in baggage, cabin or checked.
Absolutely. Nothing more annoying to carry a heavy coat when it is so warm in the airport!
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:36 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 15,563
There is no hanging space for any coats on the B777 with the new Club Suites.
orbitmic likes this.
Can I help you is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:38 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,741
Don't people just shove it in the overhead compartment? (cue the people who get angry when you are creasing their jacket by putting your bag over it! ITS MY COMPARTMENT NOT YOURS)

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Dec 23, 19 at 6:54 am
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:39 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Posts: 11,464
just remember to take if off or you won't feel the benefit of it later
UKtravelbear is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:18 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 1066 Country
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
just remember to take if off or you won't feel the benefit of it later
Ah, just like grandma used to say
OddJobMan is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:56 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Ag, Ex VS Au, Avis Pres Club, Enterprise Plat, Ex Marriott Plat, HHonors Ag, Priority Club Au
Posts: 306
Once saw someone spend an entire 10 hour journey in Club wearing a full winter waterproof coat. Maybe she got cold easily or something but did look a little odd!
gliderpilot is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:42 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by dddc View Post
Agree with CWS, if you can pack it in your suitcase where it's easily accessible when you get to the other side it makes the journey so much easier. i do this when going to/from Australia although admittedly my coat won't be as big as the one you need for Moscow. Of course, that's assuming your bags get there. Last friend that flew to Moscow on BA lost her bags for 5 days.

Alternatively can you get a plastic bag that the coat will fit into? Wear the coat on so you don't get in trouble for having too many bags then unfold the plastic bag and fold your coat into it. I have a few large bags that I use for when I go to concerts etc to put my coat in and then under the seat. Protects from dirt and spilt drinks....
If your destination is very cold then I recomend you keep the coat in the cabin just in case your hold bag is delayed
wrp96 likes this.
onylon is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 11:31 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 450
Originally Posted by watsonville View Post

I am flying Club long haul soon, and I will probably need to take a big heavy coat woollen coat. The sort you wear over a suit.
The term we’re looking for here, I would suggest, is overcoat.

Disappointing to learn from CIHY that the refurbished 777s with Club Suites don’t have wardrobe/closet space for said items.

Doc Copper
DoctorCopper is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 12:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Taif, KSA
Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,848
Originally Posted by watsonville View Post
Hi,

Sorry if this is a well known thing. I am flying Club long haul soon, and I will probably need to take a big heavy coat woollen coat. The sort you wear over a suit.
Do 777s have space to hang this, or is my best bet to fold it and put it in the overhead locker?
It depends on wether you’re a southerner, northerner and the weather warnings.

For most southerners in the weather warnings you’ll be advised not to travel or go outside your property, if you’re a northerner with severe weather warnings of extremely cold temperatures, ice and snow then you’ll need your big coat.
Jamier45 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 19, 8:18 am
  #13  
amt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: HKG
Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Posts: 595
If you’re like me you’re laughing at the suggestion you pack a coat that takes half your suitcase (and risk freezing during a prolonged holiday travel baggage loss) or your entire carry on.

Many people travel with heavy leather or Fur... I recommend a light garment cover, I once put a new thick leather jacket in the upper deck closet of a QF 747, where after 10 hours next to an economy passengers wedding dress, hers stank of new leather and she had a fit demanding compensation and screaming that we had ruined her wedding...
amt is offline  
Old Dec 24, 19, 10:21 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 509
Originally Posted by dddc View Post
Agree with CWS, if you can pack it in your suitcase where it's easily accessible when you get to the other side it makes the journey so much easier. i do this when going to/from Australia although admittedly my coat won't be as big as the one you need for Moscow. Of course, that's assuming your bags get there. Last friend that flew to Moscow on BA lost her bags for 5 days.

Alternatively can you get a plastic bag that the coat will fit into? Wear the coat on so you don't get in trouble for having too many bags then unfold the plastic bag and fold your coat into it. I have a few large bags that I use for when I go to concerts etc to put my coat in and then under the seat. Protects from dirt and spilt drinks....
Like a trash bag?
footballfanatic is offline  
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:55 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Left coast US & "a tiny island across the sea"
Programs: MUCCI, BAEC GCH (currently), AA LTG (FWIW)
Posts: 2,109
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
There is no hanging space for any coats on the B777 with the new Club Suites.
Oh dear... that seems like a bit of an "enhancement!"

rb211.
RB211 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: