Wiki Posts
Search

BA booking and EI "Aer Space"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
Any idea to the background on this? Seems strange given IAG etc., and that connecting flights with CX / MH etc are booked into business with BA presumably willing to cough up for the premium charge involved?
Maybe because EI doesn't want the cabin always filled up with BA longhaul pax, for which they likely get a small % only?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:52 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dambus
When EI joins OW all these issues will go away...
I would replace 'when' with 'if'
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:34 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
Just had a BA CE cancelled DUB-LHR and I’ve been rebooked onto EI. Will this be standard economy or AerSpace given the original booking was in business and it is connecting to a business flight?
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by mrdisco
Just had a BA CE cancelled DUB-LHR and I’ve been rebooked onto EI. Will this be standard economy or AerSpace given the original booking was in business and it is connecting to a business flight?
I would be asking for a refund for a start, as AerSpace is not business class. It is their highest economy class product in Europe.

On the Aer Lingus A320, AerSpace consists of four seats - 1AC and 1DF - with the middle seat kept free. You also get to choose from the Bia menu for free, which has just been updated as they reintroduced food two days ago on 1 December 2020. It's not much of a menu compared to before - https://www.aerlingus.com/media/pdfs/bia.pdf

If your flight is on an A321neo or an A330, then you'll get the Aer Lingus long-haul flat bed business class seats in AerSpace, but that depends if your booking will allow it.

To answer your question, I don't know whether you will be seated in AerSpace, but I wouldn't think it is worth it. I'd personally take the money for the downgrade
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:46 am

It’s part of a connection so I don’t want to cancel the entire trip for the sake of a 50 min spin to LHR in economy. I’m asking about Aer Space because the return is on the A330 and I want those seats! I’ll give EI a call and chance my arm (I’m concierge with them).
Old Dec 3, 2020, 3:01 am

It’s part of a connection so I don’t want to cancel the entire trip for the sake of a 50 min spin to LHR in economy. I’m asking about Aer Space because the return is on the A330 and I want those seats! I’ll give EI a call and chance my arm (I’m concierge with them).
Oh definitely ring EI then, if it's the A330 I'd also be pushing for it. Let us know what happens!
Old Dec 3, 2020, 3:06 am

You’ll be booked into standard EI economy. I’ve had this before and been told by BA they don’t have access to AerSpace inventory
SHT88T likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 3:55 am

No dice. Aer Lingus could give me any seat onboard outside of the Aer Space rows. I’ll ask again in the lounge at Heathrow on my way home.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:11 am

No dice. Aer Lingus could give me any seat onboard outside of the Aer Space rows. I’ll ask again in the lounge at Heathrow on my way home.
Shame. I would still check with BA to see if there is any refund due for the portion of your trip that has been downgraded.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Good luck! As andymcdonnell said, BA only have access to Y fare buckets. I had this happen to me last year from LHR to BHD. The options were, wait 12hrs for the next BA service for CE or accept economy on EI.

If you fight hard enough (if you can be bothered) BA might give you some Avios as compensation. From my experience, keep in mind that if you take the EI service BA will deem you to have accepted a voluntary downgrade.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
The compensation should be 75% of the cost of the fare, on a pro-rate basis for distance, I think? To be pedantic AerSpace is an Economy product and even if you were rebooked into it, you have been downgraded.
In real terms there is not much difference between AerSpace and Club Europe, but Flyertalk is the home of pedantic comparisons!
Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
In real terms there is not much difference between AerSpace and Club Europe, but Flyertalk is the home of pedantic comparisons!
In terms of the seat, they are virtually identical.

When it comes to meal service, drinks service, and service from the crew, BA are streets ahead. As it should be since one is business class and the other is economy with a seat beside you free and a free pick from the buy on board menu.

(To clarify, when I mean service from the crew, I am not saying BA crew are better than EI crew, just that BA crew will be more attentive to CE passengers due to the smaller cabin, dedicated crew member etc)
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
The compensation should be 75% of the cost of the fare, on a pro-rate basis for distance, I think? To be pedantic AerSpace is an Economy product and even if you were rebooked into it, you have been downgraded.
75% for longhaul. Shorthaul downgrade comp is 30% from memory
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
75% for longhaul. Shorthaul downgrade comp is 30% from memory
The OP mentions its a connection, if he is connecting for a destination more than 3500km then he would get 75%, I think. But there are so many interpretations and case law for each individual circumstance that it is terribly easy to get your wires crossed.

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
In terms of the seat, they are virtually identical.

When it comes to meal service, drinks service, and service from the crew, BA are streets ahead. As it should be since one is business class and the other is economy with a seat beside you free and a free pick from the buy on board menu.

(To clarify, when I mean service from the crew, I am not saying BA crew are better than EI crew, just that BA crew will be more attentive to CE passengers due to the smaller cabin, dedicated crew member etc)
I accept what you are saying. Although from Today EI are reintroducing the BoB service and presumably the AerSpace service too. Given the current CE catering they are fairly similar. If you happen to be on the A330 or A321 then you will have a lie-flat seat and dedicated cabin. I do agree though and I would expect the BA service to be, overall, more polished and the food more attractively presented with crockery, meal trays, etc.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The OP mentions its a connection, if he is connecting for a destination more than 3500km then he would get 75%, I think. But there are so many interpretations and case law for each individual circumstance that it is terribly easy to get your wires crossed.
If it is only the DUB flight which is downgraded I believe it is only 30%. See post 5 of the EC261 guide, specifically question A3.

The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
FlightDetective likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.