Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight Review - Boeing 789 - First Class - IAD to LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Review - Boeing 789 - First Class - IAD to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
You are right, wow, that is terrible.
Did you interpret her comment as her criticising Asians and others who are not living in the UK from birth? I actually interpreted it as the current cleaning staff of BA are from the people already in the UK, and they are not doing a good job because of her experience on board. Reading between the lines, this is because they have no motivation for the job. People with the correct motivation are from abroad, but they can't get cleaning jobs on BA aircraft, because of the extra difficulty for these people to pass the requirements of the airport security checks.
Isn't that what she is saying?
Did I get this wrong???
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yanshuf
Did you interpret her comment as her criticising Asians and others who are not living in the UK from birth? I actually interpreted it as the current cleaning staff of BA are from the people already in the UK, and they are not doing a good job because of her experience on board. Reading between the lines, this is because they have no motivation for the job. People with the correct motivation are from abroad, but they can't get cleaning jobs on BA aircraft, because of the extra difficulty for these people to pass the requirements of the airport security checks.
Isn't that what she is saying?
Did I get this wrong???
I try very hard not to make overgeneralizations about anyone -- except people who feel the need to shout very important things about business topics into their mobile phones while pacing back and forth throughout airport lounges

You will find that research suggests people from any walk of life are motivated in work when they are treated respectfully, paid fairly, well trained and supported. You will also find that even some men know how to clean
Old Dec 29, 2019, 8:37 am
Original Poster

UPDATE: I received a response from BA on the EC261 claim. They didn't even argue that issue, and said they'd deposit the money in my bank. Will they send it in Euro and have my bank do the conversion, or send it in Dollars? My calculation of what I'm owed in Dollars is about $8 off what they quoted in the email.

RE: My complaint about the aircraft and lounge conditions. I pretty much got lip service, and we both were gives 5k Avios. I really wish they hadn't given me anything as 5k Avios is more of an insult than anything.

This is what they said w/ regard to the cleanlieness issues raised:

___

We want to make sure your flight with us is relaxing. If there’s a problem on board one of our aircraft our cabin crew send a report straight to our Maintenance team when you land. They work hard to fix any issues they find as soon as possible and this means they’re able to carry out any repairs before the next service departs. However, I realise this doesn’t change how difficult your journey was.

Your seat is a very important part of our service. When something like this happens, our crew will try to resolve the issue. If we can find you another seat, we’ll try to move you, so please let our cabin crew know if you’re unhappy or uncomfortable.

We're sorry that you had to experience all these issues regarding cleanliness at the airport lounge and the faulty appliances on the aircraft. I've awarded you and your travel companion 5 000 Avios points each as a way of apology and thanks for your loyalty as Bronze members.

Thanks again for getting in touch. Please feel free to contact us if we can help you any further. We look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

____

I have not received a response to my tweet...just tweeted on it again.

Last edited by ibmman69; Dec 29, 2019 at 8:45 am
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ibmman69

Time to let it go, I fear....
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aristoph
Time to let it go, I fear....
Sad, but probably correct.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ibmman69

RE: My complaint about the aircraft and lounge conditions. I pretty much got lip service, and we both were gives 5k Avios. I really wish they hadn't given me anything as 5k Avios is more of an insult than anything.

.................................................. ............................

I hear what you say about “lip service”. But - whilst the letter is indeed pretty much an off-the-shelf response - I actually think the wording used is decent enough, until the sentence beginning “I’ve awarded you and your travel companion ...... at which point it all goes horribly wrong, with an offer rightly described in your own post as an insult, and probably worse than nothing.

All that said, there is little doubt how commercially attractive this strategy is if you consider it from BA’s perspective : they can 1) operate aircraft from time to time with unacceptable standards of cleanliness, 2) wait to see if a passenger formally complains, and 3) then offer a token gesture in the form of a few Avios which does virtually nothing to damage the healthy profit already yielded from the seat as sold to you

In short, an occasional award of this type reflects the low level of concern which this sort of incident causes BA, with the added benefit that 5K Avios costs the airline way, way, less than the implementation of a more rigorous cleaning regime ever would.

As for the lack of response to your tweet ...... I was under the impression that the twitter team were known for their speed of reaction / efficiency ... ?
Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
The 5K Avios is the standard amount you will get for whatever you complain pretty much. You might be able to get more if you refuse to accept the amount and escalate it. Some people have received much more Avios by doing that.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I remembered an earlier thread on F on the 789 being worn out. Here it is. Is it the same aircraft I wonder?

Filthy Cabin [787-9 from Mexico City]
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:27 am
Original Poster

A quick, even if a bit off topic, update. On BA213 today to Boston. Fairly clean cabin, and in good shape age considered. Better than the 789 for sure. Only thing really wrong with it is the life vest cover won't stay closed, and the USB port is broken. Crew is kind. For those who care, the service director came by, introduced herself, and asked if I needed anything. I brought the USB to her attention, but said it wasn't a problem as I have plenty of adapters.

Overall, this plane is miles ahead of the 789 in terms of interior quality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.