Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

If you had an unlimited number of Avios, would you still try and earn TP ?

If you had an unlimited number of Avios, would you still try and earn TP ?

Old Dec 19, 19, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Virgin, Marriott
Talking If you had an unlimited number of Avios, would you still try and earn TP ?

I know the question is hypothetical (for most anyway), but I thought this would make for an interesting discussion.

Let’s assume that through your credit card, you earned more Avios per year than you consumed, would you be happy to make all of your CE/CW/First bookings on points, and as such, see your status slowly lower to Blue?

If not, why not? Would you still look to make some cash bookings and get Silver or Gold status? Are there certain perks of being Silver/Gold that you value enough to pay unnecessary cash flights to get?

Discuss away!
Old Dec 19, 19, 3:05 pm

Yes. I value the Jokers that come with GGL. No point having all the Avios in the world but no way to redeem them.
hessbo and bisonrav like this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL PM/2MM, BA Premier, Marriott Platinum Titanium/Ambassador, UA Premier/1K
I agree, the jokers are the real plus, because otherwise there’s a risk that you won’t be able to redeem all those shiny Avios where/how you want to.
Old Dec 19, 19, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
I guess avios availability is pretty limited without jokers or gold redemptions....

I'd rather have unlimited £€$ than unlimited avios.
hessbo likes this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM/2MM, BA Premier, Marriott Platinum Titanium/Ambassador, UA Premier/1K
I hit reply too soon. CCR access regardless of class booked is very nice which one gets @ GGL w/5,000 TP.
Old Dec 19, 19, 4:11 pm

Don't give a stuff for TPs.

Live in Scotland, so BA not much use for short-haul - would rather take the train to London. Or direct flights to the Continent. So no need for lounge access there.

As a lowly Blue, I often use avios for F, since then there is no seat reservation fee. One trip, and one trip only, in the CW centre pair in a 747 downstairs from Denver!

Never travel long-haul other than in Business or F. And there are such good deals that I even pay cash now - BA to North America on avios is a joke with their fees - and I am off to Tanzania and South Africa on Swiss after their fab cash deal.

Last year it was Garuda from London to Melbourne in business for £1100 return!

So, BA fab for collecting avios. And I spend hem. But TPs - no use for me.
Modo and Scallywag72 like this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Virgin, Marriott
It's interesting that there are quite a few mentions of GGL here, as you'd still have to do a large amount of spend to get those 5000 TP... Is that really worth it when you can just pay taxes and redeem Avios on First/CW?

One of the reasons I asked this question is that I'm actually in a position where I earn more Avios then I redeem. I'm able to always fly CW or First (when available), yet something about flying First with a blue status doesn't feel quite right. I can't help but wonder if the cabin crew think that too. So in my case, even though I manage to do 95% of my flying with Avios, part of me still wants to (unnecessarily) spend £3000-5000 on cash flights to get Gold. Am I mad!?
Old Dec 19, 19, 5:43 pm

If you’re able to redeem your Avios easily for your chosen dates, then by all means fly F or J as Blue (nothing that feels “not quite right” with that). As long as you’re happy to be assigned seat by BA else it’s quite a pinch having to pay for seat assignment.
Old Dec 20, 19, 1:23 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by controlz View Post
Is that really worth it when you can just pay taxes and redeem Avios on First/CW?
No. But if I had an unlimited number of avios and no way to trigger availability I'd be lucky to fly F round trip twice a year and J twice more. So I'd be struggling to get the availability and dates I needed anyway, which means I may as well pay cash.

However, if the OP is able to get the avios he wants through spend, and that's enough to cover all his flying patterns then I wouldn't chase status for its own sake. Nothing wrong with being Blue in F - impressed on how you do it but you're not missing much by not being in row 1.
Old Dec 20, 19, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With LTG, no. GGL jokers are a remarkable benefit but 5000 TP to obtain is no picnic, and 3000 a year to maintain isn’t much fun either.
Old Dec 20, 19, 2:51 am

I've got my second ever F flight in 9 days to NY with a friend, paid for both using Avios (320,000) . Went in the summer in F (used a 2 for 1 voucher from Amex for that one + 160,000 Avios) . I'm blue, never even knew what tier points were at first, and i still have 0 tier points, but i do have 630,000 Avios + another 2 for 1 voucher sat in my account to use in the future. I've been lucky in finding availability when i want to go. I do not think being blue in First makes any difference, the cabin crew were amazing and could not have been anymore helpful or attentive when i flew in fact they chatted to myself and friend more than anybody else outbound . Having read more on this forum i would like the perks that come with Gold such as Joker but i'm never realistically going to fly enough to even get bronze i think.
Old Dec 20, 19, 3:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by controlz View Post

If not, why not?

Avios-spend isn't tax deductible (at least not easily justifiable in terms of the cash equivalent value) (although cash components are), and cannot easily claimed back as expenses from clients either

I don't go out of my way to earn the status in any way, and not really focused on TPs etc, but the need to purchase cash fares for aforementioned reasons results in earning them.

On top of that, I'm often too lazy to search extensively for redemption availability. If I want to fly on a specific date, I'm not going to shift it more than a day or two to find a redemption seat.
Old Dec 20, 19, 4:10 am

Although it's not the most cost effective way to use Avios, I would (and do) use them to discount the flights I take. So, I still earn Avios and TP on the trip but don't pay full price. Seems like a best of both worlds to me.
T8191 and Mountlodge like this.
Old Dec 20, 19, 6:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fluffymitten View Post
Although it's not the most cost effective way to use Avios, I would (and do) use them to discount the flights I take. So, I still earn Avios and TP on the trip but don't pay full price. Seems like a best of both worlds to me.
Except it's generally poor value for money. If you really, really can't find any other way of getting rid of your Avios then yes, fair enough. But unless there is a a deal on - usually once or twice a year - the value you're getting per Avios is around 0.6 or 0.7p. Sometimes the first small Avios contribution is in the 0.9p per Avios area. A decent UuA should bring extra 3p per Avios or more, RFS to money-printing routes can get to 6p per Avios. Even some wine deals are better part pay with Avios.

The BAEC annual deals, incidentally, only push you towards the 1.1 or 1.2p per Avios area.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 19, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I used to fly as Blue on avios only and it was absolutely fine. Mostly used avios for short haul and never had big problems with availability. There's nothing wrong with flying First and being blue. There are people flying First and not signing up to any programme. They just don't care. They buy tickets which suit them best on the airline they like and that's it.
Oaxaca and tynmar like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: