FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA39 left from A10. Normal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2000466-ba39-left-a10-normal.html)

OGG flyer Dec 19, 2019 12:53 am

BA39 left from A10. Normal?

Recently I left on BA39 lhr-PKX from A10 on the bus to a very remote stand. Is it normal to have a long haul departing from A? I didn't mind much as it is nice to see the big bird up close but didn't think it made for a very premium experience. I paid avois but if I paid cash for J or F,then I might have felt a bit let down...

rossmacd Dec 19, 2019 12:56 am

Longhaul flights leave from A10 on a daily basis. There simply isn’t the capacity required at T5 to load all flights by jetbridge.

I’ve long held the opinion that, in some cases and airport dependent, disembarking by bus is a welcome addition, to avoid long walks, transit trains or long immigration lines.

The _Banking_Scot Dec 19, 2019 12:59 am

Hi.

It is not often but several flights a day are bussed from a10. I was bussed from a10 to the toronto flight in september ( paid f) and squashed into a bus is not a great experience esp with hand luggage as the bus moves
And seen some 747s use the a10 gate also

Regards

Tbs

noFODplease Dec 19, 2019 1:08 am

You can also be bussed from T5B gates which is even less ideal in some respects, having made it a distance already!

Swanhunter Dec 19, 2019 1:09 am

Normal and yes it’s a pretty poor experience. However for those with long memories it’s better then schlepping to the end of Victor zone at T4 and then being loaded on a bus...

scottishpoet Dec 19, 2019 1:12 am

Originally Posted by OGG flyer (Post 31855443)
Recently I left on BA39 lhr-PKX from A10 on the bus to a very remote stand. Is it normal to have a long haul departing from A? I didn't mind much as it is nice to see the big bird up close but didn't think it made for a very premium experience. I paid avois but if I paid cash for J or F,then I might have felt a bit let down...

In terms of 'departing from A', as well as the bus gates, you also get a long haul leaving from one of the gates at the south east corner, (a18?). This is a jetty so may be more of what you consider a 'premium experience'.

ratypus Dec 19, 2019 3:25 am

Yes, I have been boarded by bus from A10 onto a long-haul flight in First. Not a great departure experience if you get to the gate early for 'priority' boarding (since you end up waiting around on a bus rather than in your seat enjoying a drink). That said, if you know what A10 means (bus!) then it's very easy and convenient to sit in the lounge until close to departure and being last on. A10 is a very short hop down from Galleries First / Concorde.

LondonElite Dec 19, 2019 3:28 am

Originally Posted by OGG flyer (Post 31855443)

That could be said about many aspects of BA travel.

marconess Dec 19, 2019 3:29 am

Find it weird in a hub airport/terminal they can't arrange the first bus for just F or J passengers?

orbitmic Dec 19, 2019 3:38 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 31855453)
Longhaul flights leave from A10 on a daily basis. There simply isn’t the capacity required at T5 to load all flights by jetbridge.

I’ve long held the opinion that, in some cases and airport dependent, disembarking by bus is a welcome addition, to avoid long walks, transit trains or long immigration lines.

Indeed, long haul from A10 are every day, several times a day. And like you, I'd say that this may in some ways be preferable to some of the dodgier C gates. There are also bus stands from the remote terminals if you are "lucky" enough to get the worst of both worlds! :)

orbitmic Dec 19, 2019 3:40 am

Originally Posted by marconess (Post 31855709)
Find it weird in a hub airport/terminal they can't arrange the first bus for just F or J passengers?

J+F pax get a separate bus upon disembarking from remote gate, but not to board. This is usually enforced strictly (ie if you have 2 people in J, no one else will still be allowed in the bus).

scottishpoet Dec 19, 2019 4:00 am

With group 1 then group 2 being the firat to be boarded then firat bus is likely to be F/Gold and some J/silver so could so effectively is a 'priority bus'.

If in F you are then on board early enjoying you champers while Y , groups 4 and 5 are still being bussed

Bigbearcatcher Dec 19, 2019 5:58 am

Earlier this month I left from A10 on BA 249 to GIG (Rio) in paid J.

The first bus was basically group 1 and 2 and wasnt very busy so the premium cabins/status holders did get some benefit.

The aircraft was parked in a location in which I would describe as T5D so it was quite the bus journey

LHSEN Dec 19, 2019 6:05 am

Yes, bus gate, and I hated it.

Confus Dec 19, 2019 6:31 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 31855731)
There are also bus stands from the remote terminals if you are "lucky" enough to get the worst of both worlds! :)

There are no ‘bus gates’ at the satellites. US flights from remote stands ‘board’ from B46 - not a special gate, just the staircase part of a normal (large) one - to avoid the need for the SSSS security people to move their equipment back to A. Another example of ‘operational convenience’ taking priority over that of passengers, even though it requires a fair few additional staff standing outside on the ramp to marshal people around to the buses.