Wiki Posts
Search

BA booking and EI "Aer Space"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
BA booking and EI "Aer Space"

I've done a quick search but can't find any definitive answers on this.

Booking a BA long haul in business (mix of D / I fares) and using EI for the DUB / LGW connector.

BA have booked the EI segment in Y. This appears to be the highest fare bucket available on the BA code share.

EI are advising me that to use the new "Aer Space" (blocked middle seat) the booking must be in J / C / I on the DUB/LGW sectors. These buckets only seems to exist on the EI prime number and not on the BA code share. Doing a quick check the same principle seems to apply to DUB / LHR flights.

Is "Aer Space" available on the connector flight on BA business / first bookings and whats the best way to go about booking it?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: Meh
I have flown BA F/D sector and only make Y in EI sector and often down back of the plane.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:59 am

EI refused to allow BA access to their Aer Space product, so it won’t be available to anyone on the BA coded flight regardless of how expensive their full itinerary is.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Just a quick update. Booked the DUB/LGW on the EI prime and there was no change in fare to get confirmed into J (Aer Space) on EI.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Confus
EI refused to allow BA access to their Aer Space product, so it won’t be available to anyone on the BA coded flight regardless of how expensive their full itinerary is.
Any idea to the background on this? Seems strange given IAG etc., and that connecting flights with CX / MH etc are booked into business with BA presumably willing to cough up for the premium charge involved?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I'd had a quick look using DUB-LHR-SIN as an example before you'd had a reply, so this may be redundant!

But you're right, BA do not offer any classes above Y on their EI codeshares.

I'd looked at BA in I class (was interested in savings, yes my mind wondered)

BA LHR-SIN in I was £3564
BA flight numbers on EI DUB-LHR and onto SIN (B/I/I/B) drops to £2115
EI flight numbers on EI DUB-LHR and onto SIN (A/J/J/Z) a snip at £10801 (note, all Business Fare Groups available on DUB-LHR-DUB)
BA metal throughout (J,I,I,J) £2118

Odd that I couldn't get the same fare using EI Prime Numbers, so well done you. My example is just a randomly picked one though!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
Any idea to the background on this? Seems strange given IAG etc., and that connecting flights with CX / MH etc are booked into business with BA presumably willing to cough up for the premium charge involved?
IAG doesn’t get involved in day-to-day management. The difference is that CX, MH (and BA) have full-sized business class cabins, not a ‘front row only’ limited to 4 seats max. With the high number of connecting customers EI didn't want those on (lower) connecting yields taking all 4 of their ‘premium’ seats and leaving none for those it was intended for.

BA connecting J pax will however be booked into the beds on the 32Q when that’s scheduled to London.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:46 am
Original Member

Programs: One World
While AerSpace might not be available because BA books into Y, you will have free access to pick any other seat including exit row seats ....
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by WVFM
While AerSpace might not be available because BA books into Y, you will have free access to pick any other seat including exit row seats ....

I had to pay to choose exit seats last month when connecting through LGW from DUB in J .
I am BA gold.
Never again will I connect with Aer Lingus, they were truly awful.
Didn't even allow lounge access.
Luckily I can access lounges in other ways, but no thanks to EI
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anniegray
Didn't even allow lounge access.
you should get access to the EI lounge at LHR T2 as a BA gold when on an EI flight.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I'd had a quick look using DUB-LHR-SIN as an example before you'd had a reply, so this may be redundant!

But you're right, BA do not offer any classes above Y on their EI codeshares.

I'd looked at BA in I class (was interested in savings, yes my mind wondered)

BA LHR-SIN in I was £3564
BA flight numbers on EI DUB-LHR and onto SIN (B/I/I/B) drops to £2115
EI flight numbers on EI DUB-LHR and onto SIN (A/J/J/Z) a snip at £10801 (note, all Business Fare Groups available on DUB-LHR-DUB)
BA metal throughout (J,I,I,J) £2118

Odd that I couldn't get the same fare using EI Prime Numbers, so well done you. My example is just a randomly picked one though!
It looks to me like it's down to what fare tables happen to have been loaded i.e. it's a little random? Going out DUB-PUJ I can get the EI prime on the DUB/LGW but it's not loaded as an option for an MCO-DUB return via LGW. The only option to return is on the BA codeshare which is capped at Y. Seems more random than strategy to me.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by WVFM
Unfortunately that isn’t my experience. Once I was at the back after no ability to choose seat. Once in 8A after I spent 45 minutes on a call with them arguing my case (I had nothing better to do) and once in 9F presumably because we were able to have BA check us in 28 hours before the flight.

Originally Posted by KARFA
you should get access to the EI lounge at LHR T2 as a BA gold when on an EI flight.
With the caveat there is no guest allowed or so I was told. Luckily they made ‘an exception because it isn’t busy’ a few weeks ago. We were very thankful for that on the day.

Last edited by SHT88T; Dec 19, 2019 at 11:02 am
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SHT88T
With the caveat there is no guest allowed or so I was told. Luckily they made ‘an exception because it isn’t busy’ a few weeks ago. We were very thankful for that on the day.
yes, no guests
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I booked a flight LHR-DUB-IAD for next summer in I class (all EI metal but BA flight numbers as I needed credit toward my 4 BA flights) - when I called to get seat assignments, the EI agent let me pick any seats I wanted for the DUB-IAD flight. For LHR-DUB, I looked at the seat map and it appeared to have the business class seats in the front, every single seat on the plane was empty. However, the agent told me (1) there was no business class on the plane and (2) in fact there were only three open seats left on the flight for next summer, in row 17 or something like that, and nothing else was available for assignment. I checked the seat map again after the call and it showed our three seats taken, and still every other seat on the plane unassigned so not sure what that was about.

I was going to give it another shot but based on this thread it sounds like I am not going to get business class on the LHR-DUB flight either way. Not a big deal on a short hop.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
When EI joins OW all these issues will go away...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.