Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and China Southern Airlines Launch Joint Venture

British Airways and China Southern Airlines Launch Joint Venture

Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
There is a thread about this somewhere. BA has restricted availability in Asia via CX to late bookings owing to fraudulent activity. I hope this is what you mean by this.
Unfortunately you missed the recent developments that CX did severely restrict avios availability for tickets in and out of HK. This happened several months ago.
The late booking issue, guessed to be frzud relzted, is a very different issue.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by percysmith
But to many Chinese tourists heading into Europe , Britain is first point of call

And since they're going to get visa, which is normally handled by travel agency for then, not much bigger hurdle to get two
Simply not true.

Two visas = two fees = two sets of docs = two personal visits for biometrics. Just check data.

first of call is usually Paris.
percysmith likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Nice post and just to add, another reason China Eastern did not join (and there had been a central government statement that they wanted a Chinese airline in each alliance) was that the Chairman of China Southern (Liu Shaoyong?) who took CZ into SkyTeam then became Chairman of China Eastern and promptly took MU into SkyTeam as well. I do enjoy that irony
He is the biggest fan of SkyTeam and Airbus.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by brunos
Unfortunately you missed the recent developments that CX did severely restrict avios availability for tickets in and out of HK. This happened several months ago.
The late booking issue, guessed to be frzud relzted, is a very different issue.
Where is this thread? I'm assuming that this affects availability of CX fares into HKG from the US as well? If so, that might explain why I don't see any availability at all.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by percysmith
But to many Chinese tourists heading into Europe , Britain is first point of call
Define « many » I guess. In 2018, the five main European destinations for Chinese tourists were (in that order): France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Russia. The U.K. lagged badly behind the first ones of those (though Russia probably benefited from a football effect).

interestingly, i suspect that the visa issue you mention is precisely an aggravating reason for the uk’s poor place here (more tourists are simply interested in France, Italy, and Spain than the U.K. anyway but germany is less obvious). If you were a Chinese tourist on your trip of the lifetime to Europe, and you had a choice between a U.K. visa letting you visit the U.K. or a Schengen visa opening you the doors of France to Germany, Sweden to Greece and Spain to the Netherlands, which one do you think you’d be more likely to apply for?
SKRan, percysmith and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Define « many » I guess. In 2018, the five main European destinations for Chinese tourists were (in that order): France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Russia. The U.K. lagged badly behind the first ones of those (though Russia probably benefited from a football effect).

interestingly, i suspect that the visa issue you mention is precisely an aggravating reason for the uk’s poor place here (more tourists are simply interested in France, Italy, and Spain than the U.K. anyway but germany is less obvious). If you were a Chinese tourist on your trip of the lifetime to Europe, and you had a choice between a U.K. visa letting you visit the U.K. or a Schengen visa opening you the doors of France to Germany, Sweden to Greece and Spain to the Netherlands, which one do you think you’d be more likely to apply for?
In reality, France and Spain offer the fastest Shengen visas with minimal hassle. They often issue multiple year multiple entry visas to some people. Germany and Scandinavian is more strict.

UK visa is very very costly. You can use it to visit UK and Ireland, that’s it. A Schengen includes a lot of European countries and the ordinary people would select Paris and Rome instead of London and Dublin.

The direct airside transit visa requirement - which means a chinese passport holder requires to have a a visa to fly PVG-LHR-CDG stops BA from selling European tickets. Full stop.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic

LHGroup has extensive JV with Air China. This resulted with a lot of people entering Schengen area from FRA and MUC.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Do I understand correctly that we will only get avios on CZ if a BA-coded flight?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Do I understand correctly that we will only get avios on CZ if a BA-coded flight?
Hi,

I belive so.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Check back in ~6 months.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by our_kid
I wonder if they will join OneWorld any time soon?
Originally Posted by lsquare
So you don't see any possibility of CZ joining OW?
Obviously a little bit too much time spent in the bubble of the UK and BA. CZ has no reason to go for any alliance partnership as it now stands. Now that they have quite a lot of muscle, they can very well go the route of EK, EY and AS, which they've in fact now done. Besides having signed in 2019 agreements with AA and BA, they also have in place new mutual agremeents with most of their old SkyTeam partners (AF, KL, SV etc.). There's really not a lot to gain for them, taken how the JV route seems to work for them. They have more room for movement now.

Originally Posted by SKRan
UK visa is very very costly. You can use it to visit UK and Ireland, that’s it. A Schengen includes a lot of European countries and the ordinary people would select Paris and Rome instead of London and Dublin.
Indeed. If the UK would've opted to joint the Schengen agreement and not be the usual, grumpy island fortress, I would've been willing to bet that airports like EDI and CWL would've seen in the past decade that ended, Chinese carriers try to get international route permits to such destinations. If even KEF seems to be big and exotic enough for HO to start PVG-HEL-KEF in 2020, then why not even LBA or NCL... HO will start MAN and DUB this year, so the visa issue isn't apparently all too big, but I do assume it does limit how small airports in the CTA interest the Chinese airlines.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
CZ has no reason to go for any alliance partnership as it now stands. Now that they have quite a lot of muscle, they can very well go the route of EK, EY and AS, which they've in fact now done.
This is the key point. I often post about the fact that CX will not permit CZ to join OW, but the reality is that CZ doesn't want to join OW in the first place
Flying Yazata likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.