Redemption help [Business class to Doha]

Old Dec 19, 19, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Redemption help [Business class to Doha]

Hi All

I am hoping to reclaim my Avios over Easter for Business Class flights to Doha (ideally Q Suite on Qatar - travelling 2 adults / 18 month old).
However when going through BA book with Avios - it only returns the BA direct flight, or Qatar connections in FRA/MUC etc. I thought some of the many direct Qatar flights from LHR may have availability.

Have I fundamentally just misunderstood the redemption process or do they not show if no seats available? Again figured they might show but indicate "Sold Out" as the BA flights appear to.

Appreciate any tips...we are flexible on the dates over the 2 week holiday period.

Thanks
Mark
Old Dec 19, 19, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold / Miles and Smiles Elite / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Saunmj View Post
Hi All

I am hoping to reclaim my Avios over Easter for Business Class flights to Doha (ideally Q Suite on Qatar - travelling 2 adults / 18 month old).
However when going through BA book with Avios - it only returns the BA direct flight, or Qatar connections in FRA/MUC etc. I thought some of the many direct Qatar flights from LHR may have availability.

Have I fundamentally just misunderstood the redemption process or do they not show if no seats available? Again figured they might show but indicate "Sold Out" as the BA flights appear to.

Appreciate any tips...we are flexible on the dates over the 2 week holiday period.

Thanks
Mark

Think you need to read through the many pages on here on how to spend Avios.

Bottom line is that BA release 2 seats in J on every flight just after midnight (1am in summer) 355 days in advance. An entire industry has grown up around how to get these seats as at peak times (Easter Christmas School holidays) they are gone within seconds.

Availability then pops up randomly right up until the very last minute in both F and J.

You need to be both highly flexible and very lucky.

Good luck
Old Dec 19, 19, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Generally, if there are no available seats, none are shown. Two business class seats during a holiday period are always tough to get. Grab what you can while they are still there. Calling in may yield QR availability on the flights you want but I highly doubt it.
Old Dec 19, 19, 7:41 am

If you really want to fly QR, they have just launched some extra flights from Edinburgh - a very easy to get to airport.
Old Dec 19, 19, 7:51 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Worth pointing out that LHR-FRA can be very cheap for cash if booked far in advance, and a with a night in FRA the night before travel, this could be a major avios and cash saver at very little risk - especially as FRA-DOH is under 3k miles whereas LHR-DOH is above.
Old Dec 19, 19, 7:51 am

Programs: Spandau Ballet - Gold
My anecdotal experience is that searching for redemption availability with an infant on the search can sometimes affect what is shown (especially on partner redemptions). Maybe try the search without the infant on the booking and see if there is availability (which you could then book on the phone).
Old Dec 19, 19, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Searching 4 months out over a school holidays for a premium redemption isnít going to net you that much, unless Lagos or Riyadh appeal! DOH isnít the most obvious beach destination but QR do carry a long of paid connecting traffic (obviously) and will be holding seats for that.
ajeleonard likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: