Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight Review - Boeing 789 - First Class - IAD to LHR

Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:40 am
Original Poster

I wrote up a review of the BA Lounge at IAD and the Concorde Dining. You can find that here.

This was a late flight with a 22:35 departure on 12-17-19.

Oddly, this was my first trip on a 787 of any type, and I really looked forward to it. I know the A350 is the new sexy thing out there, but this is a trip I'd looked forward to for some time.

This really isn't a review of the service in the air, but more of a commentary on the condition of the aircraft. My partner was not impressed with the service. She said it took 48 minutes for her to receive a refill on champagne after it she requested same. I thought the service was fine especially for such a late flight. I didn't have any trouble getting my one glass of champagne, PJs, and canapes. I didn't request any bedding, and went straight to sleep after that.

Like my review of the BA lounge at IAD, the condition of the aircraft was a whole other story aside from the service.

This was the condition of my partner's seat:

Light:

Controls:

Table area edge:

Didn't take a picture, but storage locker latch was also broken.

My seat wasn't broken, but it was absolutely filthy:

Arm rest area:

Closer shot:

Table area edge:

Bottle cap in floor:

Dirty window:

I have to say, I was really, really, really disappointed. I don't fly BA First a ton, but I've flown them an average of twice a year over the last 5 or so years, and this was by far the absolute worst. As some of you may know I've posted kind things about BA on this board in the past based on my previous experiences. This time was simply an unacceptable experience starting with the showers in the lounge, and ending w/ the condition of this aircraft. Any one of these things in isolation would not be a huge deal, but all combined? First Class seats are not taped together, and they do not have buttons so worn you can't tell how to operate them. They also are not disgusting filthy with bottle caps in the floor left over from a previous flight, and with windows covered in smudges.

I have to say, after this experience, if I didn't already have other trips in First booked in May and June of next year, I'd pick a different airline. I always thought many of you on this board were simply too picky, but if what you experience regularly is what I experienced on this trip then I totally understand your frustration.

I would like to know what you all think is the best way to bring this up to BA. To be clear, I don't look to receive anything by complaining. I simply want them to be better. I've had such great experiences with BA in the past. If I were the CEO of this airline, and what I experienced is what the folks under me who are responsible for customer experience believe are the conditions that pass for a First Class experience then I'd want to know. Someone would be dismissed. Period. Hard stop.

Last edited by ibmman69; Dec 19, 2019 at 6:02 am
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Ouch! Can't wait to see the pictures!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Photos added. Some of them rotated on their own, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Sorry.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: BA GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
Wow. Even on an old 747, I don't think I have seen F in such a poor state. And the 787 is the newest F cabin - I guess it says a lot about the quality which BA demanded from its suppliers when commissioning the new F, and the quality of maintenance once in service.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Wow. Just ....... wow.

Of all the premium seat photos posted here showing filthy / poorly maintained BA cabins, this set must surely rank amongst the very worst.

As regards how you should bring it to the attention of BA, I think the initial step would be to write expressing your thoughts and frustration in much the same vein as you have done here. It’s probably just as well you say you’re not looking to receive anything by complaining - because that’s most likely what will happen. Whether you will be reassured in any way, or find some comfort, in whatever response you receive from the airline is another matter entirely.
Dicksbits, becks1 and thomas164 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:12 am
Suspended

Wow. What a dumpster.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
I've never flown First on any airline, and it would be a hefty treat for me and the wife to travel in such a cabin, but as and when we do, it won't be with BA. What those photos show is a ruddy disgrace and I just do not understand how the airline lets it get that bad! How the cleaning firm or the airline can say that those seats are ready for boarding, boggles my mind!

OK, the materials used on or around the seats is obviously not up to scratch and it would take up precious time for the troublesome areas to be replaced or re-upholstered, but it really should be sorted! As for the seat etc buttons, youd expect that sort of wear and tear on the buttons on a radio of a 15 year old car, but not in this environment!

I cannot believe that these photos represent the same airline as the one portrayed on the TV where there was the lady walking around the cabin of a newly delivered A380 or 787 in her chemistry lab glasses, looking for tiny scratches on the plastic. Shed have her work cut out here!

To repeat myself, I cannot believe the airline continues to let the passengers see this!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, dear, that is seriously below par. I don't think I've encountered anything like that in CW.

Those controls look as if someone has passed the time by scratching them!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
I'm not excusing any of the above because it's not acceptable. However (and it may seem like it has ZERO impact) did you report the issues with the aircraft to the cabin crew and specifically the senior cabin crew member? The seat defects such as seat controls, reading light and damaged leather trim are known issues on the 787. If reported to the crew they're entered into the eLog and therefore there's a paper trail. BA love a paper trail.

For over a year now work has been in progress to resolve the leather trim issues and a fix is to be installed shortly. The 787-10 shouldn't have this particular issue due to design changes. The seat controls will get replaced if reported. To my knowledge the reading light issue hasn't been fixed.

As I said, not excusing anything you've raised or the amount of time it seems to take to resolve these issues.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, dear, that is seriously below par. I don't think I've encountered anything like that in CW.

Shows the sort of delights youre missing out on by flying CW instead of First .......
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
For over a year now work has been in progress to resolve the leather trim issues and a fix is to be installed shortly. The 787-10 shouldn't have this particular issue due to design changes. The seat controls will get replaced if reported. To my knowledge the reading light issue hasn't been fixed.
The subtext behind this is that BA very publicly featured these new seats in a TV documentary, which included an individual whose sole job it seemed to was nitpickingly examine every detail to ensure the highest quality.

How and why these materials and finishes subsequently fared so badly in service is a bit of a headscratcher.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
The subtext behind this is that BA very publicly featured these new seats in a TV documentary, which included an individual whose sole job it seemed to was nitpickingly examine every detail to ensure the highest quality.

How and why these materials and finishes subsequently fared so badly in service is a bit of a headscratcher.
I like BA and choose to fly them a lot but...is it really a headscratcher? Would any cabin look like this if it were properly cleaned and maintained? I'm not even talking about nitpickingly examining every detail, I'm talking about basic cleaning and fixing things that are worn out and broken.
gordon0808 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
That is absolutely shocking.
I hope this is not the plane I get to MEX on Monday, or I certainly will complain onboard
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

It also makes me wonder what kind of chavsters do the damage to these things in the first place? I mean look at the light fixture! Did someone try to pry it off?
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It also makes me wonder what kind of chavsters do the damage to these things in the first place? I mean look at the light fixture! Did someone try to pry it off?
I thought it was part of BA's new attempt at getting with the times featuring the popular 'distressed look' throughout the cabin.

They're really taken it to heart with distressed service and the grunge appeal when it comes to cabin cleaning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.