Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Fever Tree!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
I like the Fevertree light on it's own, I find it settles the stomach quite nicely.

Shame to see it go
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Forget the tonic!! Enjoy the gin with, if needed, a dash of whatever diluent is provided. I personally think Fever Tree is a millenium hype unless my taste buds have been dulled by gin before it became trendy
PUCCI GALORE, NoY and argonath like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
What does it matter, given BA's new 'Chuck in the whole miniature of gin and a random amount of tonic" approach to serving a G&T nowadays …. ?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TTmex
Can anyone recommend what tonic goes best with McDonalds chicken nuggets? It's for a friend who's flying in first next week.
Gaviscon.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by lcyguy
Agreed. Even the light version is sickly sweet
Light versions of all drinks almost invariably taste sweeter than regular ones
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I must be a cretin. Whenever I have a G&T I take no notice what the brand of Gin or Tonic it is. It's a case of over the lips past the gums look out stomach here it comes.
^
It doesn't always pay to have overly sensitive tastes.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Light versions of all drinks almost invariably taste sweeter than regular ones
Regular Schweppes tonic now contains artificial sweeteners, so I’ve stopped buying it.
NickB, Dambus, orbitmic and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: Some
BA need to be careful here, I vary what I drink between champagne and G&T and I think these tastes are representative of quite a lot of BA frequent fliers from what I observe (CE in particular seems like those are the only two drinks anyone has on a lot of flights). If there's no Fever-Tree to mix with the gin I'll be going back to champagne only which is surely a lot more expensive for BA to provide than a G&T. It doesn't take many people to think like this for the entire saving to be eaten up, especially in F/CCR where you're looking at passengers drinking LPGS instread of a G&T.

Fever-Tree is also such an easy win in BA's quest to market itself as a modern, British, premium brand; I hope this has been factored into whatever accountant-led analysis BA have done (yet again).
Buster, Dambus and cosmo74 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:39 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
Regular Schweppes tonic now contains artificial sweeteners, so I’ve stopped buying it.
Does it? I just might go back to buying it. Personally I thought the whole Fever Tree nonsense was basically all about hype and marketing and charge 3 times or more for the privilege. Oddly enough I don’t usually drink Gin and Slim. Now since Bombay Sapphire has vanished again from BA in flight Long Haul, I stick to Champagne. As for taking it off, I’m utterly indifferent. At least it’s Schweppes and not that Nordic stuff beloved of Iberia.

Oxon Flyer Darling. We’ve had this conversation about your Gin and Tonic on that wretched flight to Madrid before. When I get you into my house, you will have my Gin and Tonic and you will love it. It’s always measured and perfect. A bit like me. (Are you going to tell your wife or this this our secret?). You will not be the same man again.

The tonic will will not be Fever Tree I can’t afford the overpriced mixer and keep myself in tights and make-up!
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Another one here who doesn’t particularly like Fever Tree with Tanqueray - Schweppes works better with it.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The standard non-light versions of a lot of soft drinks now feature artificial sweeteners because of the sugar tax.

But forget all this nonsense about which tonic is best with gin, because the answer is bitter lemon - if you're fast enough to get the only one typically loaded on a long haul, and forget it if you're short haul.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
This. I can taste the sweetener in the regular Schweppes tonic, I've no idea why they have to do this. Fever Tree was all sugar, to the best of my knowledge, and did taste better for it. My mother is the same, and buy's LIDL's own tonic at home, as it is all sugar ! Or maye it's ALDI...
I don't do diet drinks.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think this is a real shame, I never used to like gin and tonic until Fever Tree came along as I really don't like the bitter taste of schweppes tonic. As another poster said, this will just drive me to drink more champagne so BA and their penny pinching may well end up costing them more money along with the customer bad will.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by T8191

i just went for quantity rather than quality elsewhere! R80 is about £4. Cheers ... *hic*

Ahah but they seem to love the "blue tonic" and the "pink tonic" out there and I'm not so sure on adding unnecessary artificial colourings for the sake of it (though their grapefruit tonic is actually ok!). Hendricks with Elderflower tonic would be my personal choice if BA want to go for something entirely idiosyncratic which will just please me!
Old Dec 20, 2019, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by xPositor
The standard non-light versions of a lot of soft drinks now feature artificial sweeteners because of the sugar tax.
As far as I can tell, via finding websites listing the ingredients going back over 5 years, Schweppes has always had both sugar and artificial sweeteners in it. However, the new 1783 range doesn't. Even the "light" version doesn't and is just a con, as it's full of sugar in different forms.

As the new Schweppes range is cheaper than Fever Tree with, as far as I can tell, no disadvantages (looking at the ingredients) I think BA did the right thing, especially if they got a deal on the 1783 range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.