Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Free Wifi in FIRST

I missed this on the way out and paid!
Apparently it was rolled out in late November

Late to the party!
Old Dec 21, 19, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by allturnleft View Post
I missed this on the way out and paid!
Apparently it was rolled out in late November

Late to the party!
yes maybe we need a master thread as I only read about this inadvertently here having done several f trips on WiFi plane where I wouldnít bother trying to connect given what I knew of the normal prices. Itís bizarre to me that ba are doing this service improvement so confidentially instead of advertising it as a benefit of f on WiFi equipped planes (admittedly still few).
Old Dec 21, 19, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

And Lobster too Innovation City
Old Dec 21, 19, 9:42 pm

The WiFi roll-out has been discussed in a couple of threads, but not available in all planes. The roll-out has been very slow. I used the free WiFi in F last month on SEA-LHR and LHR-SEA, and it worked very well (although the FA was diligent in letting me know that there would be an extended dead zone over the pole).

Free WiFi for First Passengers

On-board WiFi: soft launch is underway
Crampedin13A and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 12:10 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
In fairness, itís been announced by cabin crew on my last few F flights, though indeed surprised we havenít been told itís part of the £6.5bn...maybe the lack of wifi on all aircraft is the reason for the shyness.

A genuine improvement for F pax, and from what Iíve been able to tell, it seems to be the faster version that is being provided. Had an issue on one flight that it wouldnít reconnect without paying later in the flight, after I stopped using it for a couple of hours, but generally it has worked very well.
Old Dec 22, 19, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Strictly one device only which is a bit mean, but it's definitely better than nothing! Has been flagged by crew on the F flights I've taken since the change.

Had the lobster also recently and had to do a double take to check I wasn't accidentally looking at an SQ menu! One of the best mains I've had on BA in forever.

jmj9905, orbitmic, frasier and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
Strictly one device only which is a bit mean,
I don't get why thats mean? Why would you really need more than one device? Giveth something for 'free' yet still complaints
Stormbel and Steve in Olympia like this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by gw76 View Post
I don't get why thats mean? Why would you really need more than one device? Giveth something for 'free' yet still complaints
The majority of the working population (and possibly the majority of F passengers overall?) fly with at least a laptop/iPad and a mobile. I don't think it's absurd to suggest BA could offer internet for at least two devices for F passengers.

The reason I'm providing constructive criticism is that I'm benchmarking it to other F products I fly which offer free WiFi without restricting the registration to a single device.
aristoph, psollitt, mrow and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Silver
A laptop and a phone. If working on a laptop (emailing or using cloud files) and you want to send a message using your phone.
psollitt and LBP2 like this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think if it was unlimited devices then pax could allow friends in other cabins to use for free, also crew too I guess
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I fly with five devices: two laptops (work and home), two mobiles (work and home, different country SIMs), and an iPad. I can't put work things on the home devices, and for various reasons it's a bad idea to put home things on the work devices. Five is admittedly unusual, but having both laptop and phone is not bizarre (and if you use e.g. WhatsApp you need your phone to have connectivity even when using the laptop client - so with a one device rule you are effectively choosing between your laptop working and WhatsApp working), and having home and work devices is not that unusual.

Human beings only having one pair of eyes and one set of fingers, I should think the bandwidth requirement for 2 devices operated by the same person is nothing like twice that for 1.
LBP2 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
I think if it was unlimited devices then pax could allow friends in other cabins to use for free, also crew too I guess
I guess it's the same issue with the paid access. Not enabling a single streaming service over a family of 4, each with their own device, is likely the driver of the restriction.

Less of a problem in First, as each seat get's its own free connection - but it would help if the limit could be one connected device at a time, instead of the rather blunt tool they use at the moment.

Last edited by LBP2; Dec 22, 19 at 3:18 am
Old Dec 22, 19, 3:11 am

Programs: British Airways
It was rolled out in late October. Used it in the beginning and end of November and was very impressed with the speed and how easy it was to get online using just seat number and surname.
Old Dec 22, 19, 3:12 am

Programs: BA
I was pleasantly surprised to see the free WiFi in First on my flight to JFK a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, the WiFi wasn't working, with the message "WiFi currently not available" displayed for the whole flight. And it wasn't working on my return flight a few days later either, so all rather frustrating really!
Old Dec 22, 19, 3:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Many phones allow you to share your WiFi as a hotspot. So, connect your phone to the WiFi, and then connect your other devices to the phone hotspot.
babats, Gastrocnemius and IJG2 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: