Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways Harrier Project [GPS Bag Tracker]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways Harrier Project [GPS Bag Tracker]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
I signed up - will use for first time next week to DXB
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 13901
The number you mention - which is not that far off the truth - is the number of short-shipped bags, for which a live tracking system has actually gone live internally earlier in the year (and that will, eventually, include partner airlines' too). But the key point is that those 300,000 bags are not lost in the sense of "don't know where they are". The airline, or its partners, know where they are, but the knowledge - up until now - might not be fully widespread.

For instance, you do a transfer DTW-ORD-LHR. Your bag is late out of T3, doesn't get to T5 in ORD in time to get on the BA296; AA knows where the bag is, BA ORD knows where the bag is when it hits them, but BA at large doesn't. So when you land, unless BA ORD has received the bag and created a "Forward message" for its new flight, BA Arrivals in T5 wouldn't really know what happened to the bag, because BA LHR Arrivals have no way of checking the automated status messages that the Chicago ORD baggage system is generating. But others do. Nominally, ORD.

The system that is being implemented internally allows everyone in BA to know that. It gets all the baggage scans from all BA airports and throws it into a database, where people can see where bags are in real time. Eventually I understand, or so it was when I left, that it'll wind up being used at all but the smallest airports and, even more eventually, it'll end up to the customer too.

What "project Harrier" does, instead, is to pre-empt the full loss of bags. The number is not 300,000 in your example, but more like 3,000 in your example (can't say the actual number though but it's lower than that). Bags like these go missing when they have no identifier (i.e. the bag tag is not there anymore and the bag look & feel doesn't match any lost report in the airline's database), and they're extremely rare. I say it again: when a bag is short-shipped during a transfer, there is knowledge of the whereabouts of the bag; that knowledge is not widespread, but it'll be once the tracking system is fully rolled out. What "Harrier" does, instead, is telling you "If your bag is short-shipped, and if it's no longer attached to its bag tag, and if no one recognises it as your bag based on your description, if you have this tracker, and if the tracker is active, then we can find it". Assuming that the tracker has enough power to penetrate the several meters of reinforced concrete and steel where the baggage systems normally are and where radio frequencies normally have trouble getting into.

I think there is, though, one point about "Harrier" that would be useful, and that is out-of-gauge baggage (and that was the feedback people smarter than me made when it was originally discussed). In most airports, bulky baggage doesn't go through the system and is very much a manual process. Where there's manual processes there's error and short-shipments for bulky bags are normally much higher (think 5-8%) than 'normal bags', which is an utter shame because it's mostly baby strollers, pushchairs and mobility aids and if there's one bag that should never miss its flight it's somebody's wheelchair. In 13901 Airways I'd care a lot more about a wheelchair than an F-passenger's bag, personally. That tracker would be great in those instances, provided it's also monitored by those responsible for moving the bags.

sorry, I wrote the Iliad again...
I tip my hat to you. Couldn't have explained it any better myself.

In fact I couldn't have explained it at all.
13901 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue
Mine arrived yesterday, similar size to an iPhone XR, will see how it goes. Seems to be tracking fine in the house but will see how it copes in an airport
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
Oh, so they really went live with that. In my experience, about 1% of bags miss their flight, and less than 1% of that 1% gets well and truly lost (because of the tag getting ripped, or whatever). So project "Harrier" helps 0.01% of BA's bags.
comparing the cost of lost baggage at that rate to the cost of the Harrier though...it might make sense!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
comparing the cost of lost baggage at that rate to the cost of the Harrier though...it might make sense!
Assuming it works, and assuming all the 'truly lost' bags (that 0.01%) had one of those things on.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:17 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
What about the cost of delayed flights? If a passenger can see their bags have not been loaded they might demand to be offloaded just as the flight is ready to depart.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Good experience using it for me ABZ-LHR-DXB. Able to see bag at LHR and also before it appeared in DXB
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Hello, is anyone still able to use this? I’ve just tried to update it through Facebook messenger and it seems like it has gone offline?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Did anyone else read the thread title and have visions of an aircraft landing vertically on an aircraft carrier at sea with the "Chatham Dockyard" livery on its tail?
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Did anyone else read the thread title and have visions of an aircraft landing vertically on an aircraft carrier at sea with the "Chatham Dockyard" livery on its tail?
now that would be something brilliant to see!
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think Boeing’s V-22 Osprey would be a better idea for passenger operations. Still not a lot of room in one of those.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
Mine is working and accepts flight registrations. I use Telegram not fb though
Old Oct 9, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
BA Harrier trial ended?

I've had one for a while. I'm not getting any response from [email protected] and it doesn't respond to the Telegram bot any more. Has the trial ended and the tracker no longer works? I haven't had anything from BA to say anything has changed.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by chipster
I've had one for a while. I'm not getting any response from [email protected] and it doesn't respond to the Telegram bot any more. Has the trial ended and the tracker no longer works? I haven't had anything from BA to say anything has changed.
GR7, GR9 or FA2? :-p
argonath likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 9:02 pm

Has the harrier tracker finished ?

Originally Posted by GBOAC
GR7, GR9 or FA2? :-p

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.