Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Harrogate Water Bottles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flatlander
I frankly wouldn't care if I got water from a simple tap connected to the public water supply, but so many people are very precious about wanting glorified water instead of thinking they are drinking the same as the hoi polloi that I'm sure it would receive complaints.
Neither would I, most of the time, and it would be far better for the environment than shipping the stuff round the globe in bottles. I think the main obstacle is not snobbery but inconsistency. In some places what comes out of the tap is heavily chlorinated. I can't see that going down well with BA's customers. On balance its probably best to stick with whisky.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I believe Harrogate water is a spring water and not a mineral water and therefore it wont be as stable over time. Also it could be that both odour and taste chemicals have not been added unlike general potable water in the network and hence it can be susceptible to these issues.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The first commercial bottlers of Harrogate water in the twentieth century were ICI, which then owned Crimple House, just South of Harrogate. That was where a natural stream was found.
Crimple House was the HQ of the ICI Fibres Division. It is now part of a Hospice Charity.
ICI got rid of the natural water business quite quickly. I have no idea who owns it now!
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flatlander

I frankly wouldn't care if I got water from a simple tap connected to the public water supply, but so many people are very precious about wanting glorified water instead of thinking they are drinking the same as the hoi polloi that I'm sure it would receive complaints.
I was brought up drinking Glasgow tap water which always tasted fine to me although the missus refused to drink it when we lived there. I think the tap water here also tastes okay but is warm most of the time so when thirsty I help myself to the 2 litre bottle of Villavicencio from Mendoza the wife always keeps in the fridge.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Harrogate is, after all, a spa and spa water is meant to taste vile as this means it is good for you. That said, I have not found it objectionable but if is economic to provide filtered water in terminals and lounges then it could help the plastic waste stream a lot.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by fripperies
Neither would I, most of the time, and it would be far better for the environment than shipping the stuff round the globe in bottles. I think the main obstacle is not snobbery but inconsistency. In some places what comes out of the tap is heavily chlorinated. I can't see that going down well with BA's customers. On balance its probably best to stick with whisky.
In ancient times people drink beer because it contains less bacteria than available water to keep themselves healthy.

Should we stick to gin in BA lounges for health reasons too?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Harrogate tastes fine to me, but the Sparkling version is not fizzy enough for me.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:39 am

I know what you mean but I’m certain what you’re describing is taint from the plastic bottle if it has been left in direct sunlight or somewhere warm. It’s quite common on Virgin Trains (the water isn’t Harrogate anymore) & I’ve also noticed it in some hotels. You are correct that Evian & Volvos seem to escape this problem as the plastic they use seems more robust than the slightly “crinkly” plastic used by Harrogate & others.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mda03jb
I know what you mean but I’m certain what you’re describing is taint from the plastic bottle if it has been left in direct sunlight or somewhere warm. It’s quite common on Virgin Trains (the water isn’t Harrogate anymore) & I’ve also noticed it in some hotels. You are correct that Evian & Volvos seem to escape this problem as the plastic they use seems more robust than the slightly “crinkly” plastic used by Harrogate & others.
I’ll try tasting the water from the glass bottles in the lounges and see if that also tastes weird like the water from the plastic bottles.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by starlight
I must say I noticed a rather unpleasant taste in the Harrogate sparkling water in the Manchester lounge on Friday. It is not my favoured water as I think it borders on having an almost sulphur or earthy taste to it.
I thought it had a strange taste on Thursday. Ice and lemon may have helped but I opted to just not drink it. Harrogate water on board tasted better.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Red, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
Harrogate tastes fine to me, but the Sparkling version is not fizzy enough for me.
The Harrogate sparkling version has all the taste of an empty co2 canister and about as much fizz...

It does seem that many places use Harrogate as their free water (Hilton check-in being another big one), which is down to the fact that it is one of, if not the cheapest to source in bulk, but this cheapness would appear to come at the cost of it tasting a bit like tap water from a bad area
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:52 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I remember watching a documentary on a BA flight some years ago where the sommelier from The Langham in London sand from other hotels blind taste waters. Among them were Voss (which at the titme was a designer water selling for around £15 a bottle in some restaurants and Fiji water. London's own tap water won.

Munich has a reputation for the tap water being better than mosst bottled.
HIDDY and MADPhil like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
So I tasted the water from the glass bottles and found that there is still an unpleasant taste but no way near as bad as from the plastic bottles. i also noticed that the plastic bottles have a green/brown tinge to them.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC GfL, currently GGL
Dasani used to be sold in the UK... until it was discovered that the bottling plant in Sidcup took the feedstock from the municipal (Thames Water) supply, de-chlorinated and de-mineralised it, and then added back the "special Dasani blend" of salts.

Oddly enough the market collapsed.

~edit - ignore me... already covered in #29 above

Last edited by furryman; Jan 2, 2020 at 4:33 am Reason: too slow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.